• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns for the poor

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Having said that, I do think a non-profit is a better way to go. That's what I was thinking when I mentioned the treasurer in my first post here.

The advertising/fund-raising benefits could serve several other purposes, including my own entertainment as the Seattle Times' refusal to carry the ad is published. Thus resulting in even more publicity.

DEROS72

imported post

It was just an Idea I had.It sounds like there could possibly be some real support.Get itup and going and ask Pelosi if we can start the progam in Her district!

New Daddy

imported post

Once you get your 501 paperwork in order, you'll qualify to do stuff like this:

http://www.opm.gov/cfc/Charities/ModelCharityApp2009.asp

Basically, you register and they publish your name in their book. For this one, all Federal employees get the opportunity to donate to you. I know that some of the local hospitals do something similar, but I'm not sure how to access their system - they probably use a vendor to run it.

SANDRAT

imported post

Not trying to give you a bad time at all Jim,it seems like these days if you move a finger the wrong way,someone is trying to take away your gun rights.

I actually have a couple of "Loaner" guns that people I know have borrowed in the past,they sometimes buy them from me,or return them after buying something else.

DEROS72

imported post

They will always try to take our rights away no matter what.Thats where we have to stand up for them no matter what they threaten....

1245A Defender

imported post

take a look at the thread about an idea about a private gun buy back program in the nevada forum. this could be a financiialily self sustaning by getting guns for cheap from ffolks that got guns they dont want, give the inexpensive gun to folks that need them, sell the quality guns to folks that can afford and use the funds to buy back more guns etc.

DEROS72

imported post

I heard that alot of the buy backs have people turning junk for the most part .But not a bad idea...

Trigger Dr

imported post

You are getting very close to the defination of a "dealer" with this idea be very careful with it although a good idea.

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
take a look at the thread about an idea about a private gun buy back program in the nevada forum. this could be a financiialily self sustaning by getting guns for cheap from ffolks that got guns they dont want, give the inexpensive gun to folks that need them, sell the quality guns to folks that can afford and use the funds to buy back more guns etc.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I don't think he is getting close to a dealer if run as a non-profit that funds personal purchases. Interesting , I wonder if this could work and how you could get the word out.

NRA has raffles, that support kid education could something like that work to start it off?

cynicist

imported post

I recall something a couple years back about Hugo Chavez buying thousands of AK47s to pass out in the slums. Close.

uncoolperson

imported post

give out gift cards of a very specific amount (gun+transfer+box of ammo) for a gunshop that is willing to help with this. I'd bet working with one shop would get the price knocked down alittle.

should help with the purchaser etc possible fun. (that's how those car dealerships did it right?)

compmanio365

imported post

Was just thinking that, actually. The car dealerships did this and it avoids the legal issues of not being an FFL entirely. The person who buys the gun still goes through NICS and buys from a store, so there is no issue with giving a felon or otherwise prohibited person a gun and ending up in serious hot water.

uncoolperson

imported post

could engrave "leased gun from such and such orginization, not to be sold" on them, give a few out and if they want to own their own talk the selected gun shop(s) into a discount or something.

too many people out there would turn them around to make a buck.

you could probably get this rolling fairly cheaply, I'll pledge enough to cover the first CPL app.

You could probably start collecting with the understanding that if this doesn't get off the ground by some date the donations are returned.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
give out gift cards of a very specific amount (gun+transfer+box of ammo) for a gunshop that is willing to help with this. I'd bet working with one shop would get the price knocked down alittle.

should help with the purchaser etc possible fun. (that's how those car dealerships did it right?)
I was thinking the same thing. I bet a shop like allegiance firearms would be willing to be in on something like this.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
give out gift cards of a very specific amount (gun+transfer+box of ammo + holster) for a gunshop that is willing to help with this. I'd bet working with one shop would get the price knocked down alittle.

Brilliant!

o2ryan

imported post

I love this idea! Once your non-profit is established I bet we could get dealers across the state involved. I would love to manage the Spokane branch of Guns-for-the-poor once you get established.