• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time for everything I guess...

PavePusher

imported post

Went to my favorite Tucson watering hole tonight. Did NOT consume anything with alcohol. Left at closing time (0200 hrs.). Decided to stop at the IHOP at 7945 E. Broadway for a meal 'cause I didn't feel like cooking when I got home. Was wearing boots, jeans, tucked-in short sleeve pull-over shirt and straw hat, PT1911 in Serpa paddleon right side, Fobus double mag holder paddle on left side. Removed hat when I went in the door. Let one fellow in ahead of me. When I got to the seating desk, an older lady dressed in black asked "Sir, are you a peace officer?".

I replied "No ma'am, I'm not."

"Well, we're going to have to ask you to leave your sidearmin your car."

"Oh, O.K., I'm very sorry. Have a good night."

Iturned around, left the building, returned to my car and went home.

I was not wearing my recorder, as I have eaten while O.C.ing several times at the Grant IHOP with no problems, although that was over a year ago. Idid not question them about this as I did not want to make any disturbance at 2 in the A.M., being a little tired. I also forgot to check the outside of the door to see if it wasposted, there was nothing on the inside of the door except a "No Smoking" decal.

Ihave to go back into town tomorrow, I'm going to check to see if they are posted. If not, I will probably try to eat again.I will try to speak to a manager and find out if this is an official policy by the corperation or this individual franchise, or something their staff is doing independantly. If it is official, I will let them know that they have lost at least one customer, and that information will beposted onthis web board, potentially loosing them more customers. I'll also bee-mailing and possibly paper-mailing them. I took a few pictures of myself and my clothing when I got home,just to document my non-offensiveness.:)

Is there an Arizona O.C. pamphlet around? I can't remember if someone put one together or not, to late, I'm tired and I'll search more tomorrow. Just wanted to get the details downto help me remember everything. I'llpost an update later.:?

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The 3 or 4 IHOP's near my house are posted with no guns allowed signs - IIRC, they're small signs with a picture of a pistol with the red circle and red line through it that also say "No Firearms Allowed", something like that.

PavePusher

imported post

Dragonflydf wrote:
A lot of us carry something like this in our wallets for just such a event

[url]http://www.azcdl.org/NoGunsFrontBusCardTemplate1b.doc[/url]
http://www.azcdl.org/NoGunsBackBusCardTemplate1b.doc

I have handed out a few of them myself.

Bingo. I thought that's were it was and I was going to search today, just to darn tired last night. Thanks!

ETA: Right, that's the one I actually have a hand-full of. I stopped carrying them because I litterally never had to use them. That'll learn me. They have been dug out of a drawer and are back in my wallet/pocket/car console now. Sigh.

PavePusher

imported post

O.K., partial follow-up: I didn't make it back to IHOP yet. I had to pick up two new airmen at the airport this morning. O.C.'d there as usual, no problems. Got the new kids, one had his bags left in Chicago due to late arrival and 20 minutes to get to the other side of O'Hare to catch his connection. Stopped to feed them at Denny's on Valencia near the airport, no signs, no problems. Went to base (did something appropriate with sidearm before going on base), got them into temp rooms, gave them a short tour of base and left them to collapse in air conditioning. Left base, retreived side arm and decided I was to tired to check on IHOP, so I'm at home and going to take a nap.

I'll check out IHOP on my way home tomorrow.

Brian D.

imported post

Here in Ohio some of the IHOP's are open 24/7. While they have no problem acceptingdining business from, uh, extralegal recreational pharmaceutical entrepreneurs and their ilk during the overnight hours, they just flat "feel better" by politely askingEVERYONE to keep their firearms out of the restaurants. Perhaps that mindset is true chainwide (?)

In my case that just means 'No Guns No Money" cards for IHOP, and eating at the nearby (firearms friendly, to date anyhow) Steak 'n' Shake. Less deadly carbs at the latter anyhow, which keeps me a little more fit and trim. :lol:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I know where it is, but not beeen in there. 'Seems I've been in the one on Ina near the RR crossing 'couple years ago w/o incident. I dunno... I really don't frequent those joints all that much to bother about it. I'm familiar with the 'extralegal recreational pharmaceutical entrepreneurs' but doubt they ply their trade on that end of Marana.

PavePusher

imported post

Aargh. Still haven't managed to follow up on this, probably won't get to it until this weekend. We have a major inspection coming up, I just got a promotion and a job step-up, so I'm trying to play catch-up getting everything in order. 12 hour shifts are my SHORT days right now, did 17 hours yesterday.

I will get back to this, please bear with me. :?

UtahRSO

imported post

One of the first places I ever OC'ed was IHOP. Strong side facing out of the booth, and the guy who serviced us asked if I was LE. I told him "no," and explained it was legal andfor self-protection. His only comment was "Cool!"

JSK333

imported post

Brian D. wrote:
Here in Ohio some of the IHOP's are open 24/7. While they have no problem acceptingdining business from, uh, extralegal recreational pharmaceutical entrepreneurs and their ilk during the overnight hours, they just flat "feel better" by politely askingEVERYONE to keep their firearms out of the restaurants. Perhaps that mindset is true chainwide (?)
Which ones in Cincinnati? The one on Colerain Ave. doesn't have a sign, last time I was there a few months ago.