Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Michigan resident buying pistol in Indiana

  1. #1
    Regular Member hopnpop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paw Paw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    635

    Post imported post

    I'm a Michigan resident with Michigan CPL and I found a gun on gunbroker.com that I'm interested in. The seller is an FFL dealer in Indiana. Instead of paying the shipping, I'd rather drive down and pick it up myself. Can someone tell me what they know of how I'd go about buying a pistol out-of-state? Do I need to apply for an Indiana permit to purchase? I know the CPL exempts a permit to purchase in THIS state, but...theirs?
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    Federal law doesn't allow that, unless you have a FFL yourself.

    If it was a C & R pistol, and you had a C & R license, you could do it. If you had a regular FFL, you could get it for sure. But I take it neither is the case, so you will have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer in Michigan, and pay shipping and FFL handling fees.

    Out of state handgun purchases are a pretty big no no in Michigan. In free states there is no such thing as handgun registration, and it would be easier to feloniously break the law and get away with, and I'm sure it's done all the time. But there is simply no way you can do it and stay legal.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  3. #3
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    hopnpop wrote:
    I'm a Michigan resident with Michigan CPL and I found a gun on gunbroker.com that I'm interested in. The seller is an FFL dealer in Indiana. Instead of paying the shipping, I'd rather drive down and pick it up myself. Can someone tell me what they know of how I'd go about buying a pistol out-of-state? Do I need to apply for an Indiana permit to purchase? I know the CPL exempts a permit to purchase in THIS state, but...theirs?
    I believe your best bet is to have it transferred to a FFL here in the state to perform transfer. I seem to recall an issue with "interstate commerce" or something to that effect that makes driving down there and buying it an issue. You might want to check with an FFL to discuss, as they would probably know the law better.

    The following seems to address this from mi.gov: http://www.michigan.gov/statelicensesearch/0,1607,7-180-24786_24813-81155--,00.html

    Side Note: I loved the pics of the kayaks, I have the same one (dimension). I love running the Pine River in Manistee National Forest with it (Dobson to Pete to LowBridge, and Skookum to old Carl's Canoe). I use PRPC (http://www.thepineriver.com ) to help with put in and take out when I am by myself.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  4. #4
    Regular Member hopnpop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paw Paw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    635

    Post imported post

    NOT what I wanted to hear!! That's just bogus...the gun'sabout $100 cheaper at that shop than I've found anywhere here in MI. So...$25 for shipping, $25 fee to use FFL dealer... That really stinks. I appreciate the info, just disappointing. I wonder what the big deal is. I'm 100% legit here, why wouldn't I be 100% legit there, 100 miles away? Wow that's really lousy. ...without an FFL (I don't even know what a C & R is) one is restricted to in-state-ONLY gun purchases. What a disappointment. So, theoretically, average Joe wouldn't be able to buy a gun while on vacation anywhere out-of-state. Blasphemy!!
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

  5. #5
    Regular Member hopnpop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paw Paw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    635

    Post imported post

    PDinDetroit wrote:
    I believe your best bet is to have it transferred to a FFL here in the state to perform transfer...
    Side Note: I loved the pics of the kayaks, I have the same one (dimension). I love running the Pine River in Manistee National Forest with it (Dobson to Pete to LowBridge, and Skookum to old Carl's Canoe). I use PRPC (http://www.thepineriver.com ) to help with put in and take out when I am by myself.
    Thanks for the info. Not the info I wanted to hear but thanks nonetheless. I just thought I might have a couple of hoops to jump thru to purchase in Indiana, didn't think it would be a big deal. Guess it shows what I know. Guess I'll keep shopping 'round Michigan.

    Sidenote: thanks, re: the pics. I do love paddling! My wife & I have spend nearly all of our river time on the Muskegon. I've heard of some good runs on the Pine, tho. If you get the chance, I highly recommend picking up the book "Paddling Michigan", it's my bible!! I only do rivers when I have my wife with me, so we've got 2 vehicles for put-in/take-outs. When alone I generally just paddle lakes. Good times tho.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

  6. #6
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    hopnpop wrote:
    PDinDetroit wrote:
    I believe your best bet is to have it transferred to a FFL here in the state to perform transfer...
    Side Note: I loved the pics of the kayaks, I have the same one (dimension). I love running the Pine River in Manistee National Forest with it (Dobson to Pete to LowBridge, and Skookum to old Carl's Canoe). I use PRPC (http://www.thepineriver.com ) to help with put in and take out when I am by myself.
    Thanks for the info. Not the info I wanted to hear but thanks nonetheless. I just thought I might have a couple of hoops to jump thru to purchase in Indiana, didn't think it would be a big deal. Guess it shows what I know. Guess I'll keep shopping 'round Michigan.

    Sidenote: thanks, re: the pics. I do love paddling! My wife & I have spend nearly all of our river time on the Muskegon. I've heard of some good runs on the Pine, tho. If you get the chance, I highly recommend picking up the book "Paddling Michigan", it's my bible!! I only do rivers when I have my wife with me, so we've got 2 vehicles for put-in/take-outs. When alone I generally just paddle lakes. Good times tho.
    I found a gun out of state that I wanted to buy, but decided against it since I had to pay the "handling fees" for an FFL Transfer (not saying to do the same though). I believe it is due to different states, different firearms laws, with the Federal Gov't "regulating" the sale/transfer. This is probably why Montana and other states (MI) have or are working on legislation that keeps the Feds out of the process if it stays within the state when the items are made within same said state (there is other thread about this).
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  7. #7
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    A C&R is a FFL03 that is for collectors of Curio and Relic firearms... You know that purty pistol I was carrying at the portage picnic? That was a CZ 82 that I paid 175.00 for! Sweet little carry gun. And I orderd it from Ohio. There is a list of firearms that qualify ... on the BATF website.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  8. #8
    Regular Member hopnpop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paw Paw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    635

    Post imported post

    LOL well believe me, an XD wouldn't make that list - but thanks.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

  9. #9
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Yeah not likely... for another 43 years or so...
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •