• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan resident buying pistol in Indiana

hopnpop

imported post

I'm a Michigan resident with Michigan CPL and I found a gun on gunbroker.com that I'm interested in. The seller is an FFL dealer in Indiana. Instead of paying the shipping, I'd rather drive down and pick it up myself. Can someone tell me what they know of how I'd go about buying a pistol out-of-state? Do I need to apply for an Indiana permit to purchase? I know the CPL exempts a permit to purchase in THIS state, but...theirs?

Michigander

imported post

Federal law doesn't allow that, unless you have a FFL yourself.

If it was a C & R pistol, and you had a C & R license, you could do it. If you had a regular FFL, you could get it for sure. But I take it neither is the case, so you will have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer in Michigan, and pay shipping and FFL handling fees.

Out of state handgun purchases are a pretty big no no in Michigan. In free states there is no such thing as handgun registration, and it would be easier to feloniously break the law and get away with, and I'm sure it's done all the time. But there is simply no way you can do it and stay legal.

PDinDetroit

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
I'm a Michigan resident with Michigan CPL and I found a gun on gunbroker.com that I'm interested in. The seller is an FFL dealer in Indiana. Instead of paying the shipping, I'd rather drive down and pick it up myself. Can someone tell me what they know of how I'd go about buying a pistol out-of-state? Do I need to apply for an Indiana permit to purchase? I know the CPL exempts a permit to purchase in THIS state, but...theirs?
I believe your best bet is to have it transferred to a FFL here in the state to perform transfer. I seem to recall an issue with "interstate commerce" or something to that effect that makes driving down there and buying it an issue. You might want to check with an FFL to discuss, as they would probably know the law better.

The following seems to address this from mi.gov: http://www.michigan.gov/statelicensesearch/0,1607,7-180-24786_24813-81155--,00.html

Side Note: I loved the pics of the kayaks, I have the same one (dimension). I love running the Pine River in Manistee National Forest with it (Dobson to Pete to LowBridge, and Skookum to old Carl's Canoe). I use PRPC ( http://www.thepineriver.com ) to help with put in and take out when I am by myself.

hopnpop

imported post

:banghead: NOT what I wanted to hear!! That's just bogus...the gun'sabout $100 cheaper at that shop than I've found anywhere here in MI. So...$25 for shipping, $25 fee to use FFL dealer... That really stinks. I appreciate the info, just disappointing. I wonder what the big deal is. I'm 100% legit here, why wouldn't I be 100% legit there, 100 miles away? Wow that's really lousy. ...without an FFL (I don't even know what a C & R is) one is restricted to in-state-ONLY gun purchases. What a disappointment. So, theoretically, average Joe wouldn't be able to buy a gun while on vacation anywhere out-of-state. Blasphemy!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

hopnpop

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
I believe your best bet is to have it transferred to a FFL here in the state to perform transfer...
Side Note: I loved the pics of the kayaks, I have the same one (dimension). I love running the Pine River in Manistee National Forest with it (Dobson to Pete to LowBridge, and Skookum to old Carl's Canoe). I use PRPC ( http://www.thepineriver.com ) to help with put in and take out when I am by myself.

Thanks for the info. Not the info I wanted to hear but thanks nonetheless. I just thought I might have a couple of hoops to jump thru to purchase in Indiana, didn't think it would be a big deal. Guess it shows what I know. Guess I'll keep shopping 'round Michigan.

Sidenote: thanks, re: the pics. I do love paddling! My wife & I have spend nearly all of our river time on the Muskegon. I've heard of some good runs on the Pine, tho. If you get the chance, I highly recommend picking up the book "Paddling Michigan", it's my bible!! I only do rivers when I have my wife with me, so we've got 2 vehicles for put-in/take-outs. When alone I generally just paddle lakes. :cry:Good times tho.

PDinDetroit

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:
I believe your best bet is to have it transferred to a FFL here in the state to perform transfer...

Thanks for the info. Not the info I wanted to hear but thanks nonetheless. I just thought I might have a couple of hoops to jump thru to purchase in Indiana, didn't think it would be a big deal. Guess it shows what I know. Guess I'll keep shopping 'round Michigan.

Sidenote: thanks, re: the pics. I do love paddling! My wife & I have spend nearly all of our river time on the Muskegon. I've heard of some good runs on the Pine, tho. If you get the chance, I highly recommend picking up the book "Paddling Michigan", it's my bible!! I only do rivers when I have my wife with me, so we've got 2 vehicles for put-in/take-outs. When alone I generally just paddle lakes. :cry:Good times tho.
I found a gun out of state that I wanted to buy, but decided against it since I had to pay the "handling fees" for an FFL Transfer (not saying to do the same though). I believe it is due to different states, different firearms laws, with the Federal Gov't "regulating" the sale/transfer. This is probably why Montana and other states (MI) have or are working on legislation that keeps the Feds out of the process if it stays within the state when the items are made within same said state (there is other thread about this).

autosurgeon

imported post

A C&R is a FFL03 that is for collectors of Curio and Relic firearms... You know that purty pistol I was carrying at the portage picnic? That was a CZ 82 that I paid 175.00 for! Sweet little carry gun. And I orderd it from Ohio. There is a list of firearms that qualify ... on the BATF website.