• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying pistol in another state

hopnpop

imported post

I'ma Michigan resident who found a nice pistol for sale in Indiana. What's the procedure for purchasing a pistol in Indiana? Does one have to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun? Here in Michigan, having a CPL (LTCH to you Hoosiers) exempts me from having to obtain a permit to purchase. I don't know if that would have any bearing on an out-of-state purchase tho. Does a LTCH exempt you from having to get a permit to purchase? Does Indiana even HAVE permits to purchase? I'd like input from anyone who's knowledgable on this matter please.

hopnpop

imported post

DISREGARD - quickly learned that out-of-state purchases without a FFL is big no-no. That really stinks but it is what it is. :banghead:

DMWyatt

imported post

All you have to do is get a local shop to have the gun shipped to and execute the transfer like you would any other purchase. Is there something in MI law that would prevent the sale? How are internet purchases handled in MI?

hopnpop

imported post

DMWyatt wrote:
All you have to do is get a local shop to have the gun shipped to and execute the transfer like you would any other purchase. Is there something in MI law that would prevent the sale? How are internet purchases handled in MI?
Has to be shipped to someone with FFL license if it's an out-of-state transfer... dealers. I was just trying to avoid the $25 for shipping and $25 fee from the local shop to use them as transfer medium.