• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Virginia CHP is a kind of CWP/CCW Permit/CC License

virginiatuck

imported post

nova wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding this topic but here and on other gun websites. Some of my pet peeves are also magazines vs clips, pistols vs revolvers, and the big one; semi-automatic rifles vs assault rifles. If we use the correct acronym for our Virginia concealed carry permits, it would have to be PCCH (Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun) since that follows the accepted acronym translation of the permit's title. But that makes little sense to most, so it has been shortened and turned around to be CHP. I certainly have no problem with that one.

Now as for weapon, if we accept current definitions of the term then a handgun is indeed a weapon. However in the more classic sense, a weapon was deemed to be an offensive arm if I'm not mistaken, and handguns were classed as defensive arms. So what is it really? I tend to use "weapon" a lot of times when referring to my sidearm, but I imagine that is not entirely correct.

Comments and corrections are most appreciated with this.
In VA legis code it is called both a "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun" as well as "Concealed Handgun Permit".
Oh, a PTCACH. That has a ring to it... pee-tee-catch.

It's proper when you want to use an acronym that in the first usage you preface it with the words spelled out like so: A Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) is a Permit To Carry A Concealed Handgun (PTCACH). Then you may use CHP and PTCACH independently.

Online forums and mailing lists are different in that they're like one long, ongoing document where the acronyms should have already been spelled out once a long time ago. Common acronyms in use on Open Carry Dot Org (OCDO), no matter which sub-forum, should probably be defined in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section.

Something like this, with the local jargon, would be helpful for some people.

Regular_Joe

imported post

This rabbit trail is helpful to us new folks. We have some awesome State Police, Town Police Dept. and Sheriff's Office here locally, and I want to be technically accurate when I run into them and need to chat regarding my open carry.

Also, when it comes to responding to OC-related questions or comments from the general public, it is beneficial to know the legal terms as well as commonly used phrases to better explain the Open Carry environment here in our state.

Finally, when traveling out of state, it is good to know the difference between the generic and specific.

Common acronyms in use on Open Carry Dot Org (OCDO), no matter which sub-forum, should probably be defined in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section.
This is an excellent idea - I spent some time looking around for a list of commonly-used terms (glossary) when I first became interested in OC/CC. Having a community-fed and moderated glossary/acronym list would be very helpful and reduce the amount of time I spend searching for definitions.

IMHO YMBR, CWP = CHP, IANA but OCDO mods and PVC/VCDL agree whether you OC or CC its RKBA & 2A that's +, YMMV.
Ok...now your just killing me...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
Common acronyms in use on Open Carry Dot Org (OCDO), no matter which sub-forum, should probably be defined in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section.
This is an excellent idea - I spent some time looking around for a list of commonly-used terms (glossary) when I first became interested in OC/CC. Having a community-fed and moderated glossary/acronym list would be very helpful and reduce the amount of time I spend searching for definitions.
Here are a couple of helpful threads:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=27757&forum_id=65&highlight=acronyms

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/13705.html

Yata hey