• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Virginia CHP is a kind of CWP/CCW Permit/CC License

TexasNative

imported post

ed wrote:
...people look to us (OC'ers as an "authority"). So IMHO, I think it is important that I (or we if you agree) call the permits CHP's instead of CCWs, Magazines instead of clips and (here we go) guns, pistols, kimbers, glocks, ect. instead of WEAPONS.

:dude:
Clips aren't magazines, and magazines aren't clips, so that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

On the other hand, guns are indeed weapons, so it's not inherently wrong to call them that. I happen to not use the term regularly because I think it can cast an unfavorable light on firearms when we call them weapons, but it's certainly not an incorrect term.

The same goes for CHP vs CWP or CCW permit or CC license, or other similar generic terms. The CHP is the Virginia-specific version of a concealed carry license. Calling it a CWP isn't wrong, because it is a permit to carry a concealed weapon (your handgun). Just because it doesn't cover all weapons doesn't change the fact that it does allow you to carry a concealed weapon.

Hell, even in states where they're officially called Concealed Weapon Permits, it doesn't allow the permittee to carry any damn weapon they so choose. It's no different here other than the specific type of weapon permitted.

Sure, it's worthwhile, in some contexts, to emphasize that the Virginia permit only covers handguns, but not every damn time someone mentions a permit. It's usually not pertinent to the topic at hand, and only gets in the way of the main discussion. And that's why I think the incessant drumbeat about "It's a CHP, not a CWP" is a mistake, because it illuminates nothing and hinders understanding.

So anyway, the TLDR version is: it's wrong to call a magazine a clip, because a magazine isn't a clip. It's not wrong to call something specific by its generic term because it's still a part of that generic class. A CHP is a type of CWP, and a gun is a type of weapon.

Just my opinion, of course. You're allowed to be wrong, Ed, as you've proved so many times. :p

~ Boyd

I kid, I kid!

TFred

imported post

This is waaaay down on the list of things that are important, but using correct terminology is never a bad thing. To not do so just shows that we are ignorant of our own subject matter.

As long as it's done in a spirit of education and not malice or ridicule, I don't have a problem with it at all, even if it happens every day. I would like to think that we have new readers every day, and if one or two people learn something new each time a reminder like this is posted, then it's well worth the time and effort to do so.

And that's just MHO! :)

TFred

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding this topic but here and on other gun websites. Some of my pet peeves are also magazines vs clips, pistols vs revolvers, and the big one; semi-automatic rifles vs assault rifles. If we use the correct acronym for our Virginia concealed carry permits, it would have to be PCCH (Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun) since that follows the accepted acronym translation of the permit's title. But that makes little sense to most, so it has been shortened and turned around to be CHP. I certainly have no problem with that one.

Now as for weapon, if we accept current definitions of the term then a handgun is indeed a weapon. However in the more classic sense, a weapon was deemed to be an offensive arm if I'm not mistaken, and handguns were classed as defensive arms. So what is it really? I tend to use "weapon" a lot of times when referring to my sidearm, but I imagine that is not entirely correct.

Comments and corrections are most appreciated with this.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
This is waaaay down on the list of things that are important, but using correct terminology is never a bad thing. To not do so just shows that we are ignorant of our own subject matter.

As long as it's done in a spirit of education and not malice or ridicule, I don't have a problem with it at all, even if it happens every day. I would like to think that we have new readers every day, and if one or two people learn something new each time a reminder like this is posted, then it's well worth the time and effort to do so.

And that's just MHO! :)

TFred
That's true Fred and I agree it's low on the "worr about list"...but it seems to concern Boyd. I assume it was triggered by Ed's earlier post. In that light, I also agree with Boyd, that CHP/CWP/CCW is a little nitpicky too.

Even the clip/magazine issue gets old after a while.
So what if the terminology isn't spot on the mark. Usually, it's used in a question about something else and we can spend so much time correcting the syntax, the mqin question doesn't get answered....or the answer gets lost in the firestorm.

FWIW, my first permit didn't state what I could carry and the code said "Weapons". When I renewed it, the judge said "Pistol". The next renewal again said nothing about the type of weapon....It was "Handgun after that".

nova

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding this topic but here and on other gun websites. Some of my pet peeves are also magazines vs clips, pistols vs revolvers, and the big one; semi-automatic rifles vs assault rifles. If we use the correct acronym for our Virginia concealed carry permits, it would have to be PCCH (Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun) since that follows the accepted acronym translation of the permit's title. But that makes little sense to most, so it has been shortened and turned around to be CHP. I certainly have no problem with that one.

Now as for weapon, if we accept current definitions of the term then a handgun is indeed a weapon. However in the more classic sense, a weapon was deemed to be an offensive arm if I'm not mistaken, and handguns were classed as defensive arms. So what is it really? I tend to use "weapon" a lot of times when referring to my sidearm, but I imagine that is not entirely correct.

In VA legis code it is called both a "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun" as well as "Concealed Handgun Permit".

TexasNative

imported post

TFred wrote:
...using correct terminology is never a bad thing. To not do so just shows that we are ignorant of our own subject matter.
But that's my point, Fred. It is a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It's just that the weapon must only be a handgun. The term isn't incorrect, it's just more generic.

~ Boyd

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TFred wrote:
using correct terminology is never a bad thing. To not do so just shows that we are ignorant of our own subject matter.

Yeah, I agree - the reason to use the more precise terminology as best you can, and especially drive out of our lexicon the very vague and frankly unhelpful terms like "CCW" (alternative meaning the permit, the weapon, orthe action of concealing, etc.) is so that we can more effectively communicate with the general population and th press - if we communicate like monks or military planners in a language of funny latin words or acronyms known only to us, its no wonder the average person and member of the press, and yes even the police, do not understand the scope of gun rights in our country.

Practice usingclear and direct unemtional and non-confrontational communication. Try to use the correct term for each state's license, but never non-sensical terms like "CCW."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
TFred wrote: if we communicate like monks or military planners in a language of funny latin words or acronyms known only to us, its no wonder the average person and member of the press, and yes even the police, do not understand the scope of gun rights in our country.

Practice usingclear and direct unemtional and non-confrontational communication. Try to use the correct term for each state's license, but never non-sensical terms like "CCW."
Lord save us....Did a future lawyer just say that?????????????:lol:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I think that its important to use the correct term CHP as there are items enumerated under 308 that are illegal concealed weapons. Too many people dont study the law and they may believe that the permit entitles hem to carry Chinese throwing stars and switchblades.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Mike wrote:
TFred wrote: if we communicate like monks or military planners in a language of funny latin words or acronyms known only to us, its no wonder the average person and member of the press, and yes even the police, do not understand the scope of gun rights in our country.

Lord save us....Did a future lawyer just say that?????????????:lol:
Thought he was graduated. :lol:

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

nova wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

In VA legis code it is called both a "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun" as well as "Concealed Handgun Permit".
I was reading the text right off of my permit. Most of the time, I use the term CCW in casual conversation because most (interested) people seem to know that that means. When writing on this or other sites, I most always refer to the Virginia permit as a CHP.

nova

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
nova wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I was reading the text right off of my permit. Most of the time, I use the term CCW in casual conversation because most (interested) people seem to know that that means. When writing on this or other sites, I most always refer to the Virginia permit as a CHP.
I gotcha I was just saying even VA code calls it more than just one name though they refer obviously to the same thing. I make sure to use the "proper" terms whenever possible.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I know, I'm guilty of being anally retentive about the clip/magazine thing along with the semi-auto rifle/assault weapon thing.

It really does drive me up the wall, but after years of therapy (retirement), I'm really getting better about it than I used to be... :lol:

bblackmoor

imported post

When I see "CHP", I think California Highway Patrol (with Eric Estrada!).

When I see "CCP", I think someone left off a "C" and are referring to some cold-war-era thing or other.

When I see "CCW", I think they are referring to professional wrestling.

I refer to my concealed handgun permit as a "concealed handgun permit", or a "concealed weapon permit". If the police and the courts are comfortable referring to it as such (there is a sorting box in the Henrico Clerk Of Court office with the sign, "Concealed Weapon Permits"), that seems adequate to me.

Not everything needs to be made into an incomprehensible acronym.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bblackmoor wrote:
When I see "CHP", I think California Highway Patrol (with Eric Estrada!).

When I see "CCP", I think someone left off a "C" and are referring to some cold-war-era thing or other.

When I see "CCW", I think they are referring to professional wrestling.

I refer to my concealed handgun permit as a "concealed handgun permit", or a "concealed weapon permit". If the police and the courts are comfortable referring to it as such (there is a sorting box in the Henrico Clerk Of Court office with the sign, "Concealed Weapon Permits"), that seems adequate to me.

Not everything needs to be made into an incomprehensible acronym.
IMHO YMBR, CWP = CHP, IANA but OCDO mods and PVC/VCDL agree whether you OC or CC its RKBA & 2A that's +, YMMV. :lol:

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bblackmoor wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
IMHO YMBR, CWP = CHP, IANA but OCDO mods and PVC/VCDL agree whether you OC or CC its RKBA & 2A that's +, YMMV. :lol:
I got about half of that. :)
In my humble opinion you might be right, concealed weapons permit = concealed handgun permit, I am not an attorney but opencarry.org moderators and Philip Van Cleave/Virginia Citizens Defense League agree whether you open carry or concealed carry its your Right to Keep and Bear Arms and the Second Amendment that is a plus, your mileage may vary (individual results may be different).

Acronyms save time and space + they constitute our super secret code. :cool:

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
nachronymsbblackmoor wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
I got about half of that. :)
In my humble opinion you might be right, concealed weapons permit = concealed handgun permit, I am not an attorney but opencarry.org moderators and Philip Van Cleave/Virginia Citizens Defense League agree whether you open carry or concealed carry its your Right to Keep and Bear Arms and the Second Amendment that is a plus, your mileage may vary (individual results may be different).

Acronyms save time and space + they constitute our super secret code. :cool:

Yata hey
Now THAT was funnychit. Thanks for the daily laugh out loud!

msc