• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DNR laws

Hillmann

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:
There are State Statutes and there is State Administrative Code which apply to hunting.

Statutes are section 29: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0029.pdf

Code is NR 10.... http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/nr/nr010.pdf
Do you know of anything simular to the second one NR 10 but for fishing. I have looked at section 29 in the past and it seems to be missing sevral things.
Table of contents for the first 100 NRs

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/nr/nr1.html

Hillmann

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
There are State Statutes and there is State Administrative Code which apply to hunting.

Statutes are section 29: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0029.pdf

Code is NR 10.... http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/nr/nr010.pdf
Do you know of anything simular to the second one NR 10 but for fishing. I have looked at section 29 in the past and it seems to be missing sevral things.
Table of contents for the first 100 NRs

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/nr/nr1.html
I think that may be what I am looking for, thank you.

Hillmann

imported post

Doug do you know of any other DNR regulations simular to what you linked to . It seems that eather there should be more or Wisconsin's hunting and fishing laws were not thought out very well.

Hillmann

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Here is the Table of Contents to the entire Administrative Code. That URL was to the first hundred NRs. They go up to NR Chapter EIGHT HUNDRED!

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/codtoc.html

There is no shortage of Wisconsin laws and especially from the Department of Never-ending Regulations.
After looking through that I can see why a game warden is never able to answer my questions evan after looking it up in the law books. I also noticed several differances between what the code says and what the pamphlets that the dnr hands out when you get your lisence. And those differences could lead to large fines or loss of privlages.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
After looking through that I can see why a game warden is never able to answer my questions evan after looking it up in the law books. I also noticed several differances between what the code says and what the pamphlets that the dnr hands out when you get your lisence. And those differences could lead to large fines or loss of privlages.

The little paper "rule" books do an adequate job of keeping most people out of trouble. Do you have some examples of that differences you are referring to?

I am on the opposite end in that many things stated as generally not allowed are actually legal when the law is followed. For an example, you may hunt with a rifle in the "shotgun only" deer hunting areas so long as it is not during deer season. You may use a short barrel rifle to hunt in WI so long as you have the $200 tax stamp for it. You may lean an unloaded firearm against a motor vehicle.

Hillmann

imported post

Hillmann wrote:

The little paper "rule" books do an adequate job of keeping most people out of trouble. Do you have some examples of that differences you are referring to?

I am on the opposite end in that many things stated as generally not allowed are actually legal when the law is followed. For an example, you may hunt with a rifle in the "shotgun only" deer hunting areas so long as it is not during deer season. You may use a short barrel rifle to hunt in WI so long as you have the $200 tax stamp for it. You may lean an unloaded firearm against a motor vehicle.
here is an exapmle

The last line on page seven of the spearing an netting regulations says

[align=left]Northern pike may be speared through[/align]
[align=left]the ice in Lake Superior.[/align]

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/regulations/2008/documents/0809spearnet_pages.pdf

Whare as in the codes which I spent sevral hours looking for something simular to that the clossest thing I can find is

NR 20.11(2)
(2) No person may cut, use or maintain a hole larger than 12 inches in diameter or square for the taking of fish in any manner through the ice except for spearing fish in Lake Superior, sturgeon spearing, taking fish with dip nets, taking minnows with minnow traps or skin or scuba diving.

The only other places whare I can find spearing info in the codes invlove panfish, rough fish or indians. I can find no whare in the code that says it is legla to spear northerns in lake superior through the ice.

Although you are right there are many that work the other way whare the pamphlets say something is illegal tha is not.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
here is an exapmle

[align=left]the ice in Lake Superior.
[/align]

That is an example which will stand on its own. So long as it is open season for Northern Pike, you may spear them through the ice on Lake Superior. The little paper "rule" book says so, and this will keep you out of trouble.

You may not be able to find it in the Code because it is not prohibited by the code. It is legal because it is not illegal. Perhaps they felt no need to add code which allowed it so they merely stated that it is not prohibited in the rule book.

Hillmann

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
here is an exapmle

[align=left]the ice in Lake Superior.
[/align]

That is an example which will stand on its own. So long as it is open season for Northern Pike, you may spear them through the ice on Lake Superior. The little paper "rule" book says so, and this will keep you out of trouble.

You may not be able to find it in the Code because it is not prohibited by the code. It is legal because it is not illegal. Perhaps they felt no need to add code which allowed it so they merely stated that it is not prohibited in the rule book.

Above this code it said

No person may

NR 20.09(3)

(3) Spear any game fish except that white bass, yellow bass, rock bass, panfish and bullheads may be speared while skin diving or scuba diving during the open season for rough fish spearing on waters specified in
$xhitlist_md=target-id=0-0-0-263441] s. NR 20.20, provided that the season for white bass, yellow bass, rock bass, panfish and bullheads is also open on the same water. Daily bag limits and size restrictions specified in $xhitlist_md=target-id=0-0-0-263441]s. NR 20.20 for white bass, yellow bass, rock bass, panfish and bullheads also apply.

Hillmann