• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay council to discuss city park gun ban

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

I certainly hope that the misquote by the Press Gazette was not deliberate. The quote should have read something to the effect that "hopes that it is not a disruptive protest"..Quoting a statement as coming froma CityPark (Fritsch wanted to make a statement), was a nice touch too..:?

Green Bay council to discuss city park gun ban
By Paul Srubas • psrubas@greenbaypressgazette • August 30, 2009

Ed Foral strongly opposes a plan to ban guns in Green Bay city parks, but he hopes hordes of like-minded gun enthusiasts do not turn out to protest when the City Council discusses the issue Tuesday.

"I'd rather that only a few speak," said Foral, 41, who was the lone member of the audience last week to speak to the Parks Committee against the proposed ban.

Foral worked hard earlier this month to orchestrate a quiet, peaceful, law-abiding event at Ted Fritsch Park, where gun enthusiasts gathered to "celebrate their right to carry." Fritsch wanted to make a statement that most gun owners respect the law, and the last thing he needed was to have, for example, one of his picnickers stray into the park shelter restroom, where the open carrying of guns is illegal.

The council on Tuesday is scheduled to discuss a proposed ordinance that would have made the Fritsch Park gathering illegal. The meeting is at 7 p.m. in the council chambers of City Hall, 100 N. Jefferson St.

The Parks Committee voted 3-1 last week in favor of a recommendation by the city law department to ban the open carrying of firearms in city parks.

Alderman Dan Piton, who cast the dissenting vote, said he didn't see why the lawful carrying of a firearm should be a "big deal" in city parks. But the other members of the committee, Jerry Wiezbiskie, Amy Kocha and Celestine Jeffreys, thought otherwise.

"While I respect the right to bear arms, it has to affect people's right to enjoy the parks," Kocha said.

The sight of firearms promotes a natural fear in many people, and allowing firearms in parks could unfairly infringe on people's right to enjoy those parks, she said.

People may well fear what they aren't used to, but because the issue in question is legal, people should learn to get used to it, Piton suggested.

Bronson Smith, a Green Bay gun enthusiast, said people aren't as fearful of guns in public places as some of the committee members seemed to think.

"I've carried in Fleet Farm and places like that, where I've spent a little money with a gun on my hip," he said. "They (store employees) just don't care."

The proposed ordinance would need at least two public readings and two majority votes by the council before being enacted.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

And if none of the open carry enthusiasts show up in rally of support, and the ordinance passes. What then?

Being the lone ranger isn't necessarily the answer. Strength in numbers never fails.
It is just as important for any citizen who supports the right to carry to be heard as it is for those who are not in support.

The first time you limit the amount of people who will speak in favor, that council room will be filled with people who oppose and your argument will be moot!

In case you haven't noticed, since being so passive in your endevour there have been new signatures added to the petition on line....I.E...PeeWee Herman, Mickey Mouse and Johnny Bravo.

Perhaps when we take a situation such as this so lightly the general public is showing how lightly they take our organization.

I sincerely hope you have a better strategy then this.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
And if none of the open carry enthusiasts show up in rally of support, and the ordinance passes. What then?

Being the lone ranger isn't necessarily the answer. Strength in numbers never fails.
It is just as important for any citizen who supports the right to carry to be heard as it is for those who are not in support.

The first time you limit the amount of people who will speak in favor, that council room will be filled with people who oppose and your argument will be moot!

I sincerely hope you have a better strategy then this.
What part of misquote do you not understand? Everyone is encouraged to show up. Everyone who wishes to speak is free to speak. Everyone is encouraged to be orderly or no one will be allowed to speak.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

You should have highlighted the misquote

"I'd rather that only a few speak," said Foral, 41, who was the lone member of the audience last week to speak to the Parks Committee against the proposed ban.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
You should have highlighted the misquote

How's this.....

he hopes hordes of like-minded gun enthusiasts do not turn out to protest when the City Council discusses the issue Tuesday.

"I'd rather that only a few speak," said Foral, 41,

I E-mailed in protest, but am not sure what good that will do. The damage has already been done...