• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Learned something about longgun carry laws... confirm?

ooghost1oo

imported post

Just took my Hunter-Safety class (that is a CHEAP way to satisfy certification requirements for a CCW, btw), and learned that in the state of Colorado it's illegal to carry longarms (rifles, shotguns) with a round in the chamber. This was the big game hunting regulations book for the year.

I already knew that we can carry handguns with a round chambered, and I thought it was the same with long guns. The teacher was 'more of a hunter than a shooter', and couldn't give me a straight answer on if this applies ONLY to being out hunting, or if it's just a general law of Colorado.

Does anyone know?

zach

imported post

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe it is at anytime. If this law is the same as in other states, then it would be at anytime.

From my understanding you can have rounds in the clip, just not one chambered.

Also, I believe it applies setting the rifle on the tailgate, leaning the rifle against the truck, etc...

It does seem a little hypocritical to allow pistols to be loaded but not long guns. Perhaps it has something to do with range of the weapon?

aadvark

imported post

In Colorado, one may openly carry any Long gun, provided, they are Legally eligible to have that Long gun.

However, there are restrictions on having a Long gun in a Motor Vehicle, if there is a round chambered into the barrel, per Colorado's Hunting Laws.

This Law is confirmed under Colorado Code 33-6-125 which states: It isunlawful to have any Firearm, other that a Pistol or Revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such Firearm is unloaded.

In Colorado, one may openly carry a Firearm, any Firearm, in amotor vehicle so as long as the Local Government does not restrict open carry.

Open Carry and Loaded Carry are generaly Legal throughoutColorado, so yes..., but no..., because that yes is not a simple yes. In addition to 33-6-125 there existsColoradCode 29-11.7-104 that allows Local Regulation of open carrying in Colorado. Currently one such Locality that forbids open carry is Denver, but there are others such as: Castle Rock and Pueblo. These open carry regulations must be posted and though still to conceal, provided you have a permit... this invites trespass charges in the thrid degree per Colorado Code 18-4-504.

Per Colorado Code 18-9-106(1)(f)... if anyone, not a Peace Officer of Colorado, displays a Weapon[Firearm]... in a manner... calculated to alarm... is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. Also, if the charge does not warrant Conduct, then, it probaly warrants Menacing per Colorado Code 18-3-206(1)(a) or 18-3-206(1)(b).

Do not carry your Firearm, loaded or not, openly or not, to the State Capital, or on or atany Racetrack, Public Transportation Terminal/Bus/Train, or on any Snowmobile, or School grounds unless you have a Permit. However, while in your Car, you are exempt, so as long as it is not loaded, assuming we are talking about a Long gun, but not at Schools though, period... unless, of course, you have a Permit.

Open Carry of a Loaded Gun everywhere else is Legal throughout Colorado though.

mahkagari

imported post

I believe, and this is pure conjecture, the law against having a chambered long gun is to discourage hunting from vehicles, roads, etc. I.e. the excitable guy who hasn't filled his tag and seesa buck while driving out and frantically grabs his rifle, gets his finger inside the trigger guard while trying to yank it over the seat and blows his, his passengers', or another motorist's brains all to hell.

Having "the right" to have a long gun is one thing. I just don't see how it is practical for self-defense from inside a vehicle. Unless it's for imminent self-defense or hunting, I question the need for having it chambered.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mahkagari wrote:
I believe, and this is pure conjecture, the law against having a chambered long gun is to discourage hunting from vehicles, roads, etc. I.e. the excitable guy who hasn't filled his tag and seesa buck while driving out and frantically grabs his rifle, gets his finger inside the trigger guard while trying to yank it over the seat and blows his, his passengers', or another motorist's brains all to hell.
Yes, all Title 33 statues are Parks & Wildlife related, but are enforceable by ANY CO peace officer, not just DOW officers.

CJ30-06

imported post

Only when in your car, transporting the weapon. As far as I know, Open Carry as in over your shoulder, (as unaccepted as it is) you could have the rifle/shotgun loaded. BTW Colorado law states the ANY gun is only "loaded" when there is a round in the chamber, we merely have different restrictions between handguns and longguns. Handguns can be loaded no matter what, whereas longguns must be unloaded, (ok if magazine is loaded and inserted) while transporting, but not at other times as far as I know.

Brass

imported post

Not having a car, I have to take public transportation quite a bit. I believe the law about public transportation and bus terminals actually states that you can not have a loaded weapon open carried unless you have a permit. My question, according toCJ30-06, the weapon is unloaded if there is not a round chambered, can I carry on the bus if I have a full mag but no round in the chamber?

CJ30-06

imported post

Brass wrote:
Not having a car, I have to take public transportation quite a bit. I believe the law about public transportation and bus terminals actually states that you can not have a loaded weapon open carried unless you have a permit. My question, according toCJ30-06, the weapon is unloaded if there is not a round chambered, can I carry on the bus if I have a full mag but no round in the chamber?
That one's definitely going to be different as public transportation law iseven more strict.As far as I've heard, you can't even have a handgun with a full magazine in, let alone chambered round! Do some research on this one. There is a thread on here which goes into great detail under the Colorado section.

manveru

imported post

OT

does hunter safety satisfy ccw certification requirements? i've never heard that it did, but i haven't read the requirements that much.

mahkagari

imported post

I doubt it. It doesn't have any curriculum on legality of defensive shooting.

zach

imported post

manveru wrote:
OT

does hunter safety satisfy ccw certification requirements? i've never heard that it did, but i haven't read the requirements that much.
I think it depends on the county. I believe El Paso county accepts HS as meeting the requirements. I think its within a timeframe of completion of HS.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

There isn't anything in the Colo Revised Statutes about hunter safety cards being acceptable for a CHP....military service, LEO's and handgun training classes are about all that's acceptable.

It's all covered under CRS 18-12-203

http://www.michie.com/colorado

EDIT: Zach is correct, El Paso County does accept hunter safety cards within a 10 year time frame.....that's on the CHP FAQ of the Sheriff's website.

http://shr.elpasoco.com/

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

manveru wrote:
OT

Weld County also accepts Hunters' Safety cards (says so in their documentation). I believe Boulder County does not.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
NOW you tell me! But my HS was about 17 years ago.
I found out about it after the fact, too, but I would still have taken the course I took. Maybe if I have to get "recertified" I'll take the HS course.