• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fewer Negative Encounters

sevenplusone

imported post

I've only been following this website since this past winter, however, it seems we are having fewer and fewer negative encounters in and around Michigan lately. That's not to say they have ended, or they don't happen...just fewer encounters seem to be going anywhere. I have to say thanks to the members of this site and gunowners throughout Michigan for getting the word out that we will defend our rights.

It puts it in perspective when you spend some time on one of the forums for a more restricted state that is in the front line of the battle (i.e. Wisconsin). It's a completely different perspective and outlook. Like what OC was here a couple years ago.

Progress people, progress. Let's keep it up!

T Vance

imported post

I said the same thing today to somebody about less negative experiences. I has to do with more people OCing more often, and all the info that has been sent to all the different police departments.

Thanks for everyone that has contributed to this movement!

cabman1

imported post

got pulled over tonight while talking to a friend on the side of the road.I stated to the officer that i had a loaded hand gun and gave him my cpl.He noticed that my gun was in a holster on my hip.He then proceed to ask me if that was how I always carry my gun.

I didnt say anything.So he asked again >I asked Him if that was the reason he stoped me and if so am i free to go.He said he pulled me over for being illegally parked.I told him that I was not parked becuase the keys were in the ignition and it was still in drive. so i was standing.He got into a spew about it making more work for him and it scared woman and children and then he asked again why I open carried again.I told hem it was my 2nd amendment right and if he wasnt going to arrest me or write me ticket I was leaving.

and nothing more was said and we both went our seperate ways!!!

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cabman1 wrote:
got pulled over tonight while talking to a friend on the side of the road.I stated to the officer that i had a loaded hand gun and gave him my cpl.He noticed that my gun was in a holster on my hip.He then proceed to ask me if that was how I always carry my gun.

I didnt say anything.So he asked again >I asked Him if that was the reason he stoped me and if so am i free to go.He said he pulled me over for being illegally parked.I told him that I was not parked becuase the keys were in the ignition and it was still in drive. so i was standing.He got into a spew about it making more work for him and it scared woman and children and then he asked again why I open carried again.I told hem it was my 2nd amendment right and if he wasnt going to arrest me or write me ticket I was leaving.

Nice. Cop must have been bored?

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
cabman1 wrote:

Nice. Cop must have been bored?

I would think he was probably just curious about what was going on so he made a dumb excuse to investigate. Great job in showing him where the bear $&!+$ and getting back to your life.

You know, I don't blame them for finding a reason to "talk" if something looks interesting, but when they see there is nothing andcontinue looking for a way to justify their time it is crap.

Michigander

imported post

Remember, not all of the bad things that happen are necessarily reported to everyone here. We're not nearly "out of the woods" yet. :uhoh:

But we're definitely way better off than we were a year ago.:monkey

B

Bikenut

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Remember, not all of the bad things that happen are necessarily reported to everyone here. We're not nearly "out of the woods" yet. :uhoh:

But we're definitely way better off than we were a year ago.:monkey
Although I understand that we are actually talking about a subjective perspective on what can be considered "negative encounters" simply because there isn't a study or data base of facts to back it up I have to agree with Michigander's observation that we are better off than we were a year ago with the general public's, and LE's, acceptance of open carry.

And if more people open carry more often in more places it is legal to do so while behaving in a polite manner the general public, and LE, will become even more accepting.

Yeah, I know I'm preaching to the choir yet I am encouraged by the progress that has been made so far. Especially when the small number of folks actually open carrying are compared to the huge number of citizens in Michigan.

So let us not stop now but instead increase our efforts to educate and desensitize the public by OC'ing... and encouraging others to do the same.

Although I (and I'm sure others) were OC'ing before opencarry.org started opencarry.org has done much to increase the number of folks open carrying.... and deserves credit for that.

My thanks to the folks behind opencarry.org for the priceless information regarding actual law contained herein.

dukenukum

imported post

I agree my public encounters have been fewer and fewer, but the chairborne commandos on line are still having a field day with the same tired old arguments about stealth and mall ninja quick draw from concealed carry. Am I the only one who gets tired of that?

T Vance

imported post

Yeah, I do recall hearing about a few negative encounters (one in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area) but their were no details to these stories. So not all are reported.

On that same note though, not all good OC experiences are posted either. There are alot of people that don't seem to post about their OCing experiences as much as some others do. Nothing wrong with that, that is their decision, just pointing it out.