• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing while helping out someone in Distress

RenegadePhoenix

imported post

well, had a very good OC experiance yesterday with the Murrysville police.

it started out with a 17 year old girl wrecking her van right infront of me on a single lane bridge then carreening off the road into some heavy construction equipment. since she was coming across the bridge toward me i saw the whole thing happen.

i pulled over, quickly got over to her, made sure she was OK and then called for police and EMTs. i tried to keep her calm and kept her sitting down until EMTs arrived. we managed to get the van inpark and shut off. EMTs arrived in less than 5 minutes. police right behind them. she was fine, hit her head off the stearing wheel, but other than that she was up talking and wallking after being seen by EMT.

the whole time i was OCing and only one other person stopped to help breifly.

after the police talked to her, they come over and talked to me. Sgt. Jones smiled and asked if i have ever gotten hassled for OC. i said no and i thanked him for not harrassing me over it. he replyed that they have been called a few times in the past year and know who i am and that they know the law and will not harrass anyone OCing. he thanked me for OCing and wished more people would carry. at this point i remeber my digital recorder is on my dash. he also said their dispatchers are told to ask the question "Is the firearm holstered or is the person holding it in their hand?" whenever a Man with a gun call comes in for OCers.

Sgt. Jones thanked me again and said have a great day OCing.

the girls mother and brother arrived and thanked me for helping her. and then i got a phone call from her father a short time later thanking me.

great day to OC and help someone in need.

i do have photos of the wrecked van and the huge crane mounted Jackhammer she ran into. PICS ADDED: the large jackhammer was moved about 15 feet. both airbag sensors were hit, but the air bags did not deploy.

0829091533.jpg

0829091534.jpg

Swampbeast

imported post

Good job man, and I'm glad to hear the police in Murrysville are friendly to oc. I've oced over in Plum some without incident so far I got some family out there, have you heard of anyone there getting hastled there by the police? I feel like I haven't done it often enough there to know but so far so good none of the people there minded.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Shouldn't be a cause for surprise when someone does something nice for people in need but nowadays it's the exception rather than the rule and the world is worse off because of it. That being said, I'm glad it was one of us, and likewise I hope if I'm ever in need of a good samaritan or my family is that someone such as yourself is the first on the scene.

Thanks!

RenegadePhoenix

imported post

Swampbeast wrote:
Good job man, and I'm glad to hear the police in Murrysville are friendly to oc. I've oced over in Plum some without incident so far I got some family out there, have you heard of anyone there getting hastled there by the police? I feel like I haven't done it often enough there to know but so far so good none of the people there minded.
i've OCed all over Plum, Monroeville, Murrysville, Squerril hill, Homestead, Penn Ave. in downtown pittsburgh. no problems what so ever.

Mtn Jack

imported post

I know this Renegade fellow, and a good sam guy is a big understatement, he single handed has done more in Pa for fellow gun owners than you could imagine. I would jump in his fox hole any day, as he has done for me. Thank God for people like him. God bless you Chris you have all my respect. See you soon. Mtn Jack