Thread: How can you tell where you can shoot or not outside of city limits?

Post imported post

In Colorado Springs.

Rampart Range is closed, at least for now, and will likely remain closed permanently.

I've been thinking of finding some place 'in the wild' to go shooting off of 115 south of town. Anyone know of such a place?

I remember, when trying to save Rampart Range, reading that the loss of the range would be difficult for Springs dwellers who don't want to pay to shoot, because the forest service makes it difficult to shoot in most places outside the city.

Post imported post

Most NF websites have veribiage advising what to look for in terms of a safe place to shoot. I.e. away from people, earthbackstop, no trails cutting across the line of fire, etc. Basically, you "legally" can shoot anywhere you can determine it is safe.

It may not be a developed range that someone is providing to you for free, you might need to hoof it to find a safe place to shoot, a forest ranger may disagree that it is safe because they know of cabins, trails, backcountry campsites in your line of fire, but you "can" shoot in NFs.

Post imported post

I went looking in state law, and found this:

CRS 33-6-126
    It is unlawful for any person, except a duly authorized peace officer acting in the line of duty, to discharge any firearm or release an arrow from, upon, or across any public road. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars and an assessment of five license suspension points.

Also, at some point fairly recently, I found a map of Pike Nat. Forest showing where target shooting is allowed. I don't see it now, but look at question 40 on their FAQ page.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/faq/index.shtml#Q40

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Call BLM, they have areas on public land that you can shoot, also if you just go visit BLM land they have signs that mark different areas for hiking, biking, ATV, and shooting. they will post weather an area is shooting or designated non-shooting.