• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Wildlife Management Areas

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Even though DGIF's rules say no firearms off season, I have yet to find an applicable statute. (Except the CHP exemption:X)
What can they charge you with?

Virginiaplanter

imported post

I am going to guess that the presence of a firearm would allow them to charge you with hunting without a license or hunting out of season, and spotlightng etc.

§ 29.1-351.1. Penalty for violations.
Unless otherwise specified, any person who violates any of the provisions of this article shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

------

The presumption that you are hunting is also referenced in 18.2-308 A (6)

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;
------

Of course, game laws have always been used to disarm the people.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
I am going to guess that the presence of a firearm would allow them to charge you with hunting without a license or hunting out of season, and spotlightng etc.

§ 29.1-351.1. Penalty for violations.
Unless otherwise specified, any person who violates any of the provisions of this article shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

------

The presumption that you are hunting is also referenced in 18.2-308 A (6)

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;
------

Of course, game laws have always been used to disarm the people.
I don't think that will fly.
I'll have to look up the cite but the no hunting on Sunday was heard in the Supreme court by someone just walking around with a shotgun.
The court ruled there had to be proof over and above the possession of the gun to prove hunting. The code section reflects it

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Found it...

§ 29.1-521

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+29.1-521

1. To hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including any nuisance species, with a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday, which is hereby declared a rest day for all species of wild bird and wild animal life, except raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. However, a person lawfully carrying a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday in an area that could be used for hunting shall not be presumed to be hunting on Sunday, absent evidence to the contrary.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

I looked at the changes to that law from your post as I now recall that being done and it appears it was changed to reflect the current wording in 2005, although the link doesn't show the change made in 2005. It may have been changed as part of an omnibus bill because it just magically appears in 2006. Strange. Maybe they missed a Chapter link.