• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive experience with FCPD

nova

imported post

Three officers rolled up to the McDonnell event today. I was hanging around near the parking lot waiting for any more OCDO members to show up (Nice to finally meet you richarcm).

Anyhow after about 5 minutes and after they met our next Gov., I notice them coming up behind me and overhear "Which one is he?" "The big guy in front of you".

I'm thinking "here we go" as I turn around to face them. The one introduces himself and asks if I'm from opencarry.org. I confirm. He then says he was one of the officers who responded to the Helicopter and Riot Shield Party (not his words :p) during our OCDO picnic two years ago. He said he met BobCav and after some chit chat he asks me if I've ever had any problems from FCPD. I state I've been OCing for about a year and a half and have never had any negative OC experiences with FCPD. He says "Great...that's how it should be". They both had to bail but we shook hands and they departed.

This was my first ACTUAL interaction with any police while OCing (not just walking past and adknowledging each other) and I hope if I have any future interactions they'll be as great as this one.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Awesome! :D

I've never had any interaction with FCPD since I started OC'ing nine months ago.
None for me so far except for the one at Silver Diner where the officers knew I was OCing and called in/pointed at me simultaneously. They just ate their dinner and left:)

aadvark

imported post

Virginia gets it right, good work Open Carry Organization!

Also, good work Virginia Citizens Defense League!

nova

imported post

ETA: sounds like someone MAY have called in a MWAG...officer said "someone said there was a guy OCing and I thought it might be BobCav" or maybe someone else there told them in person (a few people had talked with them when they first arrived and walked over).

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I too have never had anyproblems with Fairfax County Police Department unless you count (and i do not) (1) a small eye roll by an officer in the Kingstowne WalMart one time or (2) when an officer guarding the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors asked a couple of us standing around after the meeting if we were carrying conceaeled - I said"I am"- he asked if I had a permit, I said "yes do you want to see it," he said: "No, no,I was just checking, thanks."

And this was probably a good thing cause for some reason by CHP was never entered in the state VCIN at that time and could not be electronically verified.:cool:

Even the dinner made world famous by the Washington Post in 2004 at Champps was not really a hostile interaction - though it was a little weird, in sum, they came, they saw, they left. No weapon confiscations, no demands for ID, no commands to keep your hands on the table, nothin' - we just kept eating.

This was early of course in the open carry movement in Virginia - what we believe happenned is that a wise officer in charge that night, having gotten one magistrate's opinion that all gun carry was illegal in alcohol serving restaurants, decided to get a 2d opinion from another magistrate, who actually proably read 18.2-308(J3) before giving his advice.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The only time I can recall talking to a Fairfax County officer was maybe a year and a half ago at Micro Center in Fairfax. I was looking for a certain advertised flash drive and I caught someone move up close to my strong side as I was checking out a display. I turned my head a little to the right as saw a shoulder patch. A little more of a turn proved the patch to be Fairfax County Police. He was standing perhaps two feet from me and I was OC'ing a Glock 27.

We continued to look for another 3-5 minutes, him for a camera (he said) and me for a flash drive. We exchanged a few words of small talk. Then a manager approached me and asked if she could help. I told her what I was looking for and she said they were up at the front of the store and she would get me one. As I was paying for it, the officer came up next to me in line and asked if I found what I was looking for to which I replied in the affirmative.

So I have also never had a bad encounter with a Fairfax police officer while carrying open or concealed.

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I have yet to have any interaction with officers while OCing. I did walk pass some officers while carrying but it was winter so I had a coat on.

Mayday

imported post

Fairfax County PD are world class professionals; I have never seen a more professional outfit at a county level. In many cases, they equal and surpass numerous Federal agencies in professionalism.

VApatriot

imported post

nova wrote:
"Which one is he?" "The big guy in front of you".

That's about the only description someone would need to find you in a crowd.:lol:

The only bad thing I really have to say about FCPD is regardingthe number of speed traps they put up. I have never had a single encounter with them about OC.

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
nova wrote:
"Which one is he?" "The big guy in front of you".

That's about the only description someone would need to find you in a crowd.:lol:

The only bad thing I really have to say about FCPD is regardingthe number of speed traps they put up. I have never had a single encounter with them about OC.
yeah the speed traps get old real fast but it seems like they have a few spots they always go to around the area. I rarely do more than 5 over, even then I've been using cruise a lot more over the past year, I've never gotten pulled over so I must be doing something right :D.

I just wish they'd lay off the unmarked cars some. If I need a cop, I want to be able to identify one a lot easier than squinting to see if they have LED lights in the windows.

I wish they'd instead use slicktop cars like state police do, that way they can do their sneaky sneak stuff to nab speeders on the road while still being easily identifyable as a cop car. :cool:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While we are all happy that FCPD generally leaves OCers alone, it is important to remember that a negative encounter is always possible.

Remember the OCer in Reston a year or two ago? Mildly badgered while walking to a shopping center or something.

And don't forget traffic stops. In the last two years we discovered one particular cop in Franconia district who is definitely opposed to citizens being armed. Hesaid that or words to that effect to the OCers he had traffic-stopped. He also seized their firearms unnecessarily, just to check serial numbers if I recall. Same cop. Two different traffic stops, two different OCers.

Also, we have the North Carolinian falsely arrested last year for carrying (gasp) hollow-points. That was an experienced cop who joined FCPD from out of state.

Just because a lot of officers have been trained, doesn't mean they all agreed with it or accepted it and wouldn't pass up a chance to push things a bit if they had a hint of something that could be plausibly stretched into RAS for detention.

So, don't let down your alertness with FCPD.

nova

imported post

Citizen wrote:
While we are all happy that FCPD generally leaves OCers alone, it is important to remember that a negative encounter is always possible.

Remember the OCer in Reston a year or two ago? Mildly badgered while walking to a shopping center or something.

And don't forget traffic stops. In the last two years we discovered one particular cop in Franconia district who is definitely opposed to citizens being armed. Hesaid that or words to that effect to the OCers he had traffic-stopped. He also seized their firearms unnecessarily, just to check serial numbers if I recall. Same cop. Two different traffic stops, two different OCers.

Also, we have the North Carolinian falsely arrested last year for carrying (gasp) hollow-points. That was an experienced cop who joined FCPD from out of state.

Just because a lot of officers have been trained, doesn't mean they all agreed with it or accepted it and wouldn't pass up a chance to push things a bit if they had a hint of something that could be plausibly stretched into RAS for detention.

So, don't let down your alertness with FCPD.
I'm alert always. And I have the number of a few attorneys ready in my wallet that I hope I'll never need.

richarcm

imported post

Nice to meet you too Nova (Dave?). I too thought the entire event was nice and the officers were very professional. I did not interact with them but I was right up in the paparazzi mix when Bob walked in from the parking lot. I was right in front of the officers taking pictures and they never said a thing. The only mixed interactions were with people there. I got a couple of deer in headlights stares, one guy asked if it was legal and if I was old enough to have a gun and one guy I met, one man (who I forget his name) said he was hoping to replace Ken Cuccinelli who seemed pretty pro gun and I THOUGHT I heard some ladies say when I walked in "well there goes Bob's chances for office"...or something to that effect. :)

I too have been carrying for 1.5 years and have yet to have a real negative experience with an officer. The worst was carrying at a Best Buy in Alexandria off RT1 and a cop saw me carrying, walked up to me and asked me if I was one of those open carriers and I said yes then he walked away but had his eyes on me the rest of the time I was in there.

After seeing that video at the Reston Town Hall Meeting with the guy being denied his 1st amendment rights because his poster had a PICTURE on it (that the officer didn't like) it is true that it all depends on which officer you interact with and what kind of day he/she has had.....

nova

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Nice to meet you too Nova (Dave?). I too thought the entire event was nice and the officers were very professional. I did not interact with them but I was right up in the paparazzi mix when Bob walked in from the parking lot. I was right in front of the officers taking pictures and they never said a thing. The only mixed interactions were with people there. I got a couple of deer in headlights stares, one guy asked if it was legal and if I was old enough to have a gun and one guy I met, one man (who I forget his name) said he was hoping to replace Ken Cuccinelli who seemed pretty pro gun and I THOUGHT I heard some ladies say when I walked in "well there goes Bob's chances for office"...or something to that effect. :)

I too have been carrying for 1.5 years and have yet to have a real negative experience with an officer. The worst was carrying at a Best Buy in Alexandria off RT1 and a cop saw me carrying, walked up to me and asked me if I was one of those open carriers and I said yes then he walked away but had his eyes on me the rest of the time I was in there.

After seeing that video at the Reston Town Hall Meeting with the guy being denied his 1st amendment rights because his poster had a PICTURE on it (that the officer didn't like) it is true that it all depends on which officer you interact with and what kind of day he/she has had.....
You got the name right :)

I got a few odd looks and a few "are you security" questions, one guy said immediately after "naw you're VCDL right?" with a smile. A few questions about what I was carrying, I met a fellow who said "I've got a Sig" (didn't say if he was CCing but it's possible).

When they were naming off a bunch of local politicians they mentioned Jeannemarie Devolites Davis (who ran those anti-gun ads way back when and lost) who I guess was also there.

If the Republicans truely want to be the "alternative to the Dems" then they better purge themselves of the Rinos. If a person doesn't understand the 2nd amendment and why it's there then I don't trust them to understand anything else in the constitution.

Oh and I must point out that the officer at the Moran rally wasn't FCPD but a FCPS school security officer charged with protecting school property after hours.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

nova wrote:
richarcm wrote:

You got the name right :)

I got a few odd looks and a few "are you security" questions, one guy said immediately after "naw you're VCDL right?" with a smile. A few questions about what I was carrying, I met a fellow who said "I've got a Sig" (didn't say if he was CCing but it's possible).

When they were naming off a bunch of local politicians they mentioned Jeannemarie Devolites Davis (who ran those anti-gun ads way back when and lost) who I guess was also there.

If the Republicans truely want to be the "alternative to the Dems" then they better purge themselves of the Rinos. If a person doesn't understand the 2nd amendment and why it's there then I don't trust them to understand anything else in the constitution.

Oh and I must point out that the officer at the Moran rally wasn't FCPD but a FCPS school security officer charged with protecting school property after hours.
He STILL had NO BUSINESS injecting his PERSONAL FEELINGS into his job. I sure hope someone is actively persuing this clown. He doesn't even deserve to be guarding the garbage dump!!!

nova

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
nova wrote:
richarcm wrote: FCPS school security officer charged with protecting school property after hours.
He STILL had NO BUSINESS injecting his PERSONAL FEELINGS into his job. I sure hope someone is actively persuing this clown. He doesn't even deserve to be guarding the garbage dump!!!
I absolutely agree with you.

bohdi

imported post

"Oh and I must point out that the officer at the Moran rally wasn't FCPD but a FCPS school security officer charged with protecting school property after hours."

I missed the personal feelings injection in this thread - where was that?

Eaasy gents. FCPD school security officers are LEO's just like the regular patrol folks, don't think for a second they aren't. Just because they got a sweet post doesn't mean they don't go through the same stuff all the other officers do. These are the same people that are out on "donation" for other public events, such as MMM meetings in public libraries, speaking in schools after hours, etc etc.

TFred

imported post

richarcm wrote:
The worst was carrying at a Best Buy in Alexandria off RT1 and a cop saw me carrying, walked up to me and asked me if I was one of those open carriers and I said yes then he walked away but had his eyes on me the rest of the time I was in there.
jon67ld.jpg

:D

nova

imported post

bohdi wrote:
"Oh and I must point out that the officer at the Moran rally wasn't FCPD but a FCPS school security officer charged with protecting school property after hours."

I missed the personal feelings injection in this thread - where was that?

Eaasy gents. FCPD school security officers are LEO's just like the regular patrol folks, don't think for a second they aren't. Just because they got a sweet post doesn't mean they don't go through the same stuff all the other officers do. These are the same people that are out on "donation" for other public events, such as MMM meetings in public libraries, speaking in schools after hours, etc etc.
BUZZZZZZZZZZ

The officer in question was not a FCPD School Resource Officer, he was FCPS School Security. Unarmed. Nothing more than a security guard employed by the county school system to protect school property. Not a LEO. ;)

He injected his personal opinion when he decided an anti-obama sign was "disruptive" while allowing every other pro- and anti-obama sign to stand.