• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive experience with FCPD

bohdi

imported post

nova wrote:
BUZZZZZZZZZZ

The officer in question was not a FCPD School Resource Officer, he was FCPS School Security. Unarmed. Nothing more than a security guard employed by the county school system to protect school property. Not a LEO. ;)

He injected his personal opinion when he decided an anti-obama sign was "disruptive" while allowing every other pro- and anti-obama sign to stand.

Alright either I'm blind or your report is lacking some details then. Not picking on you but clearly I am confused about a few things - which I haven't taken the time to research because I'm lazy. Reading this thread I thought:

This happened at Burke Lake Park, since there was no mention of where this happened, but there was a reference to Burke Lake Park, so I did the mental gymnastics and I made that ASSumption on my own

Was this event the one in Reston thatTomahawk posted the video of that you are referring to where the security guard says at the end "This ain't america anymore"? that took place recently? http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/30468-3.html- "Wesley Cheeks is a fascist"

nova

imported post

bohdi wrote:
nova wrote:
BUZZZZZZZZZZ

The officer in question was not a FCPD School Resource Officer, he was FCPS School Security. Unarmed. Nothing more than a security guard employed by the county school system to protect school property. Not a LEO. ;)

He injected his personal opinion when he decided an anti-obama sign was "disruptive" while allowing every other pro- and anti-obama sign to stand.

Alright either I'm blind or your report is lacking some details then. Not picking on you but clearly I am confused about a few things - which I haven't taken the time to research because I'm lazy. Reading this thread I thought:

This happened at Burke Lake Park, since there was no mention of where this happened, but there was a reference to Burke Lake Park, so I did the mental gymnastics and I made that ASSumption on my own

Was this event the one in Reston thatTomahawk posted the video of that you are referring to where the security guard says at the end "This ain't america anymore"? that took place recently? http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/30468-3.html- "Wesley Cheeks is a fascist"
Oops now I'm a bit confused myself.

richarcm commented about the incident at the Reston Town Hall Meeting where the "this ain't america" guy was an FCPS employee and not a sworn LEO from FCPD.

The two officers I encountered at Burke Lake were indeed FCPD...one of them a "well-experienced" judging by his rank ensignia.

bohdi

imported post

After seeing that video at the Reston Town Hall Meeting with the guy being denied his 1st amendment rights because his poster had a PICTURE on it (that the officer didn't like) it is true that it all depends on which officer you interact with and what kind of day he/she has had.....
The above was Richards post
Oh and I must point out that the officer at the Moran rally wasn't FCPD but a FCPS school security officer charged with protecting school property after hours.
Was Nova's reference

Hence my confusion. Think I am straight on it now. Thanks for the help Nova. I will have to go back and rewatch that video of Reston. It looked like the security guards badge was one like FCPD uses...Guess that's why I was confused. The thing about that video that bothers me though, is that when school isn't in session, and it is used for public purposes like the Moran meeting, is it a school? Does the security officer have the ability to tell someone to put down that sign? I'm thinking not.

Of course, some of my other friends say a rally isn't really a rally until you have a paper mache` effigy of the person you are protesting against. I might have to do that at the next protest I attend. Though I'm no good at arts and crafts :)

nova

imported post

bohdi wrote:
After seeing that video at the Reston Town Hall Meeting with the guy being denied his 1st amendment rights because his poster had a PICTURE on it (that the officer didn't like) it is true that it all depends on which officer you interact with and what kind of day he/she has had.....
The above was Richards post
Oh and I must point out that the officer at the Moran rally wasn't FCPD but a FCPS school security officer charged with protecting school property after hours.
Was Nova's reference

Hence my confusion. Think I am straight on it now. Thanks for the help Nova. I will have to go back and rewatch that video of Reston. It looked like the security guards badge was one like FCPD uses...Guess that's why I was confused. The thing about that video that bothers me though, is that when school isn't in session, and it is used for public purposes like the Moran meeting, is it a school? Does the security officer have the ability to tell someone to put down that sign? I'm thinking not.

Of course, some of my other friends say a rally isn't really a rally until you have a paper mache` effigy of the person you are protesting against. I might have to do that at the next protest I attend. Though I'm no good at arts and crafts :)
yeah that's where the argument sets in...does that guy have the authority to do what he did?

When you watch the video again look at his shoulder patch. That's what gave it away for me...definately not FCPD. :)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I really DOUBT that clown had the authority to VIOLATE someone's First Amendment rights. What REALLY set me off is when he had the gall to say "Not anymore it isn't" to the question "Is this Still America?"

THAT sent me into a low-earth orbit!!! What a silly communistic crock of chit to say to someone!!! What gives HIM the right to VIOLATE anyone's rights??? Its too bad someone wasn't there to ARREST him (or maybe tell him he's FOS) for his HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS...

<rant off, stepping off soapbox>

Sorry folks... just my $.02 worth...

msc

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bohdi wrote:
Snip.......... The thing about that video that bothers me though, is that when school isn't in session, and it is used for public purposes like the Moran meeting, is it a school? Does the security officer have the ability to tell someone to put down that sign? I'm thinking not.
It is a school whether it is in session or not - no distinction is made. § 18.2-308.1

Yata hey

bohdi

imported post

Thanks MSC and Grape. Then it becomes a question of equality. A sign is a sign, the guy shouldn't have put it down. I don't think I would have - it sent me orbital too MSC :)

VApatriot

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Snip:I met, one man (who I forget his name) said he was hoping to replace Ken Cuccinelli who seemed pretty pro gun. . .
Was his name Steve Hunt? Mr. Hunt was at the last VCDL meeting in Annandale, and he announced his plan to run for Ken's Seat ifand whenit is vacated. He previously served on the FxCo School Board, and he seems to be as pro-gun as Ken. He will have my vote when the time comes.

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Snip:I met, one man (who I forget his name) said he was hoping to replace Ken Cuccinelli who seemed pretty pro gun. . .
Was his name Steve Hunt? Mr. Hunt was at the last VCDL meeting in Annandale, and he announced his plan to run for Ken's Seat ifand whenit is vacated. He previously served on the FxCo School Board, and he seems to be as pro-gun as Ken. He will have my vote when the time comes.
http://stevehunt.org/Biography/

I've seen this guy at several VCDL meetings, as well as (IIRC) "gun rights week" two years ago at GMU when VCDL President spoke.

richarcm

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Yes, I thought he said his last name was Hunt but I couldn't turn anything up after searching online. He did mention going to the last meeting. He seemed very nice as did his wife.

richarcm

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Thanks MSC and Grape. Then it becomes a question of equality. A sign is a sign, the guy shouldn't have put it down. I don't think I would have - it sent me orbital too MSC :)
Officer or not he represents the county as well as his company. He should be terminated from both. I CERTAINLY wouldn't have put it down. I would have totally challenged them to arrest me. That entire ordeal was simply absurd!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Request from VCDL:

Would you happen to know the guy who was video taped at the Reston town hall meeting having the disagreement with the school district officer over the protest sign of Obama?

If so please contact either myself or PVC at VCDL.

Yata hey

alnitak

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Snip.......... The thing about that video that bothers me though, is that when school isn't in session, and it is used for public purposes like the Moran meeting, is it a school? Does the security officer have the ability to tell someone to put down that sign? I'm thinking not.
It is a school whether it is in session or not - no distinction is made. § 18.2-308.1

Yata hey
Yes, but it seems to me (however, IANAL) that in reviewing the court cases around 1st Ammendment rights and schools, the rulings only apply to the school's ability to restrict STUDENT's speech during school functions -- not adult's speech during non-school-sponsored events.

richarcm

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Request from VCDL:

Would you happen to know the guy who was video taped at the Reston town hall meeting having the disagreement with the school district officer over the protest sign of Obama?

If so please contact either myself or PVC at VCDL.

Yata hey
I don't know him but you can message him on youtube. His screen name seems to be DissentFromDayOne.