• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC near Charleston anyone?

mortonrml

imported post

I'm a local OC'r although i live close to charletson i still opencarry as often as i can, and was wondering how many other people do the same in the area (outside city limits of course)? and if so have you ever gotten stoped by a cop of any kind? and lastly do you oc in your car loaded without a ccp as grey as the laws may be on this subject.?

I'll share my story of stopped by a Trooper, I got stoped for speeding near charleston and of course was asked if i had any firearms, bazookas, handgrenades brass nucks, etc... and told him yes i do have a 1911 in my toolbox and i got my weapon for him and he ran the number came back a lil bit later and long story short i got a warning for the speed and we talked about oc and cc for around 10min granted i am under 21 so i dont have a ccp but i asked him about oc he said he used to carry all the time openly without a permit before he became a trooper. I asked him about oc'ing in a car and he just said before you even stop your car to unload the gun to be safe that way your hands are in the clear before they approach. but anywho just thought i'd share that with ya'll

mortonrml

imported post

ohh yea i've seen that, thanks though. I just would like to know if there is anyone else that oc's around charleston since ya cant downtown, and if so do ya have any good oc stories?

marlin336

imported post

Technically, I don't really open carry...although, I do sometimes get lazy and conceal in a way that you can definitely see that there is a gun on my hip. I have been asked a couple times "is that a gun?" but no experiences with LEO. My brother-in-law is Chas PD and he said the dept allows OC in Charleston, with a few obvious exceptions (school, Fed building, posted property, etc.)

It's funny, though, to hear some peoples advice on the subject. I met a guy in a restaurant in Charleston a while back. He asked if I had a gun and I said yes (it wasn't concealed well at all.) His friend that was with him was dumbfounded. He couldn't believe ordinary citizens could just walk around with a gun and not get arrested. He didn't have a problem with it. I think he just thought he had been missing out and didn't know it was legal. The guy I was speaking to said "Yeah, as long as you carry it where they can see it, it's perfectly ok [I agreed]. If you are driving and get pulled over, though, you better take the gun and hold it out your drivers side window as the officer is walking up to your car." :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

REALLY????

Needless to say, I abruptly disagreed and let them know that it would probably be a good way to get yourself shot and/or arrested immediately.