• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A SIMPLE CHALLENGE ON THE 1,000 FOOT LAW

Edward Peruta

imported post

Simple Challenge to all:

Will law enforcement officers or the state be able to prove that you KNEW the school was within 1,000 feet of your location?

Jay Leno has on many occasions, doneshow segments where he goes out on the street and asks simple questions to everyday citizens, we should do the same.

Here is a two partCHALLENGE to everyone who is discussing this issue. And if you choose to accept the challenge, make sure you do it without a firearm.

You might want to invite the media or local state legislators to the challenge and make sure you video tape the answers.

I guarantee that your findings based on answers of everyday citizens and law enforcementwill be shocking.

Pick a school, any school and make a map showing the 1,000 foot radius around the school. Then measure several different locations and record the distance so you know the answers.

[align=center]NOW FOR THE FUN[/align]

Stop any individual within the 1,000 foot radius of the school and ask if they know the distance, (inFEET),to the nearest school.

Better yet, call the routine policedepartment telephone number and askthat an officer be dispatched on a routine assist call to an areaout of sight from the school but within the radius and thenask the responding officer to tell you the distance to the nearestschool in FEET.

I'llbet that manywillknow where the school is located, but NONE will know the distance in FEET.

[align=center]MAKING A SAMPLE MAP WITH MICROSOFT STREETS[/align]I have chosen a school in the San Diego area at random in Microsoft Streets and Trips.

I then used the find nearby places using a .2 mileradius.

I then used the measure distance feature on the tool list to measure out 353 yards.

The result is the PDF graphic shown at this link.

http://www.ourrockyhill.com/1.California%20Issues/Golden%20Hill,%20San%20Diego,%20California.pdf

Now, if you are within the 1,000 foot radius of this school, you're in violation of the law....correct?

But what if you're on a street within the radius and have absolutely no knowledge that the school is one, two or three streets away?

This law is enforceable and may get you arrested. The arrest will be a hassle and may cost you money, lost hours and time, but every instance where individuals are arrested should be challenged with the support of an advocacy group.

coolusername2007

imported post

I agree that nobody will know. I wouldn't do this pro-actively though, but I'd absolutely do this if I had to defend myself. When 100% of the people you interview get the answer wrong, then you have a pretty good defense of not reasonably knowing.

Edward Peruta

imported post

I will soon return to San Diego from the East Coast and may occupy my time doing exactly what I preach.

I have the video equipment andediting software and may enjoy making this type of video for everyone to view on the internet.

I am confident that some people will know there is a school nearby and some will know the name of the school. but I'm willing to bet my reputation that almost NONE will know the distance unless there standing in front of the school.

I ride a motorcycle most of the time I'm not a passenger with my wife driving the car, and have always wondered what would happen if I was stopped two or three streets away from a school I didn't know was there.

I concur with your opinion, but put out the challenge to make people think outside the box.

I also agree that if you get arrested, it would be a very valid strategy to have the jury witness the interviews of individuals within 1,00 FEET of the school where you were cited/arrested.

Just thinking outside the box.

And it would make a really interesting YOUTUBE video.

Thanks for the comment and now lets see what other people think.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I think there's a certain laundry establishment that would be an excellent test cite...

:celebrateI will ask the questions here!

Actually I was going to go back to the laundrymat and do like the DA wants me to. . . transport the gun in a locked case into the laundrymat and remove it from the case and put in the holster inside the business. . .

Someone calls then I was within a business and legal. . . no case! If they try and make another case out of it I would have them pretty well by the snarglies.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Anyone interstested in working on an OPEN CARRY FIREARMS ISSUE Q&A video project when I return to San Diego in late October or early November?

I believe that talking to the public on camera will produce interesting results.

The final video can be submitted to various Public Access Cable organizations when completed.

Contact me at edperuta@amcable.tv

Flyer22

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
I ride a motorcycle most of the time I'm not a passenger with my wife driving the car, and have always wondered what would happen if I was stopped two or three streets away from a school I didn't know was there.

My opinion--if you get stopped for a routine traffic violation, and you don't know that the school is around, it's very unlikely that the officer will know and/or happen to think about it. "Out of sight, out of mind" has some limited but very valid applications.

Now if you're actually brandishing, or acting really strange in some way, then the officer will give you more attention and might at some point remember about the school.

(Or if you walk onto school grounds with your children producedby raping a minor. . . .)

Edward Peruta

imported post

My only point is documenting the flaw in the Penal Code regarding the distance from a school.

In most states the law prohibits you from being ON school grounds, which individuals find easier to understand and comply with.

Any law with a flaw like this one is bound to be overturned on an appeal, but that takes emotional and financial commitment.

The media would have no choice but to cover this type of private investigation by members of the public and the legislature would look like fools for having passed a law that with such a huge flaw.

Make the non commercial video and run it forfree on as manyPublic Access cable channels as possible. ESPECIALLY IN THE SACRAMENTO AREA!!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
My only point is documenting the flaw in the Penal Code regarding the distance from a school.

In most states the law prohibits you from being ON school grounds, which individuals find easier to understand and comply with.

Any law with a flaw like this one is bound to be overturned on an appeal, but that takes emotional and financial commitment.

The media would have no choice but to cover this type of private investigation by members of the public and the legislature would look like fools for having passed a law that with such a huge flaw.

Make the non commercial video and run it forfree on as manyPublic Access cable channels as possible. ESPECIALLY IN THE SACRAMENTO AREA!!
The appeals court has taken 626.9 cases and has basically upheld it. They have even expanded it, and are trying to expand it yet again with legislation as well as my trial.

As long as the Federal GFSZ is around this is likely to stand. The only real way to get rid of it might be to do as they do in Heller. GFSZ are Heller, only outside the home.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
Anyone interstested in working on an OPEN CARRY FIREARMS ISSUE Q&A video project when I return to San Diego in late October or early November?

I believe that talking to the public on camera will produce interesting results.

The final video can be submitted to various Public Access Cable organizations when completed.

Contact me at edperuta@amcable.tv
SD has many local activists. I'm sure some among them would be willing to help.

Elsensei and Pullnshoot25 are in the SD area, and did an excellent job on the open carry tutorial videos. They've also had some contact with local news media. Perhaps you should contact one of them and see about setting something up.

Bull Frog

imported post

The 1000 foot law needs to be abolished - period. If you can't instruct your legislators, you will never teach them. And if you can't teach them, you will continue to look stupid.