• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho Gun Law Pamphlet

idahoguy84

imported post

The attached pamphlet provides a useful quick reference to Idaho gun law, including statutes and case law governing concealed carry, open carry, state pre-emption of local regulations, self-defense, brandishing restrictions, etc. The law contained in it is current as of this posting date, 30 Aug 2009.

I've posted it several times since first creating it, but this post is specifically for the sticky. I hope you all find it useful.

Esto Perpetua...

Gizmoe142

imported post

I love the Brochure. Great info and a big help to get the word out a bit. However if there is a revised edition in the future it would be good to list the codes relating to the minimum age for open carry in Idaho.

Just an idea

NightOwl

imported post

I like it quite a bit. So much so that I'm going to have to print out a copy and hand it out to the CA OC guys if I run across any of 'em, just to watch 'em turn funky colors when comparing it to their laws. (I'm moving to CA for a bit)

John Wolver

imported post

Gizmoe142 wrote:
I love the Brochure. Great info and a big help to get the word out a bit. However if there is a revised edition in the future it would be good to list the codes relating to the minimum age for open carry in Idaho.

Just an idea
we are redoing it now actually, ty for imput.

sirpuma

imported post

I really like Idaho's firearms laws. Much more sensible that most other states, including WA.

I'll be in the Couer D'Alene/Post Falls area the next couple days. I had to make sure where I can or can't OC. Nice to find out on the AG's site that I can even CC with my WA CPL.

Idaho ROCKS!!!:celebrate

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Probably has been discussed before, but I saw this in the Idaho pamphlet:

From the Idaho constitution:

"No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition."

Yet they require a license for CC.

Any info?

adam m

imported post

Seems to me that means you don't need a license to buy one. An oc is free also. You aren't required to get a cc to buy or own. and we don't pay yearly taxes on our weapons or ammo. I am no lawyer hopefully my understanding helps. Maybe someone else could further edify you.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

What I'm looking at in that part of the constitution is possession. In order to possess it in a certain manner, i.e. conceal carry, a license is needed. Then again, to me, I'm the type that things that any sort of licensing for any sort of purchase, ownership or carry is highly unconstitutional. I wish more states were like Alaska and Vermont.

adam m

imported post

I understand what you're saying. The state requires a a cwp to cc, and whe you get pulled over the police run your dl and see you have a cwp so they can assume you have a weapon. Whereas, a criminal without a cwp who is ccing gets pulled over. The police run him he has no cwp but a warrant the police go to arrest him and bam shoot out.

What I'm getting at goes with the old addage. If you outlaw guns only the outlaws own guns. I know it's not the same. But it is similar yet ironic. If you have a cwp then you're most likely a law abiding citizen, and the police should have nothing to fear. It just seems silly to me. I'm with you. Alaska!

Sorry just babbling. Maybe we could propose a new law to that extent.

adam m

imported post

Random question.
Where does the term leo come from? This is the first place I've heard the police referred to as such.

IDEagleEye

imported post

Here's what I found on Wikipedia on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_slang_terms_for_police_officers

LEO
Acronym for "Law Enforcement Officer". Erroneously employed in the USA as a euphemism for a policeman or a policewoman, and used exclusively by the police themselves. In the USA, law enforcement is the exclusive purview of the court/jury system, and the acronym would (were it used at all) properly refer to judges and officers of the court.
Hope it helps!

IndianaBoy79

imported post

You have to read it in context:

ARTICLE I DECLARATION OF RIGHTSSection 11.Right to keep and bear arms.The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the commission of a felony.

Our state constitution protects OPEN carry, not concealed carry. The open way in which we carry our arms IS our license. Goes back to old west times - the idea is we should all know who is going armed. Open carry was usually the ONLY way to carry a gun legally as most jurisdictions completely banned concealed carry. I mean, why would anyone want to conceal it? "They must be up to no good..." So when they wrote to Idaho constitution, they left a way for the legislature to regulate this dishonorable activity.

They can't stop your purchase, impose a tax, or ban you from carrying, but they can try and tell you not to hide it in your shorts!

idahodude

Heres the copy that I have, valid as of April 2010 from another post in here.

Attachments

• idaho_gun_law_APR2010_hq.pdf
    232.6 KB · Views: 816