• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

good experience in NY

sail1

imported post

Haven't had the urge to buy a new pistol in quite a few years but did so this week. found one at BassPro, paid for it Tues night, went to Sherrifs office Weds for purchase coupon and to see about credit card type permit. Weds afternoon had my new pistol and fri morning had the new card style permit. Absolutely no hassle anywhere. Surprised me.

WheelGun

imported post

Where are you? What county? What do you mean by a credit cart type permit?

Do you mean a NYS License to Carry? They take several months to get. Explain what only took several days.

In Delaware County licensees are issued a purchase document with no expiration date, so you this is one of the few places in NY that you can just walk in and buy a pistol without going back and forth to the licensing agency to purchase.

redlegagent

imported post

Some counties have replaced the older paper permits for newer ones like a drivers license. Evidently, his county is one of them. My county has been making noises for past 18 months about switching over but they still don't have "all the equipment in place" yet. Obviously, he already had a permit which he updated hence he hadn't bought a pistol "in a while". ;)

WheelGun

imported post

Makes sense when read that way. Thanks.

The 'credit cards' are nicer than the paper licenses (I never thought to use that term but it makes perfect sense. I have expanded my vocabulary!)

The county of my former residence used a green colored white-out when they made changes to the paper permit.

More people should post their residences along with the profiles, their posts would make so much more sense knowing their perception of topics discussed.

Hopefully I won't show my age by saying this, but how many people from New York remember back when we had the only non-photo driver's licenses in the US? They were printed on green paper also.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sail1 wrote:
Haven't had the urge to buy a new pistol in quite a few years but did so this week. found one at BassPro, paid for it Tues night, went to Sherrifs office Weds for purchase coupon and to see about credit card type permit. Weds afternoon had my new pistol and fri morning had the new card style permit. Absolutely no hassle anywhere. Surprised me.
One time, drive by posters always lose serious credibility due to their lack of follow through and documentation.

Makes nice bedtime story though.

Yata hey

oneofthepeople

imported post

I recall in the early '80s and '90s that purchase stubs were available at $1 or $2 each and you would just go to the judge's clerk and pick them up. I accumulated, like, three of them. Then you were entrusted as a sane person to add or remove listed guns right on the license yourself and report within so many days. I mean it was no big deal at all. I remember that a downstate gun dealer was so amazed that, unlike locals, I could simply just give her the purchase coupon and leave with the purchase, which she confirmed by calling the Pistol License clerk of course.