• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry while hunting

Hendu024

imported post

WheelGun wrote:
Go hiking in the woods. Carry your gun.

While you are hiking, take mental notes of good hunting areas. Come back with equipment legal for the season, and hunt.

Who knows what is going on in your mind while you are walking in the woods with a legal firearm?
Exactly. The goal of the game wardens is not to harass people carrying a gun that could be used for hunting when they don't have a permit or it's out of season. They have bigger fish to fry usually. I was simply saying before that if you carry a gun that has a scope on it or something like that, you may get stopped because they would have a legit reason to at least be momentarily suspicious. But in all reality, the odds of seeing a game warden really aren't that great, but it does depend on where you are at.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Of course, here in TX it is legal to carry most any 'long' gun, pretty much anywhere at any time... (thus why I am looking for a 'saddle rifle' at the moment..) But, you get 'caught' doing that after dark during deer season... Or in daylight off season in a huntable area... (most 'varmints' including hogs are best hunted at night with a spot light) Or during bow only season... You are likely to find yourself at least questioned...

FrankC

imported post

TAURUS24/7.40cal wrote:
In Wisconsin the warden said get a small game license and you are OK :celebrate

That sounds like a perfect time to tell him to pack sand! Why would you need any kind of hunting license to go hiking in the woods while carrying?