Thread: Picking on WalMart and Others

Post imported post

You ever go in to buy ammo and, miracle of miracles, you find it? Then you notice the signs limiting purchases to 2 or 4 boxes and your frustration mounts? You weigh the stigma of hoarding against the reality of buying when you finally stumble across inventory on hand but what to do?

Well, if you have never heard of it here's a cute little section of the Idaho Statutes which may come in handy. Reference link follows forTITLE 48 -MONOPOLIES AND TRADE PRACTICES.

CHAPTER 4 - UNFAIR SALES ACT
    48-405A. LIMITATION OF QUANTITY OF ITEMS OFFERED FOR SALE AT RETAIL PROHIBITED

No person conducting a retail business, which involves the resale
    to consumers of commodities purchased or acquired for that purpose, may limit
    the quantity of any article or product sold or offered for sale to any one
    customer to a quantity less than the entire supply thereof owned or possessed
    by the seller or which he otherwise is authorized to sell. Any person as
    principal, agent, officer or director, by himself, or another person, who
    shall violate this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor for each single
    violation and upon conviction thereof shall be punishable pursuant to the
    provisions of section 48-405, Idaho Code.

The Idaho Code is made available on the Internet by the Idaho Legislature as a public service.
    This Internet version of the Idaho Code may not be used for commercial purposes, nor may this database be published or repackaged for commercial sale without express written permission.

http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newi...d=480040005A.K

In short, limitations on quantities purchased are illegal.

Post imported post

Wow! I've heard of laws like that in other states but had no idea it existed here! Great job.... Do you sue if they break it, or can you call the police to have them arrested? lol

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA

Post imported post

That's good info. Really good info.

Post imported post

Question is... how do you enforce the law? By the time someone of authority shows up, the ammo will be all gone.

Post imported post

What I do.

Carry a copy of the citation in your wallet.

WM never seems to have more than 2 boxes of anything I want anyway, sigh.

If I ever have to use this to get what I want, then I'm planning on telling the manager he better be conversant with whatever that penalty involves, personally.

I would think if it ever really came down to it, the manager and/or WM would make sure you got whatever you wanted if you would just leave them alone.

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA

Post imported post

And while doing so tell them you saw the ammo cheaper at a competitors price and you want the same price. LOL.

Post imported post

I'm not really too worried about stores like Wally World. They don't care about supply and demand. If you want to buy every box off their shelves, it's money in the pocket for them.

Post imported post

The one (WM) on Franklin has a limit posted of 2 boxes per customer. It's taped on the counter at the register. I don't know if the one on Fairview does the same or not.

Post imported post

I find myself sympathetic to the idea of protecting the rights of a business owner to do whatever the hell he/she wants with their business. I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful.

Post imported post

As I mentioned it's a tough call on walking the line betweenhoarding and keepingyourself supplied.

I also hear you on the business owner having the right to run their business how they see fit. In the end, you have to go with your philosophies.

It's there if you need it.

Post imported post

I hear you. If you need some basic supplies I may be worth it. I just wanted to keep the idea of business rights alive at the same time. After all, I like having businesses around so I can buy stuff and have a job.

Post imported post

Does anyone else find it ironic that we're defending the rights of the Business owner and talking about WM in a positive sence in the same sentence?

Post imported post

I love WM and think that they're a heck of an operation. Nobody forces the hundreds of millions of customers to shop there so they must do something right. Good prices, large selections, one-stop shopping, all of these seem to be something the consumers want.

Post imported post

Ironic, perhaps. Still, Walmart brings up the standard of living for everyone who shops there, or we wouldn't shop there. They have ample problems that come with being huge, but huge brings us things for less $$.

Post imported post

ecocks wrote:
    I love WM and think that they're a heck of an operation. Nobody forces the hundreds of millions of customers to shop there so they must do something right. Good prices, large selections, one-stop shopping, all of these seem to be something the consumers want
    And all at the same time, they push out and destroy small business across the country. "Oh, but Wal Mart creates thousands of jobs, right?" Yes, thousands of minimum wage jobs.

Post imported post

I'm with you on the business rights. While the law in this matter works in my favor, I don't know if I could use it to help myself or not.

I don't have a right to buy what they choose not to sell me.

Post imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
    ecocks wrote:
    I love WM and think that they're a heck of an operation. Nobody forces the hundreds of millions of customers to shop there so they must do something right. Good prices, large selections, one-stop shopping, all of these seem to be something the consumers want
    And all at the same time, they push out and destroy small business across the country. "Oh, but Wal Mart creates thousands of jobs, right?" Yes, thousands of minimum wage jobs.
    They are, in fact. one of the largest employers in the US. People vote with their dollars to make them winners. So, unless you favor protectionist legislation to keep higher cost businesses in the black, all you can do is spend your money with smaller business operations and avoid the big box stores.

Good Luck!

Post imported post

hey, i work at wal mart. i dont make minimum wage, and they have pretty good benefits. and it's a fun job!!! to me, at least. but yeah, we do have a 2-box-limit on ammo, and yeah - that applies for me as an employee too. i dont know what the guys at sporting goods desk would say with that law in their face. it would be pretty funny to watch....

Post imported post

Let me know when there's some ammo due in and I'll go by early in the morning and see if I can buy 4 boxes of 9 or .40. I need some reason to get up and get in gear early anyway.

Post imported post

ecocks wrote:
    Let me know when there's some ammo due in and I'll go by early in the morning and see if I can buy 4 boxes of 9 or .40. I need some reason to get up and get in gear early anyway.
    i dont know til i see it on the pallet or on the shelf. and the dude in sporting goods that i usually see is a little... odd. so he doesnt usually tell me either. but if i see any, i'll definitely make a post somewhere here that theres ammo.

Post imported post

Someone should a copy of that to the regional manager for Walmart in the area. They'll stop it once they confirm the law.

Post imported post

Wow, I'll remember this next time I go in to Black Sheep up in CDA... They've been doing the 2 lb of powder limit for a long time and that makes it very difficult to get consistent lot numbers on powder!