• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picking on WalMart and Others

ecocks

imported post

You ever go in to buy ammo and, miracle of miracles, you find it? Then you notice the signs limiting purchases to 2 or 4 boxes and your frustration mounts? You weigh the stigma of hoarding against the reality of buying when you finally stumble across inventory on hand but what to do?

Well, if you have never heard of it here's a cute little section of the Idaho Statutes which may come in handy. Reference link follows forTITLE 48 -MONOPOLIES AND TRADE PRACTICES.

[align=center]CHAPTER 4 - UNFAIR SALES ACT
48-405A. LIMITATION OF QUANTITY OF ITEMS OFFERED FOR SALE AT RETAIL PROHIBITED
. [/align]
No person conducting a retail business, which involves the resale
to consumers of commodities purchased or acquired for that purpose, may limit
the quantity of any article or product sold or offered for sale to any one
customer to a quantity less than the entire supply thereof owned or possessed
by the seller or which he otherwise is authorized to sell. Any person as
principal, agent, officer or director, by himself, or another person, who
shall violate this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor for each single
violation and upon conviction thereof shall be punishable pursuant to the
provisions of section 48-405, Idaho Code.

The Idaho Code is made available on the Internet by the Idaho Legislature as a public service.
This Internet version of the Idaho Code may not be used for commercial purposes, nor may this database be published or repackaged for commercial sale without express written permission.

http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=480040005A.K

In short, limitations on quantities purchased are illegal.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Wow! I've heard of laws like that in other states but had no idea it existed here! Great job.... Do you sue if they break it, or can you call the police to have them arrested? lol

ecocks

imported post

What I do.

Carry a copy of the citation in your wallet.

WM never seems to have more than 2 boxes of anything I want anyway, sigh.

If I ever have to use this to get what I want, then I'm planning on telling the manager he better be conversant with whatever that penalty involves, personally.

I would think if it ever really came down to it, the manager and/or WM would make sure you got whatever you wanted if you would just leave them alone.

widescreen

imported post

I'm not really too worried about stores like Wally World. They don't care about supply and demand. If you want to buy every box off their shelves, it's money in the pocket for them.

ecocks

imported post

The one (WM) on Franklin has a limit posted of 2 boxes per customer. It's taped on the counter at the register. I don't know if the one on Fairview does the same or not.

Eric.

imported post

I find myself sympathetic to the idea of protecting the rights of a business owner to do whatever the hell he/she wants with their business. I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful.

ecocks

imported post

As I mentioned it's a tough call on walking the line betweenhoarding and keepingyourself supplied.

I also hear you on the business owner having the right to run their business how they see fit. In the end, you have to go with your philosophies.

It's there if you need it.

Eric.

imported post

I hear you. If you need some basic supplies I may be worth it. I just wanted to keep the idea of business rights alive at the same time. After all, I like having businesses around so I can buy stuff and have a job.

widescreen

imported post

Does anyone else find it ironic that we're defending the rights of the Business owner and talking about WM in a positive sence in the same sentence?

ecocks

imported post

I love WM and think that they're a heck of an operation. Nobody forces the hundreds of millions of customers to shop there so they must do something right. Good prices, large selections, one-stop shopping, all of these seem to be something the consumers want.

Eric.

imported post

Ironic, perhaps. Still, Walmart brings up the standard of living for everyone who shops there, or we wouldn't shop there. They have ample problems that come with being huge, but huge brings us things for less $$.

Hendu024

imported post

ecocks wrote:
I love WM and think that they're a heck of an operation. Nobody forces the hundreds of millions of customers to shop there so they must do something right. Good prices, large selections, one-stop shopping, all of these seem to be something the consumers want
And all at the same time, they push out and destroy small business across the country. "Oh, but Wal Mart creates thousands of jobs, right?" Yes, thousands of minimum wage jobs.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I'm with you on the business rights. While the law in this matter works in my favor, I don't know if I could use it to help myself or not.

I don't have a right to buy what they choose not to sell me.

ecocks

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
ecocks wrote:
I love WM and think that they're a heck of an operation. Nobody forces the hundreds of millions of customers to shop there so they must do something right. Good prices, large selections, one-stop shopping, all of these seem to be something the consumers want
And all at the same time, they push out and destroy small business across the country. "Oh, but Wal Mart creates thousands of jobs, right?" Yes, thousands of minimum wage jobs.

They are, in fact. one of the largest employers in the US. People vote with their dollars to make them winners. So, unless you favor protectionist legislation to keep higher cost businesses in the black, all you can do is spend your money with smaller business operations and avoid the big box stores.

Good Luck!

Thelukaskezik

imported post

hey, i work at wal mart. i dont make minimum wage, and they have pretty good benefits. and it's a fun job!!! to me, at least. but yeah, we do have a 2-box-limit on ammo, and yeah - that applies for me as an employee too. i dont know what the guys at sporting goods desk would say with that law in their face. it would be pretty funny to watch....

ecocks

imported post

Let me know when there's some ammo due in and I'll go by early in the morning and see if I can buy 4 boxes of 9 or .40. I need some reason to get up and get in gear early anyway.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Let me know when there's some ammo due in and I'll go by early in the morning and see if I can buy 4 boxes of 9 or .40. I need some reason to get up and get in gear early anyway.
i dont know til i see it on the pallet or on the shelf. and the dude in sporting goods that i usually see is a little... odd. so he doesnt usually tell me either. but if i see any, i'll definitely make a post somewhere here that theres ammo.