• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"good" LEO encounter

joshuaeberly

imported post

got home tonight, and drove around the block like I do EVERY time I come home, and just about ran into a couple kids high-tailing it into the railyard. look down the street, and my neighbor(who's had more than a few run-ins with the law) doing a real smooth takedown on another kid across the street from his(my neighbors) house.

me being me, I switched on my brights, hopped out of the truck, and, moved around the side so that I was in the shadows, and they were in the bright light, and very loudly said "what the hell's going on here", apparently my neighbor caught the kids trying to steal charcoal (whoohoo we gotta steal a 3 dollar bag of charcoal) and collared the one.

well, once I knew what was going on, I borrowed the neighbors cell to call the cops, and the kid(13 yrs old) just about wet himself when he realized I was armed. kid got a 20 min lecture, and by the time the cops got there, he was just about in tears, mebbe it scared a little sense into him, but I doubt it.

good part was my neighbor turning the kid towards me and saying, "what if it'd been his house? LOOK AT THAT, keep this up you're gonna get yourself shot someday kid"

better part was the cop never looked at ME twice, when the dispatcher asked about weapons, I told him that I was openly carrying, but did not see any weapons on my neighbor or the punk, and the cop NEVER LOOKED AT ME TWICE.

I'll call no contact, lecture, glares, sidelong looks etc.... good interaction.

malignity

imported post

Excellent. Great to hear about the good encounter.

And yes, the kid was stealing a 3 dollar bag of charcoal, but hey, he shouldn't have been stealing at all. Maybe this is exactly what this kid needs to shape up and get his sh!t together. I say this, because I used to vandalize the hell out of my neighborhood as a kid, and once I got caught and got the living you know what scared out of me, I never did it again. I'm glad too; had any of that stuff transferred to my adult record, I would not have been a proud CPL holder today.