• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

for your consideration, but not derision

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you just plain disapprove of carrying a PLR-16, then don't bother replying.

I've looked at holster and holster designing, etc on this matter, and have decided that a holster isn't really the way to OC a PLR-16. It just needs a bolt-on accessory that clips on to your belt, pants, corner of pocket, etc.

What do you think? So often, I hear people mention 'properly holstered' when justifying legality. Since it would not technically be in a holster, how would that go? Does the turkey still fly?

grimstar

imported post

Well, it sounds like the Clipdraw attachment which is sold for several popular handguns. Basically a metal clip similar to the ones on many folding knives and originally pioneered by Spyderco, I believe. They attach next to, or under, the regular grips on the gun, and are usually used like an IWB holster...sort of a safer form of "mexican" carry.

My only concern with it would be just how strong the clip was in regard to the weight of the weapon. Not to mention just how strong your pocket or waistband is...it would be rather embarrassing to not only have the gun hit the pavement, but to have your trousers fall apart at the same time! :lol:

On another note, I have...just once or twice...carried an SWD M-12 and found that it fits rather nicely in a cordless drill holster from the hardware store.
(For those unfamiliar with it, the M-12 is the semi-automatic .380 caliber "little brother" of the MAC-10. They were made by several companies and usually sold under the "Cobray" brand name.

Grimstar

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ixtow wrote:
If you just plain disapprove of carrying a PLR-16, then don't bother replying.

I've looked at holster and holster designing, etc on this matter, and have decided that a holster isn't really the way to OC a PLR-16. It just needs a bolt-on accessory that clips on to your belt, pants, corner of pocket, etc.

What do you think? So often, I hear people mention 'properly holstered' when justifying legality. Since it would not technically be in a holster, how would that go? Does the turkey still fly?

ixtow, do you own a PLR-16? Are you thinking of OCing one?

keltec-plr16.jpg

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not thinking of just some tiny little tab of spring steel. A really substantial machined tang that bolts to the two bolts just rear of the magwell. I may even include some form of positive retention button that has to be pressed. But not sure if that serves a point when the trigger is exposed....

I may just scrap the whole idea, my question was to the legality of it for OC. I just don't see making a real holster to be practical.

M

McX

imported post

I don't know guy. The Cops seem nervous enough just viewing an Oc-er with a basic handgun. Kinda over the top to me, but even still I would stand aside, and say; The man has a Constitutional right. Might scare the little old Ladies though. Kids will dig it, the politically correct will be on their cellphones in a heartbeat to the heat. But still, your on to something, don't scrap it, carry it out, complete the project!

PT111

imported post

Since it is classified as a pistol by KT then you may could do it. However there may be some requirements such as in SC we do not have OC but CC covers only those handguns that have a maximum length of 12" so the PLR-16 would not qualify even if you could figure out how to conceal it. It's not my cup of tea but I really don't see a lot of difference between carrying a a PLR-16 and a DE .50 or S&W .500.