Thread: Is IWB Open Carry?

Post imported post

Being new to VA, I am just looking for confirmation. Is carrying inside the waistband open carry? I have always believed that it was. When I carry IWB, I carrymy Glock 22 at 4 o'clock in a High Noon leather or BladeTech kydex holster. Looks very much like the picture below from vaguninfo.com, which is one of their open carry examples. Of course, when I sit down into a chair, the gun may not be readily visible because it is between me and the chair. Is that an issue, say at a restaurant that serves alcohol?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Some say that it is, some say that it isnt.

There is no clear cut answer. Search here for Virginia tuck...we've discussed it before.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

It does not look... * * * [hidden from common observation]... to me!

Virginia Code 18.2-308.

Post imported post

If most people can see it and identify it as a gun, you're good to go.

the "chair" or "strongside against the wall" deal is a different story. Just because no one can readily see it due to a stationary object blocking the view, is that concealed?

if a tree falls and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

I personally feel it's still open carry. YMMV.

Post imported post

I don't know if this really clears anything up, but here's some case law surrounding the issue of concealed weapons:

http://www.virginia1774.org/Page1.html#ConcealedWeapon

Personally I think a handgun IWB is not concealed as long as the shirt, if any, is tucked behind the handgun.

Post imported post

Thanks for the info. Clear as mud. When I carry OWB, I do so in a Serpa or Galco retention holster, which exposes about the sameportion of the gun as the IWB. Most of what is visible OWB is the holster in the shape of the gun, not the gun itself. I tend to prefer IWB because the gun is closer to my body and I don't bump into things with it. It is also easier for transitioning to CC with a wider range of concealment garments. I will continue to use IWB for open carry, since there is nothing in the law that says thatIWB meansconcelaed. I tend to wear light colored shirts,and the grip of the Glock is pretty distinctive on light background. Definitely can tell its a gun!!! :what:

Post imported post

FWIW I have had LEOs say that the weapon should be visible from 3 sides, although I have not seen that officially. I surmise that it may be in some training they have had.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

I had a pair of officers tell me once that I was required to tell them I was carrying. When I politely informed them that VA is not a "shall notify" state, they came back with "Yeah, well it's a courtesy."

That don't make it a law.

I suppose you could save yourself the trouble by walking around with your hands on your head and your fingers interlocked, announcing at regular intervals "I have a gun, do not be alarmed."

I'm sure that would go over like gangbusters.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    FWIW I have had LEOs say that the weapon should be visible from 3 sides, although I have not seen that officially. I surmise that it may be in some training they have had.
    The handgun as pictured is visible from 3 sides. As to that being "law" I adamantly say it is not. As to it being "training" I have no idea and my guess is that until pressed in court no PD is going to give any response to what they train their officers to consider when deciding it it is concealed from common observation or not.

By common useage that appears to be considered not concealed from common observation. Wonder how a judge/jury would respond to several hundred witnesses showing to testify that they were never arrested for illegal CC by carrying that way?

stay safe. Relax.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    The "three sides" law is in a few other states, not virginia. Here it is simply not "hidden from common observation" as Open Carry is not legally defined or mentioned. CC is, so it is safe to assume that OC is simply not CC.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    I had a pair of officers tell me once that I was required to tell them I was carrying. When I politely informed them that VA is not a "shall notify" state, they came back with "Yeah, well it's a courtesy."

That don't make it a law.

I suppose you could save yourself the trouble by walking around with your hands on your head and your fingers interlocked, announcing at regular intervals "I have a gun, do not be alarmed."

I'm sure that would go over like gangbusters.
    The mental image I get from this is pretty hilarious.

Post imported post

Do it all the time and my gunisn't that visible.
    My daily travels brings me into contact with Leo's from various dept's and I have yet to have an issue, going on 4+yrs.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Do it all the time and my gunisn't that visible.
    My daily travels brings me into contact with Leo's from various dept's and I have yet to have an issue, going on 4+yrs.
    Maybe because they don't know it's there...

Post imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
    Maybe because they don't know it's there...
    Oh, they know.
    I usually carry a G20 or G35the day I carried a smaller firearm one officer asked, if I felt under gunned.

Most strike up a conversation if I'm carrying something rare or expensive.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin