• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is IWB Open Carry?

gis

imported post

Being new to VA, I am just looking for confirmation. Is carrying inside the waistband open carry? I have always believed that it was. When I carry IWB, I carrymy Glock 22 at 4 o'clock in a High Noon leather or BladeTech kydex holster. Looks very much like the picture below from vaguninfo.com, which is one of their open carry examples. Of course, when I sit down into a chair, the gun may not be readily visible because it is between me and the chair. Is that an issue, say at a restaurant that serves alcohol?

[align=center] [/align]

aadvark

imported post

It does not look... * * * [hidden from common observation]... to me!

Virginia Code 18.2-308.

nova

imported post

If most people can see it and identify it as a gun, you're good to go.

the "chair" or "strongside against the wall" deal is a different story. Just because no one can readily see it due to a stationary object blocking the view, is that concealed?

if a tree falls and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

I personally feel it's still open carry. YMMV.

gis

imported post

Thanks for the info. Clear as mud. :) When I carry OWB, I do so in a Serpa or Galco retention holster, which exposes about the sameportion of the gun as the IWB. Most of what is visible OWB is the holster in the shape of the gun, not the gun itself. I tend to prefer IWB because the gun is closer to my body and I don't bump into things with it. It is also easier for transitioning to CC with a wider range of concealment garments. I will continue to use IWB for open carry, since there is nothing in the law that says thatIWB meansconcelaed. I tend to wear light colored shirts,and the grip of the Glock is pretty distinctive on light background. Definitely can tell its a gun!!! :what:

paramedic70002

imported post

FWIW I have had LEOs say that the weapon should be visible from 3 sides, although I have not seen that officially. I surmise that it may be in some training they have had.

wylde007

imported post

I had a pair of officers tell me once that I was required to tell them I was carrying. When I politely informed them that VA is not a "shall notify" state, they came back with "Yeah, well it's a courtesy."

That don't make it a law.

I suppose you could save yourself the trouble by walking around with your hands on your head and your fingers interlocked, announcing at regular intervals "I have a gun, do not be alarmed."

I'm sure that would go over like gangbusters.:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
FWIW I have had LEOs say that the weapon should be visible from 3 sides, although I have not seen that officially. I surmise that it may be in some training they have had.

The handgun as pictured is visible from 3 sides. As to that being "law" I adamantly say it is not. As to it being "training" I have no idea and my guess is that until pressed in court no PD is going to give any response to what they train their officers to consider when deciding it it is concealed from common observation or not.

By common useage that appears to be considered not concealed from common observation. Wonder how a judge/jury would respond to several hundred witnesses showing to testify that they were never arrested for illegal CC by carrying that way?

stay safe. Relax.

skidmark

nova

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
The "three sides" law is in a few other states, not virginia. Here it is simply not "hidden from common observation" as Open Carry is not legally defined or mentioned. CC is, so it is safe to assume that OC is simply not CC.

Milbars

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I had a pair of officers tell me once that I was required to tell them I was carrying. When I politely informed them that VA is not a "shall notify" state, they came back with "Yeah, well it's a courtesy."

That don't make it a law.

I suppose you could save yourself the trouble by walking around with your hands on your head and your fingers interlocked, announcing at regular intervals "I have a gun, do not be alarmed."

I'm sure that would go over like gangbusters.:lol:
The mental image I get from this is pretty hilarious.

Marco

imported post

Do it all the time and my gunisn't that visible.
My daily travels brings me into contact with Leo's from various dept's and I have yet to have an issue, going on 4+yrs.

pix878933328.jpg

Marco

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
;) Maybe because they don't know it's there... ;)

Oh, they know.
I usually carry a G20 or G35the day I carried a smaller firearm one officer asked, if I felt under gunned.:lol:

Most strike up a conversation if I'm carrying something rare or expensive.