• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Airline transportation of a hand gun?

1FASTC4

imported post

pkbites wrote:
Which airline is it?

I've flown a zillion times transporting my pistol and almost every time it's a piece of cake. In my vast experience you do not have to allow any extra time to check in.

Yep. Declare the fire arm. You can even have ammo in your suitcase. It just has to be in its original container. I've checkeck hand guns at Rhinelander and MKE with never a problem. always courteous treatment as well.

RugerMan

imported post

pkbites wrote:
Which airline is it?

I've flown a zillion times transporting my pistol and almost every time it's a piece of cake. In my vast experience you do not have to allow any extra time to check in.

The only time I had a problem was flying out of San Fransisco. There they insisted on taking me to a separate room and searching my luggage with me standing there. I put up a fuss to no success. The whole ordeal took 10 minutes and I was on my way.

Other than that one time I've had no delays checking in with a firearm. You simply check in, say "I have a firearm to declare", fill out the red (sometimes orange) tag declaring the gun is unloaded (takes 10 seconds) put the tag in your luggage, and you're off. Some airlines want you to open the action and show the attendant that the weapon is unloaded. This takes a walloping 30 extra seconds.

The important thing is to print off a copy of both the TSA rules AND the rules of the specific airline you're flying and follow them to the letter.

It's no big deal, I promise.:)
I want to reiterate that although you may not need extra time for CHECK IN, your bag will most likely need extra time for screening. As an added precaution should there be questions as to your checked firearm, print your name, address, flight info, and cell phone number on a piece of paper and lay it in your suitcase on TOP of your clothes or whatever. Who knows what your gun looks like in xray, and who knows how well the screening agent knows what is loaded or not. If they have any doubts, they'll open up your suitcase, maybe page you via public address etc.. if they have your cell number they can call you right up and ask what they need to. There are ALOT of things that can delay a bag, adding a checked firearm only adds to the odds of a delay. I say this as someone who used to track lost/delayed airline bags for a living, and someone who flies with a checked handgun regularly.

Lastly, when you get your luggage at your destination, open your bag IMMEDIATELY after getting off the carousel. You will want to verify that your gun is still in the bag BEFORE you leave the airport. Should it go missing (I've seen it happen), your best bet at getting it back or being compensated will be to report it immediately.

As with all aspects of flying pose 9/11: hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

RugerMan wrote:
You may carry a small amount of ammo, but it must be in a separate container, in factory packaging.
Not really, you can use other packaging, and ammo can be carried in the same container as the firearm. Ammo cannot be loose or in a baggie... It has to be in something made to carry ammo.

This is the TSA's language:

• You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
  • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
  • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

1FASTC4

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
RugerMan wrote:
You may carry a small amount of ammo, but it must be in a separate container, in factory packaging.
Not really, you can use other packaging,
Not according to every airline I've ever traveled on.

RugerMan

imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
RugerMan wrote:
Not really, you can use other packaging,
Not according to every airline I've ever traveled on.
Correct. Most airlines have more stringent rules than TSA. Most airlines require ammo to be in a separate piece of baggage. I believe the thinking is that if the ammo and gun are separate it makes it more difficult that someone onboad could access both and use it while in flight. (Because on most aircraft it could be possible to access a cargo hold via the cabin floor) Not that it's a legitimate concern, but it is the rule by and large in civil aviation nowadays.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I've packed my ammo in the gun case, without problems. I've also transported ammo using the plastic ammo boxes one gets at sporting stores-- again, without problems.

Can't name all of the airlines off hand, but I believe the last one I transported a firearm on was Continental.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Here's Continental's policy from their website:

No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.

From Northwest Airlines:
In addition to one (1) of the above items, Northwest accepts small arms ammunition up to a maximum of 11 pounds (5 kg). Guns and ammunition may be in the same piece of baggage. However, ammunition must be within its own packaging.
For trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific travel, firearms may be included in the baggage allowance as described above. However, for international travel you must obtain and comply with regulations governing the transportation of firearms for *ALL* countries you are traveling to, including those where only flight connections occur.
Northwest accepts firearms, handguns, and ammunition under the following conditions:
  • All firearms must be locked in a suitable crush-proof / hard-sided container manufactured specifically for firearms or hard-sided suitcase. Hard-shell gun cases can be purchased at domestic airports.
  • Ammunition must be in the manufacturer's original packaging or a container specifically designed for ammunition. Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles will not be accepted.
United Airlines:

[font="arial,geneva"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Federal regulations require that firearms in checked baggage or in their own shipping case be unloaded and declared. Firearms are not allowed in carry-on bags. Firearms in checked baggage must be packed in a locked hard-sided bag or gun case. A maximum of 11 lbs. of small arms ammunition is allowed in checked luggage in the original manufacturer's box or securely packed in a fiber, wood, or metal box to prevent movement of cartridges.

Delta:

[/font]
[/font]Shooting equipment is accepted as checked baggage. When checking a firearm, you must:
  • Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm (If a Security Checkpoint is prior to the Delta ticket counter, you must declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel.)
  • Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
  • Lock the firearm(s) in a hard-sided, crush-proof container and retain the key or combination
  • Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes
Firearms transported to the United Kingdom as checked baggage require a permit from the United Kingdom. The passenger must contact the United Kingdom for more information regarding this permit. Ammunition in excess of 11 pounds per passenger or that contains incendiary projectiles is prohibited. Rifles Delta will accept firearms and shooting equipment packaged as follows:
  • One gun case containing up to a total of four rifles or shotguns, plus shooting materials, and tools
  • One gun case containing up to five handguns, one scope, and tools
  • One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container of sufficient strength to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
Shotguns
  • two shotguns
  • two shotgun cases
  • 11 pounds (approximately 5 kg) of ammunition
Pistols One pistol case containing:
  • five pistols
  • pistol telescopes
  • noise suppressers
  • a small pistol tool case
  • 11 pounds (approximately 5 kg) of ammunition
Don't know which airline's you've been flying--- but these are the most common ones for me, and they are generally no more strict than the federal requirements.

metalman383

imported post

Made it to Texas. Flew out of Minneapolis, no problems. It was kind of wierd, the TSA gentelman had me open up the locking case, right in the middle of the floor, and gobs of people, to put the special tag inside. He never even looked at it. Very glad I brought a gun. Van broke down in OK. Late night and kind of desolite, with only my gun to keep me company, but that was all I needed!:)

SprayAndPray

imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
I wish that I knew where I read the story, but there was at least one airline that marked packages containing firearms with something like four "F's", ie FFFF. I drew special attention to the pachages and some firearms ended up going missing. It was determined in the court of law as far as I know, that they are not allowed to mark the outside of the package in any special manner. I would, however, ship the ammo separately from for pistol JIC.

I would print out the guidelines/regulations regarding transportating a firearm on a flight JIC the lady/dude at the counter isn't as smart as you.
Call the FAA , this is blatently illegal