• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going for a visit, what must I know?

Dahwg

imported post

I'll be in San Diego for the long weekend, will be camping out at Camp Pendleton so I will be leaving my gun at home :(. I do however carry a couple of knives a regular folder (a Benchmade with a 4 1.2 inch blade) and a K-Bar (kept in the car mostly).

The question is, what do I need to be concerned about regarding these weapons in my car?

Dahwg

imported post

Thanks, really good article, lots of good info. To be on the safe side, I'll leave the k-bar home, especially not knowing the restrictions on base. I'll feel completely naked, but well, I can't expect every state to be Arizona. Keep up the fight trying to win back your rights guys!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
This is fairly complete: http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

Basically, don't go onto school property and you should be okay. Any fixed blade knives must be carried openly.
I have a major problem with the following (from the above site):

But the reality is, local knife ordinances cannot be applied to people passing through on a major road, enforcement of all local ordinances is spotty unless you fit a "juvenile offender profile", and most cops don't even know their local knife ordinances.
The author fails to make a citation here. My personal experience is that most cops DO in fact know their local knife ordinances, because they are an easy way to 'get knives off the streets' when found in the hands of gang members.

Also, the article is a bit misleading about the range of knife laws.

For example, in Modesto, CA, we have an ordinance banning any 'dangerous weapon', including ALL knives (including folders) with a blade greater than 2 inches. The statute is open-ended, stating "including, but not limited to..."; I've seen guys busted for carrying a screwdriver (though I doubt they'd bust you for having a basic toolbox in your car, unless you were up to no good).

A mere 20 minute drive to the south is the city of Turlock, which doesn't have any knife laws. You could carry a Claymore or Katana down Main Street (though I bet the cops would still want to 'chat' with you).

My point is that local ordinances vary greatly, and it's not just So Cal that suffers from this.

All that said, I think if you're on the up-and-up, the worst that would happen is they confiscate your knife. More likely they won't even care, unless they think you're up to no good.

wewd

imported post

If a cop confiscates your knife without writing you a citation and receipt of seizure, pursue charges against them for theft, and possibly civil rights violations. Police cannot summarily seize your property. If you are breaking a law then you must be cited for it, and be allowed to defend yourself against the charge. Do not let a cop simply walk off with your property. If challenged, they will most likely deny that it ever happened, and who are you to argue against a cop's word?

No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

wewd wrote:
If a cop confiscates your knife without writing you a citation and receipt of seizure, pursue charges against them for theft, and possibly civil rights violations. Police cannot summarily seize your property. If you are breaking a law then you must be cited for it, and be allowed to defend yourself against the charge. Do not let a cop simply walk off with your property. If challenged, they will most likely deny that it ever happened, and who are you to argue against a cop's word?

No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.
+1

My parents' house was raided a couple years ago because my younger brother (who still lives at home) was believed to be storing some stolen property for a friend (he claims he didn't know it was stolen property). Anyhow, they found the stolen property they were supposedly looking for, plus a bunch of other stuff they 'just wanted to check serial numbers on'.

The officers refused to show a warrant, saying they didn't have to. After several hours of searching, they took 5 duffel bags worth of stuff, plus a TV, and then said, "sorry, but we'll have to bring you a receipt tomorrow... there's just too much stuff to document right now."

They never brought the receipt. Most of their lawfully owned property was not returned. They consulted attorneys, who said it wasn't worth pursuing.

It's disgusting how much corruption there is in the LE industry. It's frightening how blatant they are about it. It's disheartening when there's nothing you can do about it.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
[SNIP] officers refused to show a warrant, saying they didn't have to. After several hours of searching, they took 5 duffel bags worth of stuff, plus a TV, and then said, "sorry, but we'll have to bring you a receipt tomorrow... there's just too much stuff to document right now."

They never brought the receipt. Most of their lawfully owned property was not returned. They consulted attorneys, who said it wasn't worth pursuing.

It's disgusting how much corruption there is in the LE industry. It's frightening how blatant they are about it. It's disheartening when there's nothing you can do about it.

WOW!

What ever happened to attorneys that did work every once in a while because it was the right thing to do?

Did your parents file a complaint with the department and the D.A.?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
What ever happened to attorneys that did work every once in a while because it was the right thing to do?

I think they are a dying breed, much like the peace officer who respects the rights of his fellow man.

Did your parents file a complaint with the department and the D.A.?
They did not, for fear of retaliation. Even if they got a copy of the warrant, they had no receipt for the property that was seized, so they would be hard pressed to prove that 10+ officers conspired and then committed the thefts.

(I'm not doubting the warrant exists, I'm just not sure what items they were entitled to search/seize.)