• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Frantic Ga. 911 caller: `My whole family is dead!'

buster81

imported post

Perhaps an armed inhabitant of this trailer park mighthave saved some lives.

Can we expect a new postulate? It's bad strategy to defend yourself from someone beating your entire family to death.

When will the brady bunch be issuing a press statement about thistragedy demanding action?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090831/ap_on_re_us/us_mobile_home_slayings

Frantic Ga. 911 caller: `My whole family is dead!'

BRUNSWICK, Ga. – A frantic caller told authorities he had just come home to find several relatives apparently beaten to death and another barely breathing, according to a 911 tape released Monday from the weekend attack at a mobile home park in southeastern Georgia.

"My whole family is dead!" screamed Guy Heinze Jr., 22. "It looks like they've been beaten to death. I don't know what to do, man."

When authorities arrived Saturday morning, they found seven people dead and two clinging to life. One of the survivors died Sunday, raising the death toll to eight.

Police have refused to say how they were killed or why and have said they don't know if the attacker is still in the area. Police have not identified a suspect and are offering a $25,000 reward for information.

"We still believe there is a person or persons responsible for this somewhere out there, and we're looking for them," Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering said Monday.

Heinze, who spoke with the 911 operator from a neighbor's house, was later arrested on drug and other charges, including lying to police.

Asked if Heinze was involved in the slayings, Doering said Sunday: "I'm not going to rule him out, but I'm not going to characterize him as a suspect."

On the 911 call, Heinze said his father, uncle and cousins were among the dead. After handing off the phone to an employee at the mobile home park, Heinze apparently returns to the trailer and is overheard on the call screaming that his cousin Michael, who had Down syndrome, was still breathing and that his face was "smashed in."

"Michael's alive, tell them to hurry!" Heinze said, in the background. "He's breathing! He needs help!"

Police on Sunday said one person rescued at the scene, 19-year-old Michael Toler, had died at a Savannah hospital. The only survivor, whose name and age has not been released, remains in critical condition.

Police have said the attacker was not among the dead or the last survivor. They also said they have no evidence to suggest suicide was involved.

Neighbor Margaret Orlinski, who called 911 after Heinze came screaming to her home, told a 911 operator that a baby also lived in the mobile home where the victims were found.

"I know there's a little baby," Orlinski says on the recording. "Shoot, there's a little babe. I don't know if the baby was in there or not."

Heinze doesn't mention a baby on the 911 recording. Police have declined to give ages of the victims, but Doering has said there were "no infants" among them.

Police have urged residents to be aware and cautious, and the uncertainty has created fear among some in the town.

Resident Toni Mugavin said she wonders if she needs to sleep with a gun under her pillow, afraid the killer is still on the loose. Mugavin expressed frustration with the lack of information about what happened.

"There's no manhunt, no suspect," said Mugavin, 50. "There's nothing specific they're telling us."

Earlier, Doering said it was the worst murder case he had ever encountered in his 25 years with the county that includes Brunswick, a city of about 16,000 people between Savannah and Jacksonville, Fla., along Georgia's southeastern coast.
The slayings happened in a mobile home park on the grounds of a historic plantation, nestled among centuries-old, moss-draped oak trees. The park consists of about 100 spaces and is near the center of New Hope Plantation, according to the plantation's Web site.

The 1,100-acre tract is all that remains of a Crown grant made in 1763 to Henry Laurens, who later succeeded John Hancock as president of the Continental Congress in 1777.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation was conducting the autopsies. GBI spokesman John Bankhead said Glynn County police would be in charge of releasing any results, and Doering refused to comment on them.

Doering defended his vague statements about the case, saying he didn't want the public to know details that might compromise what he called a "tedious" investigation.

Still, the dearth of information has frustrated residents, said Mary Strickland, who owns The Georgia Pig, a popular local barbecue place.
"We got a lot of people who panic and the more information you put out there, the better you make them feel," Strickland said
___
Associated Press Writer Dionne Walker in Atlanta contributed to this report.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Wow... I can't help but wonder how many assailants there were? There had to have been more than one, unless he/she acted very carefully and prevented the victims from fighting back.

TechnoWeenie wrote:
One of the survivors died Sunday,

Umm... then he's not a survivor.
Heh... I assume they mean a survivor of the initial attack.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Since Heinze was arrested on drug charges, it's posible that this was carried out by multiple assailants, maybe a drug hit or retaliation.

Guess we won't know what happened for sure until the LEA have suspects in custody and charged.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
SNIP Guess we won't know what happened for sure until the LEA have suspects in custody and charged.
Huh?

If the law enforcement agency investigating this case does what another agency did in Florida about 25-30 years ago, their not going to give up any information about evidence or suspects they have in this case until they are ready to go to trial with it.

You may remember the case in Florida in which 5 University of Florida students were brutally murdered in the own appartments in 3 separate incidents. The Alachua County Sheriff's Office handled the investigations of the murders. They were extremely tight lipped about the crime scenes and the evidence they had gathered. They told the press that they were not going to discuss what they had because they wanted to make sure that once they were certain that they had the right suspect in custody, tried and convicted, that the conviction wouldn't be overturned due to pre-trial publicity.

The details of the murders never came out, due to the suspect they were about to try, confessed the day his trial was to begin. Because of the gruesomness of the murders, all the evidence was kept locked up, although it could be viewed at the Sheriff's office by appointment only and none of it could be copied or photographed. The confessed killer got the death sentence for each victem, which was not appealed.

So, I'm thinking that maybe this LEA is working with the same stratagy to catch the killer(s) in this case and don't want to risk a conviction(s) being overturned on appealin liu of pre-trial publicity. If that's the cae, then the details will come out during the trial.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
SNIP Guess we won't know what happened for sure until the LEA have suspects in custody and charged.
Huh?
If the law enforcement agency investigating...
I was referring more to the assumption that a seized,charged citizen, andLE representations equates to knowing for sure what happened.

Innocent until proven guilty.

The Innocence Project's stats (241 post-convictin exonerations on DNA) have convinced me that even a jury conviction is not a guarantee that LE's facts are reliable.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/know/

However, the information you posted was good to know. Thank you.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Huh?
If the law enforcement agency investigating...
I was referring more to the assumption that a seized,charged citizen, andLE representations equates to knowing for sure what happened.

The Innocence Project's stats (241 post-convictin exonerations on DNA) have convinced me that even a jury conviction is not a guarantee that LE's facts are reliable.

I agree.

There's still one victem left alive at this time. Hopefullyhe/she can shed light on what happened and who did it. But again, I believe the prudent thing for the investigating agency and the prosecuters to do is to keep quiet in regards to the evidence. That way, pre-trial publicity can't taint the jury poole before one is selected.

somethmes I think that the press should be made to keep silent with what ever they find about a case on their own. I hate seeing anyone being tried by the media, especially before a jury has even been picked.

PT111

imported post

The theme that I see running through the cases taken up by them is that almost always they only point out the possibility of some other person being guilty rather than finding that the convicted person was innocent. IN most of the cases they ignore the majority of other evidence presented and focus on DNA possibilities. Many of them they totally ignore the eyewitness testimony of the rape victim and focus on the face that the DNA could have been from someone other than the accused. I applaud their efforts but I feel that those efforts have led to the release of many guilty parties. Just as with the OJ case he was released because of one tiny piece of evidence while ignoring a truck load of other facts.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Just as with the OJ case he was released because of one tiny piece of evidence while ignoring a truck load of other facts.
I'm assuming that you are referring to the murder trial of Simpson. The jury wasn't privy to all the "evidence" like the general public was. There was allot of stuff presented by the media during the trial that jurors didn't hear, as I believe they were sequestered. I don't know if all of it was factual or not. The whole Simpson case became a friggin' circus.