• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School zones

xpingjockey

imported post

I just need some confirmation on this, I am rather disappointed to find that pretty much everywhere I would OC in my neighborhood (Aurora - Sable & Mississippi) is considered a school zone due to the 2 schools in the area and their 1000' exclusion zone.

I'm guessing this would cover the shopping center on Miss. and Chambers...

CJ30-06

imported post

I'm still researching this, as I've heard that the 1000' rule was repealed, however the guys on here say it wasn't. I have not yet found the right site that actually tells you what has been repealed, and what is current. By the way you guys, all the websites I've been referred to are current as of like a year ago! we need to find a current listing of this law. For you xpingjockey, it's title 18 section 921 and 922 of the C.R.S.'s

xpingjockey

imported post

I think whatever Colorado's statute is, it's likely superceded by Federal law.

I'm thinking about writing the APS superintendent for permission to carry on APS. Not that I INTEND to carry on APS, but within the 1000' GFSZ.

mahkagari

imported post

TMK, the Federal school zone is still in effect. HR3021 to repeal itwas just introduced in June of '09 and referred to subcomittee.

Yooper

imported post

The Gun Free School Zones act that was passed (federal) in 1990 was deemed unconstitutional. So they rewrote the law and passed it in '96 (or '95). As of now, the new law hasn't been challenged in front of the Supreme Court.

To the best of my knowledge, Colorado doesn't have a law similar, but does have one that states you can't carry on school grounds.

The federal law lists exemptions to the ban, such has having permission from your state to carry a handgun (either a CCW permit, or a handgun registration from those states that have it) qualify. Other exemptions are if you carry on PRIVATE property.

One other note about the federal law is that it states: " It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm....."
Code:
So, the prosecutor must prove that you knew the school zone was there.

Since the shopping center is private property, OC would be allowed their by federal law. Whether the mall has their own ban is a seperate issue.

CJ30-06

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
TMK, the Federal school zone is still in effect. HR3021 to repeal itwas just introduced in June of '09 and referred to subcomittee.
Thankyou!

CJ30-06

imported post

Ian wrote:
Just get your CHP and it doesn't apply to you.
you know, honestly, this is really starting to tick me off! I cannot get one, I'm 19, and even when I'm 21, I won't really be worried about it, people need to get used to seeing guns again, not only thinking that you have to have a permit to have one. The government is not my keeper, and a concealed carry permit is unconstitutional, period. I wish people would actually read the U.S. Constitution, then maybe they wouldn't be so ignorant and complacant.

opencarrybilly

imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
Ian wrote:
you know, honestly, this is really starting to tick me off! I cannot get one, I'm 19, and even when I'm 21, I won't really be worried about it, people need to get used to seeing guns again, not only thinking that you have to have a permit to have one. The government is not my keeper, and a concealed carry permit is unconstitutional, period. I wish people would actually read the U.S. Constitution, then maybe they wouldn't be so ignorant and complacant.
+1

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
Ian wrote:
Sure, I don't agree with the permit system either, but I live in the real world. As you continue to worry about whether or not you're committing a felony, I won't have to worry about it.

Turnaround in El Paso county is actually really fast. I just moved here and got my CHP back in less than a month! It took almost 4 months for my Florida one a few years ago.

opencarrybilly

imported post

Ian wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
Ian wrote:
Sure, I don't agree with the permit system either, but I live in the real world. As you continue to worry about whether or not you're committing a felony, I won't have to worry about it.

Turnaround in El Paso county is actually really fast. I just moved here and got my CHP back in less than a month! It took almost 4 months for my Florida one a few years ago.
Concessions in the name of "going along to get along" in the "real world" make this old man sick. Maybe I just haven't got over the sixties. Ya gotta stand up - sit on the buss - resist authority - civil disobedience!!! Sorry. Got carried away. But, when you're sitting as close to the exit as I am, you come to realize the importance - the crucial importance - of resisting the erosion of the rights of The People.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
Ian wrote:
A concealed carry permit is not "unconstitutional" as per the Colorado Constitution. Actually it's perfectly constitutional because the CO Constitution specifically doesn't protect a "right" for a person to conceal a weapon. As discussed countless times, 2A was never meant to apply to the states and currently does not. Certainly you can make an argument that we have a right to defend ourselves under Natural Law, a right that no government can take away, and that carrying a concealed weapon fits into that right.

CJ30-06

imported post

centsi wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
Ian wrote:
A concealed carry permit is not "unconstitutional" as per the Colorado Constitution. Actually it's perfectly constitutional because the CO Constitution specifically doesn't protect a "right" for a person to conceal a weapon. As discussed countless times, 2A was never meant to apply to the states and currently does not. Certainly you can make an argument that we have a right to defend ourselves under Natural Law, a right that no government can take away, and that carrying a concealed weapon fits into that right.
yes, you are correct about the colorado constitution, however, I mentioned the U.S. constitution. A "permit" IS the government infringing on my right to keep and bear arms, again, I don't (and shouldn't) need permission from my government of all things to have the ability to defend myself, THAT permission I get from my God!

opencarrybilly

imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
A "permit" IS the government infringing on my right to keep and bear arms,

You are absolutely Correct!! And,this is a good example of theEncartadefinition of Infringe: To encroach on a person's rights, especially in a minor or gradual way. (Paraphrased). Syn. weaken

I am glad that such clear thinking people as youare arriving to replace some of us old timers who are of like mind as you.

Resist always the chipping away of the Rights of The People. And, press on for the restoration of those rights already eroded.

albritton77

imported post

xpingjockey wrote:
I just need some confirmation on this, I am rather disappointed to find that pretty much everywhere I would OC in my neighborhood (Aurora - Sable & Mississippi) is considered a school zone due to the 2 schools in the area and their 1000' exclusion zone.

I'm guessing this would cover the shopping center on Miss. and Chambers...
To my understanding, as long as you have a concealed permit, you can open carry within the 1000 ft. rule. I do it quite often in Cañon City, and have yet to even be questioned by a LEO.

No-carry is still in effect on the real property of schools.
A great starting reference for Colorado open carry can be found here:
http://www.rmgo.org/faq/#OpenCarry

Anubis

imported post

18 USC § 922prohibits knowingly possessing a firearmknown to be involved in interstate commercewithin a "school zone". 18 USC § 921 provides the definition of "school zone" including the 1000-foot rule. As far as I can tell, this is current law.

I am unaware of any handgun factories in Colorado, so it looks like you are out of luck regarding school zones, xpingjockey, until you can get a Colorado CC permit.

CJ30-06

imported post

Anubis wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
...title 18 section 921 and 922 of the C.R.S.'s
Sections 921 and 922 are parts of the federal code (cited in the previous message), not CRS.
Sorry, a minor slip of the tongue, (or fingers, lol) at least you knew what I was talking about. and yes, I meant the US code, I don't know why I typed CRS.

Rusty_Shackleford

imported post

I now live in Utah, but was born and raised in the Grand Jct./Fruita area. I like to come in here (CO Forum) because we still have family there and need to keep current on the laws there for when I visit.

Something to think about.....In Utah, With a CCW permitwe can carry in public schools, concealed or OC (I personally would not OC during school hours)

If I still had children in school, the first question I would ask my kid's teacher during Parent Teacher Conf.......Do you have a CFP (and carry at school)so you will be able to protect my child if they are in danger during a school shooting?I don't want my child being a target.

Many of our teachers and principalscarry concealed.

Hopefully this is a deterrent to the bad guys....enough that we never have a shooting in a Utah School, but if there is, at least Utah kids will not bekilled one by one while the "police are outside" waiting for the shooter to run out of targets (kids), ammo or commits suicide.As has been the case at V-Tech,The Amish School..etc..Columbine HS and Platte Canyon HS in Bailey CO.

Larry M.

St. George, UT