• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California Sheriffs and candidates plan to issue more concealed handgun permits!

JSK333

imported post

CA does not have a RKBA clause in its Constitution, does it? If not, then you already do not have the "right" to OC, except for the federal right.

You may as well take all the legislative progress you can, until you amend your Constitution to guarantee the right to carry.

mjones

imported post

Responses are inline below...

SlackwareRobert wrote:
So if you get a non-resident CC permit it is ok to OC loaded?
(i) , (ii) both seem to say as long as it can be concealed, you can
carry open and loaded. Could this be putting a target on #200,001
trying to move into the neighborhood?
IF you somehow managed to get issued a CCW as a non-resident, then yes, that license would exempt you from the restrictions for the Loaded condition of a firearm (PC 12031)
But I am shocked that with all the anti-ca I read you can get permits
for folding stock, and sawed off shotguns.:shock:
MostNFA relatedpermits require the signoff of a Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) and as I understand it are generally not issued. FYI, there is no restriction on folding stocks except for 'assault weapons' for which if you are careful there are glaring holes in the law that make most of our restrictions in CA moot. For detailed info on either issues I would highly recommendhttp://Calguns.Net for more info...
The only problem I see with the "change of heart", is last year I recall
a new sheriff blanket revoking every ones permits. So it is still only good
as the nearest trash bin. A nice breath of possible fresh air, but I
think you also need to fix revocation problem also.
Yes, this is a huge potential problem with CAs 'may issue' system. I believe you are referring to the change in the Orange County Sheriff. As I understand it, there were very few revocations, although she made it clear that many would simply 'not be renewed' Once we finally get 'shall issue' in place we're all set on that front. I think the people fighting this in the courts expect a positive result within the next couple years at most.
Just curious on what the time frame to get the permit is?
Does it expire before you even receive it?
Huge variance depending on the issueing authority for processing time, it can vary from 1 day to well over a year. The 58(#?) County Sheriff's and all Chiefs of Police have issuing authority. The duration for a CA resident is typically 2 years. Cross-Jurisdiction issuance (which would include a theoretical non-Resident) are 90 days.
As much as I would like to take my son to see those giant trees,
it is not as important to me as having him reach his 21st birthday.
I was so disgusted by what they have done to carlsbad caverns in
the last 25 years, I shutter to think about how bad yellowstone, and
grand canyon are now. The government is destroying everything
they get their hands on.
Come and visit, UOC/LOC as appropriate :celebrate

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

If California would change the law and charge people a few hundred bucks forpermits they could make hundreds of millions of dollars.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
If California would change the law and charge people a few hundred bucks forpermits they could make hundreds of millions of dollars.
I thought sheriffs already charged exorbitant taxes on the right to bear arms in the few hundred dollar range... maybe the state is reticent to add their own taxes, lest the Laffer curve not be in tyranny's favor (less revenue because people opt-out completely).

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
And then cancel them the next month and resell them - billions!
Budget problem solved.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

This is all fine and dandy for people in El Dorado and Amador County, yet the main crime lies in Sacramento County. What say you Sheriff McGinness? I enjoyed hearing his thoughts on increased CCW issuance when the budget cuts came rolling in yet I seriously doubt he would ever follow through.

To all of you who dont live in Kalifornia.... El Dorado and Amador County is not the typical suburb of America, more like country towns, especially Placerville. I used to live in El Dorado County for 15 years. House in Tahoe and Cameron Park. Nothing but land and the occasional neighborhood filled with gun lovers, not like Sacramento where the only time anyone living here has seen a gun is in the movies.

Now if thisstory weretrue for Sacramento County which where I now reside, I would be jumping for joy. Though since it is not, I am not surprised the least bit that over in El Dorado and Amador hick town that Officials are calling for more CCW. Big deal, some rednecks want more guns, I could have called this one. Call me when Sac does something.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
This is all fine and dandy for people in El Dorado and Amador County, yet the main crime lies in Sacramento County. What say you Sheriff McGinness? I enjoyed hearing his thoughts on increased CCW issuance when the budget cuts came rolling in yet I seriously doubt he would ever follow through.
Since he didn't moot the CCW case against him by going shall issue and dropping all the BS, that tells us he will NEVER do anything but ensure victims are disarmed.

sumyungguy

imported post

I still want my rights as provided for under the Second Amendment restored. Fully. As in All the way.

pullnshoot25

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
ixtow wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Not to stir the hornets nest, but what does this have to do with open carry?
These decisions might be a result of the fact that people are OCing in CA.

Actually, there are those who believe that UOC in California has instigated additional legislative action to inhibit the practice. Most notably, the expansion of the gun free school zone form 1000 feet to 1500 feet is being attributed to my actions as well as others like me.

This is more probably a reaction to the budget crisis eliminating patrols and releasing convicts.

Mostly politics...fund the Sheriff's office or he/she will start issuing CCW's. But this is based on the additional fact that they are considering releasing so many prisoners. Additionally there is somewhat of a ground swell in support of issuing CCW's, and of course these guys (at least in my county) are coming up for re-election next year.

As much as I would like to give credit to the UOC movement, I doubt its having any realimpact on the CCW policies in this state.
Been discussed and it is not related.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Mike wrote:
More stories on California sheriffs promising to liberally issue concealed handgun permits:

http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2148151.html

SNIP

Candidate Craig Therkildsen, a captain with the department, said he would streamline the process and accept self-protection as sufficient cause.

"El Dorado County is a very safe place to live, but no street is 100 percent safe," he said.

Ernest Hillman, who served as undersheriff with the department before retiring, said he would eliminate the requirement to provide three letters of reference attesting to the applicant's good character. Such letters are of little value, he said, unless you investigate the letter writer's background.

Asked to define good cause, John D'Agostini, an investigator with the Amador County District Attorney's Office and a former Amador County sheriff's deputy said, "Self-protection, simple as that."

Larry Hennick, who served 32 years with the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department, replied, "U.S. citizen." His policy, Hennick said, would be "apply and receive."

Bob Luca, retired chief of the California Bureau of Investigation, said the attorney general's opinion should be interpreted as guidelines, not law. But while he favors a "shall issue" policy, Luca said, California is not a "shall issue" state, and the sheriff must abide by state law.

George Nielsen, Placerville police chief, said his policy would be to help concealed weapons applicants articulate good cause. One, he said, is the danger posed by the potential early release of some state prison inmates.

Perez said he would clarify what constitutes good cause.

"You won't have to define good cause," he told potential applicants. "I will have already done that for you."

http://www.sacbee.com/news/story/2133266.html?storylink=lingospot_related_articles

And see San Bernadino permit issuance soaring 730%: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/forums/posts.aspx?postID=18270&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Wow. Today I just realized a good friend of mine from middle school has a dad who is Sheriff Mcginnes.

Crazy.

demnogis

imported post

More CCW issuance is good! Although this could result in shall-issue and no-OC, like Texas.

Also, no policy changes or declarations from the most voracious infringers, like San Bernardino County, Orange County, Los Angeles County, San Diego County, or the Bay Area. These are the counties whence the most anti opinions are stemmed.

chewy352

imported post

Well in San Diego if we get gore out all the other candidates have said "self defense is good cause" My vote is going to LaSuer. He is very OC friendly.

M

McX

imported post

sounds like the politicians are pandering. we'll see when the smoke clears who all got theirs.

coolusername2007

imported post

demnogis wrote:
More CCW issuance is good! Although this could result in shall-issue and no-OC, like Texas.

Also, no policy changes or declarations from the most voracious infringers, like San Bernardino County, Orange County, Los Angeles County, San Diego County, or the Bay Area. These are the counties whence the most anti opinions are stemmed.
I'd like to add Riverside county to the list.