• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For anyone afraid to OC due to financial reasons

olypendrew

imported post

This thread

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=27539&forum_id=55&highlight=afraid

made me realize that there are probably many people who do not OC because they fear being charged criminally, and not having the financial resources to fight the prosecution in court.

I want this fear to go away.

If anyone here is charged with a crime for merely open carrying, and does not qualify for a public defender, I will strongly consider defending them for no attorney fees, so long as my costs--gas, ferries, hotel if needed, etc--are covered.

Now, to cover my own butt...

This is something Iwill generally bewilling to do to advance the cause of freedom. However, no one should rely upon my statements, or otherwise treat them as a binding promise. I reserve the right to turn down any and all potential pro bono cases for any reason, or for no reason at all, just like I can with paying clients. I only say this so no one can sue me ifI do not provide them with free legal services. I also may decide to discontinue this service at any time, with or without prior notice.

This does not mean that I intend to sue any city, police department, etc. for a civil rights violation for free. This does not mean that I will defend for free anyone who actually shot someone, or otherwise used their self-defense firearm, or did anything more than peaceably carry a holstered sidearm in a legal location.

Sorry for all the disclaimers.

Bottom line, don't not OC for fear of being bankrupted by having to fight a criminal charge.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

That's great and am glad you are offering your services. This community needs someone like that. Do you have cards, that in case of arrest instead of talking to the police folks can just hand over?

Oliferous

Lynnwood and Capitol Hill, Washington, USA
imported post

Wow, that's a very generous and incredible thing to do! It's folks like you that made me recently buy my first handgun and want to exercise my rights! Thank you very much for this:cool: Keep up the good work!
-Oli
Also PM'd for some cards.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

olypendrew wrote:
Bottom line, don't not OC for fear of being bankrupted by having to fight a criminal charge.

I wish we had an attorney here in California that was so inclined to defend OC. Thepro-gun attorneys here are of the concensus that OC isnt helpful, and it seems their interest in defending it is directly proportionate to the amount of cash you intend to invest in your defense.

We have been fortunate that of the handful of arrests that I am aware of, only one is being pursued by a zealous city attorney.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
olypendrew wrote:

I wish we had an attorney here in California that was so inclined to defend OC. Thepro-gun attorneys here are of the concensus that OC isnt helpful, and it seems their interest in defending it is directly proportionate to the amount of cash you intend to invest in your defense.
What's the minimum they would accept? $1 million? $10 million? What figure would it take to defend and also file 1983 actions all the way to SCOTUS against these victim disarming bastards?

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

olypendrew wrote:
This thread

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=27539&forum_id=55&highlight=afraid

made me realize that there are probably many people who do not OC because they fear being charged criminally, and not having the financial resources to fight the prosecution in court.

I want this fear to go away.

If anyone here is charged with a crime for merely open carrying, and does not qualify for a public defender, I will strongly consider defending them for no attorney fees, so long as my costs--gas, ferries, hotel if needed, etc--are covered. 

Now, to cover my own butt...

This is something I will generally be willing to do to advance the cause of freedom.  However, no one should rely upon my statements, or otherwise treat them as a binding promise.  I reserve the right to turn down any and all potential pro bono cases for any reason, or for no reason at all, just like I can with paying clients.  I only say this so no one can sue me if I do not provide them with free legal services.  I also may decide to discontinue this service at any time, with or without prior notice.

This does not mean that I intend to sue any city, police department, etc. for a civil rights violation for free.  This does not mean that I will defend for free anyone who actually shot someone, or otherwise used their self-defense firearm, or did anything more than peaceably carry a holstered sidearm in a legal location.

Sorry for all the disclaimers.

Oly,
Very intuitive thinking. Very generous offer.

Cheers,
Bill

olypendrew

In the event that anyone was relying on my pledge--to strongly consider taking any case where an OCer was charged with unlawful display of a weapon on a pro bono basis--please be advised that I am revoking it.

I will still consider taking such cases on a pro bono or reduced fee basis, but only if I am convinced that the person charged is both libertarian-minded, and respectful of me and my profession.

Vitaeus

Thank you for the offer, sorry to see you have to change the offer, I am guessing due to disrespect for you and or your profession. The folks here are definitely a bit outspoken on their opinions, I do wish they were a bit better about respecting the poster and agreeing to disagree with the stated opinion

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
In the event that anyone was relying on my pledge--to strongly consider taking any case where an OCer was charged with unlawful display of a weapon on a pro bono basis--please be advised that I am revoking it.

I will still consider taking such cases on a pro bono or reduced fee basis, but only if I am convinced that the person charged is both libertarian-minded, and respectful of me and my profession.

I really do not see how the offered changed, I would not think someone offering such a service for someone that neither respected them or was not on the side of law and not promoting the cause.

heresolong

I really do not see how the offered changed, I would not think someone offering such a service for someone that neither respected them or was not on the side of law and not promoting the cause.

I agree with Dave. It seems more like you realized the extent of what you were offering and that it was a bit too open ended. I will definitely have you in speed dial just to have "my lawyer" on the phone while they are harassing me, if it ever happens. I will also be able to pay, should it come to that.

cougfan

Thats really great that you would offer your time and expertise to someone in the situation a lot of us fear most. A lot of us that open carry are passionate about our 2nd and 4th amendment rights that all too often get trampled. Luckily I think you will find a lot of around here are libertarian minded (yep I voted for Bob Barr) and respect attorneys for helping to protect our rights.

Tawnos

I agree with Dave. It seems more like you realized the extent of what you were offering and that it was a bit too open ended. I will definitely have you in speed dial just to have "my lawyer" on the phone while they are harassing me, if it ever happens. I will also be able to pay, should it come to that.

I think "libertarian minded" excludes a number of people, including BigDave. But that's just my interpretation.