• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Right to film police

essayons

imported post

Not really OC related, but I've been looking into the legality of filming police, the legality of police ordering a photographer or filmographer to cease filming, and when the police can seize cameras or film.

What I've found so far has been largely on blogs and in newspaper articles, with very little unbiased facts or cite's. It seems that it varies quite a bit from state to state as well, so I was wondering what VA statutes apply.

Hopefully some of you legal eagles out there can help me out.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

AWESOME find, Ed. I'd love to have one of those.

I've HEARD that you can record public officials on audio and video if they are in a public place and acting in their official capacity as long as you are not "impeding" the performance of their job.

BUT... I don't know if that is true... Just what I HEARD. I'd also like to hear from a legal type.

I do KNOW that in Virginia, you can record a conversation as long as ONE party knows it is being recorded. In Maryland you cannot.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This does relate to OC. We have had situations where OC supporters have tried to film police during arrests only to have LEO's force the photographers to stop. Chet Szymecki's wife at Town Point Park, and Dan's friend at Waterside Mall come to mind.

It seems to me that no LEO has any right to privacy while transacting any business in a public venue. He or she might want to stop a record of such transaction, but I can see no justification for it. For that matter, if a dozen of us had been surrounding Chet or Dan in the above events, could the LEO possibly have ordered all of us to put our cell phones away while the LEO was breaking the law? I don't think so. It would have been impossible as well as illegal for such officer to order us to do so.

Tomahawk

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

I've HEARD that you can record public officials on audio and video if they are in a public place and acting in their official capacity as long as you are not "impeding" the performance of their job.

BUT... I don't know if that is true... Just what I HEARD. I'd also like to hear from a legal type.

I do KNOW that in Virginia, you can record a conversation as long as ONE party knows it is being recorded. In Maryland you cannot.
I believe you are correct, but we need a citation of some sort here. There's gotta be case law on this.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

I believe you are correct, but we need a citation of some sort here. There's gotta be case law on this.

When it comes to police demands, I would start with "what law makes it illegal?"

If there is no law against it, it is not prohibited.

Then dig from there. Maybe for federal civil rights violation law. I know one circuit or district in PA has some on this. Two PA troopers had to pay. But I don't know about VA. Except maybe internal citations in Mrs. Syzmecki's dismissed suit.

paramedic70002

imported post

Recording is legal in VA as long as one party (you) is present and aware.

LEOs will tell you some Homeland Security federal law makes it illegal. Whatever. Bet they can't quote it or give you a copy.

TFred

imported post

ed wrote:
Very interesting product, and the prices at that site are very reasonable.

Does the indicator light face forward or backward though? I would hope it's on the opposite side from the clip, facing back toward your shirt and not out toward the persons/events you are recording.

I guess a tiny little piece of black tape would do the job though.

TFred

AbNo

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Case law, nothing. Book law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-62

2. It shall not be a criminal offense under this chapter for a person to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication, where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.
So yes, any of you here may film my interactions with LEOs, so long as it keeps in spirit of this website's purpose. :D

That is me giving permission. ;)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
Does the indicator light face forward or backward though?
In another it looked like it faced the side... Yellow in standby.. and BLAZING BRIGHT BLUE (ugh) in record. But like you said.. black tape (or fingernail polish or a sharpie) might diminish it good enough.

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
Anyone have one of these?
Edit: I should read the whole thread before asking questions I guess, since someone already did ask the same thing :^).

What's the deal with the blue light when it's on??? Cop; "Uh, why is your pen glowing?" I do hope you can turn it on without any lights......

TexasNative

imported post

So Ed, when is your shipment due to arrive? I know you must have ordered at least one at that price.

~ Boyd

IanB

imported post

Seems that as long as you are not "identifying a police officer with intent to harass" then you should be fine. See:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/09/AR2009080902126.html

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-186.4

Do stand up for your rights if challenged by police. Remember, police have NO DUTY to tell the truth unless under oath. I cannot tell you the number of times I've seen an officer tell someone to do (or stop doing) something or they would be arrested. Look at the free speech arrest threat from Reston last week for an example.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=108307

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
...Does the indicator light face forward or backward though? I would hope it's on the opposite side from the clip, facing back toward your shirt and not out toward the persons/events you are recording...
The video clearly says "Light on back and not visible while in your shirt pocket".

alnitak

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Seems that as long as you are not "identifying a police officer with intent to harass" then you should be fine. See:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/09/AR2009080902126.html

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-186.4

Do stand up for your rights if challenged by police. Remember, police have NO DUTY to tell the truth unless under oath. I cannot tell you the number of times I've seen an officer tell someone to do (or stop doing) something or they would be arrested. Look at the free speech arrest threat from Reston last week for an example.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=108307

For those of you who are as upset as I am over the blatant violation of Constitutional rights as shown in that video, you can file a complaint.

Officer Cheeks is a sworn police officer with the Fairfax County (VA) School District Police. If you would like to file a complaint against Officer Cheeks, go here:

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/contact/MailForm.aspx?agId=2066

Complaints should be addressed to:

Major James A. Morris
Fairfax County Police Department
(703) 246-2918

Let Major Morris know that, contrary to what his officer thinks, this is STILL America, the Constitution has not yet been scrapped, the First Amendment still applies, and their oath requires that they respect the right to free speech of all Americans, even when the officer does not like the speech. The First Amendment does not just protect speech the officer on the scene agrees with, and he is not free to implement his own mini-Constitutional suspension zone.

They don't answer... but you can leave a message.

nemo

imported post

ed wrote:
Anyone have one of these?
Ed,

Yup, and I was wearing it at the class we attended, last week or two. I intended to turn it on (don't tell Dave) to see how well it picked up voices, but forgot to do so, when I came in late.