• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental Discharge in Danville

MSC 45ACP

imported post

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

HOW does a gun just "GO OFF" without a deliberate pull of the trigger????

Either it was in very poor condition and in serious need of maintenance...

OR

Someone pulled the trigger.

Modern firearms just don't "go off" as we ALL know. There are too many safety bars, trigger bars, safety blocks and whatever else you want to call them.

WHY did this firearm "go off"???

I would REALLY love to hear the details about this one... Perhaps our elderly retired LEO UNINTENTIONALLY pulled the trigger somehow, but we'll probably NEVER know the truth.

Someone will whitewash this with all the dexterity of one of Slick Willie's many Teflon Adventures.

:what:

Xeni

imported post

Since I assume he wasn't OC at the time and CC - I'm just trying to figure out how something could've gotten wedged into that trigger to cause the discharge?

Just doesn't make sense..

Y'all also know if it wasn't a retired LEO and one of us common folks we'd be in the pokey.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Xeni wrote:
Since I assume he wasn't OC at the time and CC - I'm just trying to figure out how something could've gotten wedged into that trigger to cause the discharge?

Just doesn't make sense..

Y'all also know if it wasn't a retired LEO and one of us common folks we'd be in the pokey.

Most definitely!

The thing is... I thought I remember reading that retired LEO's that CC are supposed to requal annually to show PROFICIENCY.

Maybe that is just for the FREE PASS thing they get. I'm not sure of the exact law, but it was passed within the last few years.

Neplusultra

imported post

I wonder if this was a case of his shirt getting caught up with the gun in the holster. I normally unholster (safety on) when using the toilet. I have to be extra careful not to get my loose shirt caught in the holster when I reholster. It happens often. I'm aware of this and always check to make sure it isn't before switching the safety back off. I figure the fabric could catch the trigger and accidentally fire the gun if I reached up or something like that caused my shirt to pull up.

Might be what happened here since he says he was just standing up when it went off. Can't figure out how else it might happen since it was holstered supposedly.....

Neplusultra

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
A different article says it was "tucked in his waistband".

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=11024659

I can't believe he'd be carrying a weapon without a holster! That would be rather negligent IMO. Even so if the gun wasn't in his hand what made it go off? All I know is I keep mine in a holster and make sure nothing is in the holster, like a shirt tail, when holstering.

flightmedic

imported post

Retired LEOs have to demonstrate proficiency annually if carrying pursuant to the LEOSA 18 USC 926C. They do not have to demonstrate proficiency if they are carrying as a retired law enforcement officer in Virginia pursuant to Code of Virginia 18.2-308. Of course anyone, retired LEO or not, should maintain proficiency regardless of the law.

buster81

imported post

kenny wrote:

I read the comments from this article, and the following one gave me a such a big chuckle, I read it twice.

Criminals are people too.

Just because someone is trying to kill you does NOT give you the right to defend yourself. What makes your life more valuable than their life? It is far better that many people die at the hands of an "alleged" criminal than a single person be allowed the opportunity of self-defense.

LG says that a restaurant is no place for a gun. And I agree sort of. No place is no place for a gun, unless carried by a police officer or a criminal. Police and criminals both need guns to do their jobs. Being a victim does not require you to carry a gun. Thousands of people all over this country are victims who never carry a gun anywhere, much less into a restaurant.

If you defend yourself, you might end up killing or injuring the person trying to kill you. But if you're not dead, then they didn't kill you, so they didn't really commit a crime now did they? So you've just shot (maybe killed) someone who didn't really do anything wrong. Just to save yourself. How does that make you feel now Mr. Gotta-Kill-A-Criminal-Today?

But even if no shots were fired, and this poor kid just got scared and ran away, that could be very traumatic for him/her, and what would happen next. This person whom you think (without a court opinion to guide you by the way) was trying to kill you might go somewhere else and kill someone else who (being a better person than you) doesn't carry a gun. So once again by saving yourself, you are killing someone else, when it wasn't even their time to die. That is terribly selfish. It is dispicable[sic] and immoral.

A criminal has the opportunity to change to turn their life around. You're denying them that chance just to save yourself.

You aren't going to change. You're just a gun toting savage. You just keep carrying that gun, protecting yourself, your spouse, and your "precious" children. Teach the ones you love to "protect" themselves. Go ahead. Do it. What are you waiting for? Permission? Pathetic.

-J. Swift

by JSwift on 9-1-09 @ 4:13 AM ET

Fenris

imported post

Caught me.

Got tired of trying to use rational logic on anti's. Decided to amuse myself. Took the username J Swift as an homage to the the great satirist. If you haven't read "A Modest Proposal" you should.

What is surprising as insane as I sound in those posts, they really aren't that different from what the Brady group puts out. Heck maybe I could get a job with them as a columnist.
;)

bom1911

imported post

Fenris wrote:
Caught me.

Got tired of trying to use rational logic on anti's. Decided to amuse myself. Took the username J Swift as an homage to the the great satirist. If you haven't read "A Modest Proposal" you should.

What is surprising as insane as I sound in those posts, they really aren't that different from what the Brady group puts out. Heck maybe I could get a job with them as a columnist.
;)
That is a funny post.I had a pretty good laugh...after I figured out it was a joke.

Sheriff

imported post

Needless to say, many of you are going to disagree with me on this thought....

but I'm not sure a 73 year old man has any business carrying a firearm. :shock:

This story is evidence to support my belief.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Sheriff wrote:

but I'm not sure a 73 year old man with Parkinson's, or other physiological or neurological deficits which would prevent him from safely operating any deadly weapon, including a vehicle has any business carrying a firearm. :shock:

Fixed.

lax

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
but I'm not sure a 73 year old man has any business carrying a firearm.  :shock:

It would be interesting to hear what your 73 year old self would have to say on the matter.

I've seen dumber things happen to younger guys. The video of the cop in the school shooting himself comes to mind.

Fenris

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

but I'm not sure a 73 year old man has any business carrying a firearm.  :shock:

J. Swift agrees with you. A 73 year old man has no business defending himself. He's so close to the end anyway it really isn't worth the risk or the cost. Probably doesn't need medical care either. Eventually he's going to die anyway. What's a few years more or less. It is important to realize that an entire class of people should be judged by a single mistake by one member of that group.

Also people with glasses shouldn't carry. What if they drop their glasses.

And people hard of hearing. They won't be able to hear the bad guy surrendering. Or they'll think some one said "Give me your money." When they really said "Whats your name, honey." Note that ALL of you probably have some hearing loss from range trips.

And short people. They might not be able to see over obstructions.

And tall people. They can't see short people.

And bald people. Bald people are more subject to sun stroke which can impair judgement.

And the long haired. It gets in their eyes.

And people without extensive training. They will just do it wrong.

And people with extensive training. They are obviously blood thirsty.

And women. They can't drive so they probably can't shoot either.

And men. They have too much testosterone.

No one should carry.

It's just TOO dangerous.

So says J. Swift

kenny

imported post

I've been and unconfirmed that the WM in the video walking with the cane if the gun owner. If so that may help us to better understand and would help prove Sheriff's point.