Thread: VA Tuck w/ Black Shirt

Post imported post

When doing the Virginia Tuck with a black gun and a black shirt would this count as OC or CC? I think it is discrete but not concealed.

I have been doing this for a while, but wanted to get a few other opinions.

Thanks.

Post imported post

How would someone bring up the issue of whether or not it's legal for you to have it like that.... if they couldn't see it in the first place?

It's OC.

Post imported post

MY daughter asked me if its legal for her to wear black pants & black blouse when she OC's. I told her of course it is. It isn't her fault if someone isn't observant enough to notice her black pistol in a black holster at night...

Sometimes I will intentionally wear darker colors so my pistol will be less noticeable. That isn't illegal. Sometimes its just prudent.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    MY daughter asked me if its legal for her to wear black pants & black blouse when she OC's. I told her of course it is. It isn't her fault if someone isn't observant enough to notice her black pistol in a black holster at night...

Sometimes I will intentionally wear darker colors so my pistol will be less noticeable. That isn't illegal. Sometimes its just prudent.
    Just cuts down on the :what: and :shock: from the sheeple. :quirky
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Good guys wear black too.

Then again, I tend to wear hi-viz guns and grips - generates more conversation don't you know. The object being to educate.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grape? Do you happen to have a set of Day-Glo Green grips to go on my USP 45? I'd also like a matching Day-Glo Yello slide to go with it. That would be pretty cool looking, I think.

I do agree with you. Ours is to educate, not hide or deceive.

I actually think my daughter's Glock would look pretty neat with bright "furniture". I think they make it for Glocks, too.

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Grape? Do you happen to have a set of Day-Glo Green grips to go on my USP 45? I'd also like a matching Day-Glo Yello slide to go with it. That would be pretty cool looking, I think.

I actually think my daughter's Glock would look pretty neat with bright "furniture". I think they make it for Glocks, too.

Mike
    http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_bloomberg.html

:P

Post imported post

When i do get to carry I normally put a black shirt on. However, my slide is silver so its still pretty easy to see.

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:

Mike

Those look like candy!!

Bet you'ld get questioned as to whether your gun was real or not.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:

Dura-Kote should do it. See Curtis's link above.

Gotta see the finished product - post pictures.

Yata hey

Post imported post

I OC'ed around the Fairfax fair(?) at the Gov't cntr earlier this yr while wearing all black to include holster and Gun without issue.
    Oh yea, I did have a large orange GSL button on.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Kind of off topic; but, not really...I have a question I'm hoping I can get an answer for.

As the weather has already started changing, and especially when I'm riding my bike, I, as well as many others I'm sure will be wearing jackets. If IOC and myColt Combat Commander slips under the bottom of my jacket, effectively concealing it, (a real concern while riding because of the wind) does that make me illegal?

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    illegal?
    You mightwant toget a CHP.

[line]
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

Resident Concealed Handgun Permits

Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permits are issued by the circuit court of the county or city in which the applicant resides. Please contact the applicable court for specific instruction on the application process.

Virginia Code Section 18.2-308 - Prohibits the carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or any weapon of like kind by any person hidden from common observance about his person. Any of the enumerated weapons shall be seized and forfeited to the Commonwealth. A weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

Based on the statute and decisions rendered by the Supreme Court, a weapon is considered to be concealed at any time it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation. Placing a weapon under the seat, on the seat hidden from common observation, or at any location from which the weapon can readily be retrieved is considered to be concealed. A person carrying a weapon in the unlocked glove compartment of an automobile, if the person does not have a permit or otherwise fall within any statutory exemption, is a violation of ยง 18.2-308(A), unless some particular fact or circumstance renders the weapon inaccessible
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Bet you'ld get questioned as to whether your gun was real or not.
    Heck, I've been asked that several times about my black Sig.

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    illegal?

[line]
    +1. VA Code makes no differentiation between CCW and an accidental covering of the gun. Concealed carry is just that, and if you don't have a CHP (with exceptions) then you can get nabbed with a charge.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    illegal?

[line]
    +1. VA Code makes no differentiation between CCW and an accidental covering of the gun. Concealed carry is just that, and if you don't have a CHP (with exceptions) then you can get nabbed with a charge.
    That's pretty much what I figured. I've tested to see how I can make sure it doesn't become concealed...I can slide my leather coat down between me and the grip and it stays pretty securely...but, That was just a short ride on the bike to test it...who knows, after a couple of hours of having the wind blowing my jacket all over the place. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was dealing with until I do get my CHP...wanna keep the title "law abiding citizen" intact!

Post imported post

If you can, just tuck the jacket behind the holster.

It's what I do in Winter.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    If you can, just tuck the jacket behind the holster.

It's what I do in Winter.
    That's what I do with my motorcycle jacket.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Since I still have this winter to go through while lacking a CHP I got a free duty holster from an arfcom member he didn't need anymore (I picked up the shipping costs at least ) so it will be a little easier to NOT conceal with my coat on as it rides lower and not as close in...while offering good retention.

But I've gotten by pretty easily just tucking my coat behind the holster I've been using already.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    SNIP Then again, I tend to wear hi-viz guns and grips - generates more conversation don't you know. The object being to educate.
    Whew, thanks for clearingthat up.We knew by now not to expect tasteful fashion statements. But, we weren't toosure otherwise.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    SNIP Then again, I tend to wear hi-viz guns and grips - generates more conversation don't you know. The object being to educate.
    Whew, thanks for clearingthat up.We knew by now not to expect tasteful fashion statements. But, we weren't toosure otherwise.

Et tu Brute.

Understand your not being too sure but keep working on it. It'll all come together for you one day.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Then again, I tend to wear hi-viz guns and grips - generates more conversation don't you know. ย* The object being to educate.
    For me the object is to carry while eating a meal a step or two up the food chain from McDonalds while remaining discrete.

I support open carry. And occaisionally do it myself. But sense I often have the kids with me, I'm generally content to let the rest of you take point on this one.

Post imported post

Fenris wrote:
    I often have the kids with me, I'm generally content to let the rest of you take point on this one.
    Having the kids with you will go along way to getting everyday people to except OC.
    They get to see you're a family guy that just carries a gun.

I have gone into places that traditional forbid non Leo's from being armed but they ignore me probably because of Mini Me & String bean.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Fenris wrote:
    I often have the kids with me, I'm generally content to let the rest of you take point on this one.
    Having the kids with you will go along way to getting everyday people to except OC.
    They get to see you're a family guy that just carries a gun.

I have gone into places that traditional forbid non Leo's from being armed but they ignore me probably because of Mini Me & String bean.
    Kids are golden - they promote good "feelings" from the sheeple where we are concerned.

I have watched expressions go from to :shock: and then back to when I carry my grandson in a restaurant. Generates some good conversations too.

Yata hey

Post imported post

My concern has always been that a negative reaction would spoil things for the boys. My oldest tends to take things to heart.