• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Village of Lawrence Ordinences gun friendly!

autosurgeon

imported post

Well as Chairman of the Village of Lawrence Planning Commission I am happy to report that our Final Draft of the re-codified ordinances makes exactly one mention of firearms.

Under Offenses it states "Reserved to the state" and that is how it should be!

There are absolutely NO ordinances relating to firearms in the Village now! State Law is all you need to know in our little town!

Note there used to be a discharge ordinance and carry ordinance but both were struck down last year prior to finalizing the new code of ordinance, We felt it would make it less of an issue when folks saw that all firearms ordinances had been removed from the final draft if we already had NO firearms ordinances on the books.

Also of the two only one was enforceable and it was pretty weak and had never been used so we felt it could go.

NOTE you could still be arrested for reckless discharge under state law if you were killing varmints or doing something else dumb (distance from nearest house.. hunting and all that)... so it is not a big enforcement loss and it clears the stream so to speak.... leaving only state law to worry about!

Final note K&D Arms opens on the 5th :celebrate we finally will have a gunshop and gunsmith in the downtown!

Stop in and check it out! Oh I havn't had a chance to discuss OC with the owners but will at the first oportunity!

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

New Ordinance proposal for you.

Make it mandatory that every household own a gun.

Just like Kennesaw Georgia.
[size=+1]
[size=+1]"In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.[/size]
[size=+1][/size]
[size=+1]The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."[/size]
Here's the code:
ARTICLE I. IN GENERAL

Sec. 34-1. Heads of households to maintain firearms.

(a)In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefor.

(b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

(Code 1986, § 4-3-10)
Sec. 34-2. Use of firearms.

No person shall fire a gun, pistol or other firearm in the city, except in the defense of person or property, and except peace officers or military forces of this state or the United States, in the discharge of official duties.

(Code 1986, § 11-1-4)

Secs. 34-3--34-25. Reserved.
[/size]

hopnpop

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Final note K&D Arms opens on the 5th :celebrate we finally will have a gunshop and gunsmith in the downtown!

Stop in and check it out! Oh I havn't had a chance to discuss OC with the owners but will at the first oportunity!
"Downtown"? I grew up there, remember, and know darn well that the town isn't big enough for an "uptown" and "downtown". There's only..."town"! :lol: Awesome, tho, I'll swing thru there on the 5th and check it out. Let's keep these folks in business!! The town could use it! - Nate

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

dougwg wrote:

[size=+1]
[size=+1]"In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.[/size]
[size=+1][/size]
[size=+1]The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."[/size]
Here's the code:
ARTICLE I. IN GENERAL

(a)In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefor.

(b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

(Code 1986, § 4-3-10)

No person shall fire a gun, pistol or other firearm in the city, except in the defense of person or property, and except peace officers or military forces of this state or the United States, in the discharge of official duties.

(Code 1986, § 11-1-4)

[/size]

WOW!Now if they (Georgia) would let you actually drive on their freeways I might consider moving there!

autosurgeon

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
dougwg wrote:

[size="+1"]
[size="+1"]"In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.[/size]
[size="+1"][/size]
[size="+1"]The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."[/size]
Here's the code:
ARTICLE I. IN GENERAL

(Code 1986, § 4-3-10)

(Code 1986, § 11-1-4)

[/size]

WOW!Now if they (Georgia) would let you actually drive on their freeways I might consider moving there!
I know I should have said at the main 4