• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9.41.050 Vehicle Carry

kwiebe

imported post

Does 9.41.050 really prohibit loaded carry by CPL holder in a vehicle unless the pistol is "on the licensee's person"? (while the licensee is not away from the vehicle)

So, in other words, if I'm a CPL holder traveling or otherwise in a vehicle with my loaded pistol, the pistol cannot be merely concealed in the vehicle, it must be "on my person"?

That appears to be the way the law is worded, but I must be having a brain fart or something. You can have the pistol under the seat, in the glove box, etc. can't you?

1245A Defender

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
Does 9.41.050 really prohibit loaded carry by CPL holder in a vehicle unless the pistol is "on the licensee's person"? (while the licensee is not away from the vehicle)

So, in other words, if I'm a CPL holder traveling or otherwise in a vehicle with my loaded pistol, the pistol cannot be merely concealed in the vehicle, it must be "on my person"?

That appears to be the way the law is worded, but I must be having a brain fart or something. You can have the pistol under the seat, in the glove box, etc. can't you?

with a CPL on your person,your loaded gun can be anywhere, on you, under you, glove box, etc. never leave your loaded gunin the car if you get out of the car!

take it with you or unload it, thencover it from view and lock the car up!

kwiebe

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
kwiebe wrote:

with a CPL on your person,your loaded gun can be anywhere, on you, under you, glove box, etc. never leave your loaded gunin the car if you get out of the car!

take it with you or unload it, thencover it from view and lock the car up!
The law isn't talking about the CPL being on your person, it says the pistol must be on your person. I could be wrong, but to me, in the glove box is not "on your person".

I couldn't find a definition, btw.

EOD

imported post

This is such a horrible misconception.

Many people fail to see the "or" between the items listed in this RCW.

It does NOT have to be on your person. Basically all that section is saying is it can be on your person or in your vehicle. However, if it is in your vehicle you cannot leave it in there alone with another person who is not licensed. And if your out of your vehicle and leaving it, it must be secured and out of sight.

1245A Defender

imported post

the phrasing in 9.41.050 (2) says you gotta have a CPL to put a loaded gun in a car.

then the pistol gotta be on you, (or) your in the car while the pistol is in the car.

then if you get out of the car the pistolgotta behidden from view and the car locked!

i misspoke earlier, the pistol hidden and locked in the car does not need to be unloaded, but that would only be ok if nobody else was in the car.

kwiebe

imported post

EOD wrote:

It does NOT have to be on your person. Basically all that section is saying is it can be on your person or in your vehicle. However, if it is in your vehicle you cannot leave it in there alone with another person who is not licensed. And if your out of your vehicle and leaving it, it must be secured and out of sight.
I found a May 09 thread on this that eluded me at first:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/26103-1.html

I don't think it's as simple as recognizing there is an "or" in the law (because there is also an "and" - right between the parts that state you must have a CPL and the pistol must be on your person). I don't think an "or" further downstream can wipe out the "and" between those two passages. Poorly constructed? Probably.

my opinion

1245A Defender

imported post

ive read that thread before! these guys can parse all the ors, ands, commas, quotes till they are red in the face. they can legalize a cpl holder carrying 3 guns out to the car, then driving to pick up 3 gang bangers to do a driveby shooting!

you just want to be legal as you go about your buzinness!

yougatta have a cpl to put your loaded gun in a car

you nedd to be in control of the gun all the time the gun is in the car

when you get outa the car take the gun with you or cover the gun and lock the carwith no one else in the car.

YOU are in legal control of the gun. nobody else is in control of the gun!

EOD

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
EOD wrote:

I found a May 09 thread on this that eluded me at first:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/26103-1.html

I don't think it's as simple as recognizing there is an "or" in the law (because there is also an "and" - right between the parts that state you must have a CPL and the pistol must be on your person). I don't think an "or" further downstream can wipe out the "and" between those two passages. Poorly constructed? Probably.

my opinion
An "or" in between a series of statements implies that all are "or". this wording is used throughout the rcw's and that is the meaning it is given.

All I know is that I would never even think of hooking someone up for it not being on their person.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

The relevant part of 9.41.050 that reads:

"(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person,
(ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or
(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle."

Now lets break it down:

The "opening" parts says you can't "carry" (ie have it on you) or "place" (ie put it in) a vehicle unless you have a CPL. This is the "primary" requirement.

It then says in ADDITION to that requirement (use of the word "and") ONE of the following things must also be true:

It is on you,
You are in the vehicle, or
You are away from the vehicle and it is locked and out of sight.

The "or" at the end of ii is what tells us only one of these 3 items needs to be in play. In a comma separated list, an "or" or an "and" before the last item is applied to all items in that list.

"This, this, or this" means one of the things
"This, this, and this" means all of the things.

Even if you toss the meaning of the grammatical structure, and look at it logically only one CAN be in play.

If you have your gun physically on you (i), how can the the gun be in the car if you are not? If you are not in the car, then iii would apply. So clearly ii must be what allows off body carry while in the car (or other vehicle) since ii can ONLY happen in the absence of i and iii.

i is VERY clear about being on your "person" if absolute physical possession was a requirement there would be no need for ii.

kwiebe

imported post

911Boss wrote:
The relevant part of 9.41.050 that reads:

"(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person,
(ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or
(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle."

Now lets break it down:

The "opening" parts says you can't "carry" (ie have it on you) or "place" (ie put it in) a vehicle unless you have a CPL. This is the "primary" requirement.

It then says in ADDITION to that requirement (use of the word "and") ONE of the following things must also be true:

It is on you,
You are in the vehicle, or
You are away from the vehicle and it is locked and out of sight.

The "or" at the end of ii is what tells us only one of these 3 items needs to be in play. In a comma separated list, an "or" or an "and" before the last item is applied to all items in that list.

"This, this, or this" means one of the things
"This, this, and this" means all of the things.

Even if you toss the meaning of the grammatical structure, and look at it logically only one CAN be in play.

If you have your gun physically on you (i), how can the the gun be in the car if you are not? If you are not in the car, then iii would apply. So clearly ii must be what allows off body carry while in the car (or other vehicle) since ii can ONLY happen in the absence of i and iii.

i is VERY clear about being on your "person" if absolute physical possession was a requirement there would be no need for ii.

Thanks. That was the best explanation I read from either thread. I think what was throwing me is I was not grouping the i, ii, iii items together properly. Very good job explaining.