• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why not have a CC permit also?

How do you carry?

• I don't carry, but I plan to OC only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

I thought it was federal no carry in schools?

Federal law 18 USC Section 922 ?

But to provide a helpful answer - the wait period can be long, and my state wants you to be fingerprinted, which is a violation of my privacy IMO. I can OC chambered and loaded, in car or out.

Honestly the only reason I might get a CC permit is for rain, to cover it. But I'm from Vegas - we don't have rain often.

ps. someone PM me if I'm wrong about the federal no carry near schools.

Scott

We-the-People

imported post

Lostlittlerobot wrote:
I thought it was federal no carry in schools?

Federal law 18 USC Section 922 ?

ps. someone PM me if I'm wrong about the federal no carry near schools.

Scott

You are correct that 18 USC 922 prohibits weapons in schools. HOWEVER, as with almost any regulation by the state or federal government, there are exceptions. The parts thatwe are intersted in are:

18 USC 922 (q) (2)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to

possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects

interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual

knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a

firearm -

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do

so by the State in which the school zone is located or a

political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or

political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains

such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or

political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified.

So if you have license to carry a firearm, issued inthe state in which the school is located, and you had a background check to verify you were qualified for for that license, you're good to go.

NOTE 1: Multi state reciprocity could become an issue if the school is in a state which recognizes your license but isn't the state that issued it.

NOTE 2: I AM NOT A LAWYERDO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND CONSULT AN ATTORNEY IF YOU HAVE ANYQUESTIONS.

wewd

imported post

I open carry and will not apply for a CCW. I have no interest in asking permission and paying a tax to exercise a right. If I am in a state that recognizes the right to conceal carry (currently only Vermont and Alaska), then I will do so if I feel the need. Open carry suits me just fine. I am not ashamed to carry a gun and feel no need to hide it from anyone. It is my right to do so and I make no apologies for it.

We-the-People

imported post

Considering that gun control laws have been around in this land from before it was an independent country.....Maryland passed the first gun control law in 1715...... I think we're doing pretty well as compared to the other rights we've lost and how massive the governmnet intrusion into everyday life has gotten.

Concealed carry though wasconsidered cowardly,sneaky, and sometimes even criminalin the"wild west" ---which apparently wasn't so wild as Hollywood would have us believe. Then came the mid 20th century gun laws and later the "gun grabbers". Only in the last couple of decades has there been a large push for legalized carry and the concealed option.

I agree that we shouldn't have to pay a tax/"fee", or get permission to exercise a right but I'll pay the money and get the permissionfor the ability to carry concealed when I chose without risking my freedom to Unconstitutional laws thatstill put people in jail. That doesn't mean I won'tfight for the correct and only way to read the second amendment and that's without trying to interpret it or "apply it to modern conditions".

Dreamer

imported post

I have a CHP, and most of the time I OC. North Carolina allows OC (most places, with a few exceptions). When I first got my permit I mostly CC'd, but these days, I pretty much OC whenever I carry, unless its impractical due to clothing demands (long overcoat, or dressed up in a suit or sports coat)

I've spoken with most of my local LEOs regarding OC (Police and Sheriff's Deputies) and gotten responses ranging from "I have no problem with it" to "If someone complains, I have to investigate, and I'll probably tell you to just cover it", to "OC is not legal, and will be treated as GATTTOTP whenever encountered." (That last one was from a rookie Deputy, who, with his shaved head, abnormally muscular neck, ice-blue eyes, and 'roid-rage power trip attitude, came across as more qualified to be wearing a white sheet than a badge...) It's easier to CC sometimes, like in the winter when I wear a big coat, or when I'm dressed up and wearing a suit. But normally, I OC, and I haven't had any problems so far.

I don't really care about the fingerprinting and background check. I'm adopted, and I have held TS-level clearances in the past, so there are ALREADY big fat files in WV, VA, and DC on me, with fingerprints, Polygraphs, photographs, and who knows what else...

I am a grad student, and am working a "placeholder job" while I go to school. I'm a "night auditor" in a hotel, which means I work from midnight to 8am. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've seen. We've had a kid (and I mean WAY under 18) discharging a .40 in the parking lot for "fun". We've had an attempted suicide in our parking lot (yes there WAS a woman AND liquor involved). We've had armed robberies, assaults, and a forceable armed gang-rape. In the restaurant/bar attached to the lobby, we've had all-out bar brawls were the DJ ended up with a fractured cheekbone, and several of the staff were sent to the Emergency Room. And about 1.5 hours away, another of our hotel chain was held up at gunpoint in the middle of the day by two armed youths, who shot (and luckily only grazed) both the staffers even though they emptied the cash drawer for them. My wife (who is a true-blue liberal Democrat, and about as pro-gun-control as they come) actually suggested to me that I get my CHP and carry at work. The owners permit me to do this, so I do, but only CC while on the clock. Some of our more trustworthy repeat customers (mostly construction contractors) know that I carry, and think it's a great idea.

Why do I carry? Because I want to go home in the morning in the same condition in which I started my shift, and because I love my family and want to be there for them for many years to come.

Why do I carry? Because early in the morning (around 7am), on January 25, 1993, I took a shortcut home from work that took me down Chain Bridge Rd through Langley VA in my black Saab 900T. Shortly after I got home, my phone rang, and it was my supervisor calling, telling me to turn on the news. When I did, I saw a picture of what looked like my car (and several other cars), sitting at the light on Chain Bridge, with bullet holes in them. I've wondered almost every day of my life since then if the outcome of that morning might have been different if I'd been an hour later, and had my Colt Delta Elite with me. I carry because I realize that life is precious, unpredictable, and ultimately, success comes down to timing and preparedness.

Why do I carry? Because I have 24-year-old identical twin step-daughters, and I want them to know that I love them as much as I love their mother, and will be prepared to protect them like they were my own flesh and blood if need be.

Why do I carry? Because I work in a "dicey" part of town, and I REFUSE to be a victim or a statistic.

Why do I carry? Because the US Constitution and the NC State Constitution both state very clearly that I MUST, as an active Citizen of the Republic.

Why do I carry? Because My wife lost her dear brother when he was 17 to a senseless random murder, and I don't think she could go through that sort of loss twice and keep her sanity. (My father-in-law also has a CHP, for many of the same reasons...)

Why do I carry? Because I am the only person who is legally responsible for my own safety--not my employer, or the police, or my Legislators.

Why do I carry? Because, legally I can, because as a Citizen I must, and because morally I will it.

joshuaeberly

imported post

I OC with a CPL in MI, because my CPL exempts me from the OC free zones, and my CPL no carry zones ONLY apply to CC, it also enables me to transport without locking unloaded in trunk, exempts me from purchase permit requirements and nics checks, and all in all makes my life easier, I do think we should eliminate all Carry free zones, and eliminate all forms of permit systems, but in the meantime, I do what I've got to do.

simmonsjoe

imported post

The problem in some states is that YOU GET PUT ON VARIOUS LISTS!

In VA your put in the CRIME CHECK DATABASE.
It violates your 4th amendment rights.
It also violates right to due process.

In some states using a CHP actually removes certain rights due to
'responsibilities' for the privilage to carry concealed.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I avoided getting a permit for quite some time on various principled grounds. I finally went ahead and got one for convenience and to minimize the risk of costly legal issues. Here in Utah, having a permit to carry (issued from anywhere in the nation) is almost ideal.

I can OC or CC, fully loaded or not, as I see fit. Casually concealed in an OC appropriate retention holster is one of my preferred methods for day-to-day carry, especially anytime the northern Utah weather calls for a jacket. I am free to CC a BUG when OCing.

I can carry into school zones and even schools themselves. There are no restrictions on carrying into any establishment that serves alcohol, it is only illegal to be intoxicated and in possession of a gun. Our permits are reasonably priced, are shall issue, exempt me from the fee normally charged for the Brady check when buying a gun from a dealer, are recognized in 30+ other States, AND are private records not subject to media or other release.

I understand and respect those who view carry permits as unconstitutional. I do as well. But so too are gun free school zones, limits on carrying a gun concealed or in your car without a permit and so on and so forth. Simply put, our right to carry firearms is infringed in a host of ways. Needing a permit to carry concealed is no more or less of an infringement than not being allowed to carry within 1000' of a school (unless you have a permit).

There are political and educational benefits to OCing. But the primary reason I carry is for defense of myself and family. Having a permit offers me a lot more options and opportunity to do that without risking violation of statutes that--however unconstitutional they may be--will be enforced against me. We've all spent a pretty penny on firearms and other equipment to defend ourselves and our families. Spending less than $100 to get a permit and dramatically reduce the odds of facing criminal prosecution for having a gun in the times and places I may need it is pretty cheap insurance for me.

Plus, the permit is official State photo id for those times when two forms of such ID are needed.

How we carry is far less important than that we do carry. Having a permit allows me to carry virtually everywhere I go as I continue to work to eliminate this unconstitutional infringement of my rights just as I've helped eliminate several others over the last few years.

Charles

simmonsjoe

imported post

Yes. Let me clarify I do have a CHP even though I disagree with the system in VA.

Unfortunately it doesn't lift any of the GFZ bans.

It should be a great year for the General Assembly this year though.
I would bet money the ABC ON restriction in the least will be repealed.
Possibly others. There is even a bill to stop the public universities from
putting anti-gun rules in their charters (wouldn't bet on that one though
I'll hope with all my might)

Stophel

imported post

I haven't gotten around to getting my concealed permit, but will eventually. Mostly, I just want it to be able to drive to other states without problems of having a loaded gun in my car or on my person.

The permit is really easy to get here in KY.

TiP

imported post

With all due respect to the other fine posters in this thread, I too OC without a CHL right now, due to some 'dicey' personal circumstances detailed in my thread in the Oregon subforum (go ahead and give it a read, offer me your advice, etc. I'll update it after my hearing on Jan. 19th), but I too would love to get a CHL of my own, to exempt myself from the onerous "loaded carry bans" enacted by several of the Metro-area cities here in Oregon, one of which I have the unfortunate distinction of living in. Hopefully, once my current debacle resolves itself (and I have a nice long sitdown talk with Sheriff Rob Gordon), I'll be able to go through the application process (again) and this time emerge victorious.

Edited to add link, since the thread dropped off the top page: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/31203.html

Custodian

imported post

I live in liberal country -- Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill and because I live in this area, I frequently run into places that simply have insane gun regulations.

I almost suggest having a NCCHP in this area because there are a TON of confusing regulations concerning firearms and I tend to have some smaller firearms when I just don't feel like being bothered.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a CPL as I CC'd in Washington for the last 10 plus years. I found ocdo about 6 months ago and primarily OC now. However, I will continue my CPL for the following reasons:

* I am exempt from the Federal Gun Free School Zone law

* In WA you need a CPL to carry loaded in an automobile

* No waiting period for a handgun purchase

* The weather here is unpredictable and sometimes a jacket needs to be worn.

I am not anti government, although I do believe the CC permit/license theory is unsconstitutional. "...shall not be infringed."

cscitney87

imported post

I'm applying for my CHP. Have the certificate already. My Sheriff only takes applicants Tuesdays and Thursdays. I OC mostly, but hate leaving a store with a full cart of groceries or merchandise when the manager asks me to cover up. I'll be glad I can simply cover up and get on with the shopping.

Home state is Michigan. I travel there yearly. I need the CHP for Michigan.

No permit needed to open carry here in Colorado. My CHP is 152.50 takes up to 90 days. Shall issue.

eye95

imported post

HankT wrote:
hibby76 wrote:
I've been wondering why not have a concealed weapons permit even when you prefer to OC? I realize that
-Permits cost money
-Permits take time to get & renew
-Permits require background checks
-Different age restrictions apply.

So, outside of those four reasons, are there reasons why you choose to OC without holding a CWP?

For the record, I have no problem with those who choose to only OC. It just seems like it would make life simpler and give you more options to OC with a CWP. That way you can cover up if you want to. You can go into schools (at least in my state) and you can keep a round chambered if you want and two extra if it's a revolver.

Again, not an attack, I'm just sincerely curious. Thoughts?

Why not have a CC permit also?

Based on most people's comments here, I think the most predominant reason people who OCdecline to get a CC permit is that they objectphilosophically to the ideathat a government would requirea permit to enjoy a natural and protected right.

Another, much less discussed reason, is that some OCers will eschew a permit becausethey wouldn't be eligible for a CWP and would be rejected for same (age, criminal offense, drug/alcohol misuse, etc.). So, OC is the only way for them to carry.
You might want to take another look at the results. At most, about 5% of the respondents feel that way. Clearly, at least 70% have zero problem with getting a permit--me included.

The theory, and I have no objection to it, is that OC is a right, and CC is a privilege which can be regulated.

I wouldn't create problems where they do not exist.

NightOwl

imported post

HankT wrote:
objectphilosophically to the ideathat a government would requirea permit to enjoy a natural and protected right.
This. It's annoying to have to be sure it doesn't get covered by a jacket or what not, but I disagree with permits for this. As such, here I am, OC only until such time as I make a move to a state like Vermont.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hibby76 wrote:
I've been wondering why not have a concealed weapons permit even when you prefer to OC?
We polled this on the forum about a year and a half ago and at that time the vast majority of us did have a CC permit/license (or lived in VT or AK where they were not available) and the majority that did not have one were too young to obtain one in their state. The membership has grown greatly since then and the polling has probably shifted some but I would bet that overall it is pretty similar.

stormrider

imported post

First post. I've had a CC Permit, once. Alabama state law requires the fee to be a minimum of $1. At the time I purchased my first CC permit, it was $10. That's a 1000% above what's required by the state. The new sherriff came to town and made it $20. 2000% increase over state requirement. Now keep in mind it's the state that requires the permit and who sets the minimum. The sheriff could just charge the min. Oh, btw, the sheriff gets to keep the $$$$ and do whatever he pleases with it. If he wants to go to lunch, buy his buds lunch, buy a new patrol car, go on vacation, at least that's the word I've gotten on it. Haven't had one in years. Always carrying in my vehicle. I guess I should get one, no reason why I would be denied, I guess it's just the principle.

I've had to stuff it is some idiot's face once. Glad he took notice. I'd hated to have to explain the no permit thing. We are required to have one if the gun is in the vehicle, loaded, concealed, laying right under my legs. yada yada.