• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why not have a CC permit also?

How do you carry?

• I don't carry, but I plan to OC only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hibby76

imported post

I've been wondering why not have a concealed weapons permit even when you prefer to OC? I realize that
-Permits cost money
-Permits take time to get & renew
-Permits require background checks
-Different age restrictions apply.

So, outside of those four reasons, are there reasons why you choose to OC without holding a CWP?

For the record, I have no problem with those who choose to only OC. It just seems like it would make life simpler and give you more options to OC with a CWP. That way you can cover up if you want to. You can go into schools (at least in my state) and you can keep a round chambered if you want and two extra if it's a revolver.

Again, not an attack, I'm just sincerely curious. Thoughts?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

hibby76 wrote:
I've been wondering why not have a concealed weapons permit even when you prefer to OC? I realize that
-Permits cost money

So, outside of those four reasons, are there reasons why you choose to OC without holding a CWP?

For the record, I have no problem with those who choose to only OC. It just seems like it would make life simpler and give you more options to OC with a CWP. That way you can cover up if you want to. You can go into schools (at least in my state) and you can keep a round chambered if you want and two extra if it's a revolver.

Why not have a CC permit also?

Based on most people's comments here, I think the most predominant reason people who OCdecline to get a CC permit is that they objectphilosophically to the ideathat a government would requirea permit to enjoy a natural and protected right.

Another, much less discussed reason, is that some OCers will eschew a permit becausethey wouldn't be eligible for a CWP and would be rejected for same (age, criminal offense, drug/alcohol misuse, etc.). So, OC is the only way for them to carry.

RJ

Banned
imported post

Being an Arizonan and having practiced open carry since I was a youngster on horseback, I'm a business man that spends half his time in areas not allowing OC,
I've had a CCW here in the state of Az for a few years, I find it sometimes makes carrying much easier, than spending much of my time trying to educate and pontificate with people on how, why and why don't you.

Here in Arizona, we unfortunately end up with citizens from all over the States, most haven't one iota of whats legal, nor do they care, they only want to make this State much like the one they left behind.
I hear that constantly, " Why back home we...............!!!!"
I have no problem advising them of there ease of return to back home.

As it is, the Southwestern Lifestyle has slowly given way to those that came after, while changes is usually good, here it is eroding our way of life and the rights that we fought for.

We have a couple local sites that has frequent OC dinners and have grown to well over 60 plus people and larger at times, its more of a meet and greet, and wow, sure is fun. All areas allowing OC should give it a try.
Good luck to us all, the square box being pushed up the hill is not easy.
RJ

TFred

imported post

hibby76 wrote:
-Permits cost money

It would be courteous of you to add your state of residence to your profile, so the folks who live in the other 49 states know where you're talking about. The rules you mention are completely foreign to me. :)

On the topic at hand, my perception is that most people do get a permit, unless they are ineligible to do so. In Virginia, this is typically those who are between 18 and 20 years of age, for which OC is legal, but a CHP is not.

Thanks,

TFred

MatieA

imported post

I got a CWP because last summer while carrying my revolver in Cheyenne it started to rain and I put my duster on. A while later after it had stopped raining I was far enough from the pickup that I chose not to put the duster away, and was stopped by an officer that asked if I had a conceal carry permit, I said no (the light bulb coming on at the same time), and he told me that I really ought'a take the duster off, or tie it back so that my gun was not concealed. I took the duster off immediately and took it to my pickup so that I did not have to worry about running into an officer that was not as friendly. I went down the next day and applied for my CWP.

--fixed typos--

Legba

imported post

Lucky break that - it could have ended badly for you. Better to have it and not need it, I say, like a firearm itself, although I do understand and agree in principle withthe "why do we need permits/licenses to exercise a right" argument as well.

-ljp

shad0wfax

imported post

WA state does not allow OC in a vehicle without a CPL. Since I want to avoid being in a situation where I have to load and unload my firearm every time I get out of or into my vehicle, I have a CPL.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I finallyobtained a CWP due to the monsoons... and for out-of-state carry where OC is denied. I'm much against having to 'purchase' a method of carry via the government contrivance of permit, butdoes makethe purchase of additional firearms much easier. It also eliminates any gray areas I might encounter with some LE'sperception of concealed. (Not that I've encounted any.)

chiefjason

imported post

I have my CCP. My wife prefers CC when we are out. I OC'd until the permit came in. It makes it easier to OC and keep the gun in the holster while in a car. And purchases are easier as well. There are really no areas in NC where a permit lets you CC when you can't OC.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not much choice here in TN. We have to get a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) to carry at all. Maybe some day we can get that changed, but until then, We can carry either CC or OC. Having the HCP helps with carrying into states that may be CC only, too.

Dragonflydf

imported post

I refuse to get a CCW because you are treated like a common criminal in that you have to be fingerprinted, and prove to the Govt you are a good guy. Shouldn't it be the other way around ?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I O-C only with no plans on paying feesand jumping through hoops to get a C-C permit.

First off My state does not have C-C provisions, The only state I travel to on a regualr basis allows me to carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle with no permits needed. And the state I eventually plan on living in does not require a permit for O-C orC-C. I'll keep my money right now, instead of paying government entities to exercise my 2A rights.

hibby76

imported post

Ah, yes. I'm in Utah. Thanks for the reminder. By the poll numbers it does look like the vast majority who OC have a permit. That said, it's a small sample group so far.

Basic Guy

imported post

I don't live in the US now but I get back to my home of record in New Mexico, where my dad lives, a few times a year. So I don't have time to spend a full weekendin a classroomwhich I would need to do to get a carry permit there.

To complicate this, my step-mother equates gun owners with something less than child molesters so carrying in her presence is not viable. She is highly emotional and confrontational on this. We have a rather uneasy truce about the issue.

I OC when I am on the road in NM and AZ - usually SAA's, 1911's, or my HK USP - and it is one of my joys when back in the USA. I revel in the fact that while in NM I can legally have my registered,sound suppressed, select fire MAC-10 loaded in a bag next to me in my car - just because I want to.

But while at home I take the middle ground - I have two Safepackers (one for full size autos, one for smaller autos) which I OC with while in the city where my dad lives. The Safepacker has been declared a holster by the NM SecState but it is innocuous enough to prevent the explosive verbal barrage that my step-mother would unleash if she saw me packing.

PaxMentis

imported post

I wasn't sure how to answer.

I live in a state (Oregon) where OC is legal most places, but cities are allowed to restrict it to CCP holders...and the city nearest me is one that has done so.

I am what one might call a "careless" CCer. I carry SOB and usually have a shirt that covers...but I don't worry about "printing", nor do I hesitate to take off my shirt if weather and/or activity makes that desirable. I also CC a BUG in an ankle holster.

I'm not really an activist type I carry for protection as opposed to making a statement.

We-the-People

imported post

I'm in Oregon.

I've had a CHL since shortly after moving here and carried CC all the time. Recently I began OCing (a couple of weeks now), for the political statement, to desensitize the rest of the folks, and to educate people as well as any LEO's that I end up talking with.

Here in Oregon the law also allows CHL holders to carry openly in a lot of places that people without them can't carry at all. Public buildings, cities with ordinances against carrying loaded firearms, etc. There aren't a lot of cities/counties with ordinances against carrying but there are a few up North around Portland. By state law they can only limit carry of loaded firearms but the CHL exempts the holder from that and allows OC or CC in those places.

So we have a situation where the LEO's see someone carrying openly and want to check if they have a CHL. The law though doesn't let them do that without "reasonable articulable suspicion" that you are or are about to commit a crime. Since a CHL holder can OC loaded, they really can't say "because you're carrying a gun" but apparently a lot of them try that line.

The OC movement up there is strange. They carry OC unloaded without permits and push their legal rights, others carry OC loaded with a CHL and push their legal rights. And they all seem to get hassled by LEO's, transit district security, etc.

Down here in Southern Oregon, I haven't had an LEO approach me yet and I've seen a few that surely saw the firearm. I've only been prevented from entering one business, and only one person has been taken aback when they saw the firearm (that was yesterday) and the first thing he said after seeing it and going 'whoa" was are you a cop? He left before I could give him one of my "you can carry too" tri-fold handouts.

Broondog

imported post

i am of the "lucky few" that can't get a CC permit due to a state law technicality. while most state laws dictate that you can never have been convicted of a felony, Missouri law adds in 'pled guilty or nolo contendre' into its requirements.

such is my case. when i was much younger and little dumber i entered a plea bargain (non-violent crime) to avoid a felony conviction. i did my short time and completed my probation by the numbers and was rewarded with a Suspended Imposition of Sentence. that was 20 years ago, before any CC law was considered of in this state.

if it weren't for the wording of the law, i would be fine. heck, i own tons of guns and Uncle Sam even let me have a C&R FFL, but some backwoods jerkwater congressman in my state had to have that silly phrase included into the requirements.

oh well, such is life. i OC where i can since some of the other current congressmen won't allow for statewide preemption.

:banghead:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Not much choice here in TN. We have to get a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) to carry at all.... We can carry either CC or OC. Having the HCP helps with carrying into states that may be CC only, too.

Conceptually,across all the states, and from public policy perspective this is a good way to set up the regulation ("reasonable" only, per SCOTUS!)of gun carry.

It makes little sense to have separate rules for OCcompared to CC. Differentthreashold ages, anddifferences inexclusions (i.e, certain DV misdemeanors), especially, create all kinds of problems.

Do it like Vermont/Alaska--no specific regs for carry or like TN--specific rules for both OC and CC...

That's the best way, really, for all concerned. I'm sure we will be trending to move in that direction over time. If it's done correctly, I could easily support it. I think the first area that will be made consistent (OD/CC) will be age...