Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: Hunting season

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    Hunting season for doves opens today!!!!!!!!!, and only 11 more days till squirrle and grouse. I can't wait. Is anyone else planing to do any early season hunting?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lost Wages :), Nevada, USA
    Posts
    48

    Post imported post

    Hillmann wrote:
    Hunting season for doves opens today!!!!!!!!!, and only 11 more days till squirrle and grouse. I can't wait. Is anyone else planing to do any early season hunting?
    I'll be leaving Las Vegas, NV this Fri morning at 3am to head to Az for some dove hunting :celebrate

  3. #3
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808

    Post imported post

    Hillmann wrote:
    Hunting season for doves opens today!!!!!!!!!, and only 11 more days till squirrle and grouse. I can't wait. Is anyone else planing to do any early season hunting?
    Unfortunately the anti's passed a dove hunting ban in this state a few years ago.
    But partridge (aka ruffed grouse) season opens on the 15th....and Bow season for deer on Oct. 1

    I'm waiting impatiently to go hunting, what I'm not waiting for is the 5-6 months of snow cover that will soon follow.
    Rand Paul 2016

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    97

    Post imported post

    I'll be bowhunting for deer on 9-12.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Allis, WI, ,
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    Glockface wrote:
    I'll be bowhunting for deer on 9-12.
    Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm just itching to get out into the woods. I wonder what the DNR thinks of my "self defense" weapon in addition to my bow. I guess we'll find out if they decide to tresspass on my property.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but the fool's heart to the left."

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    ISTR privilege for DNR ossifers to trespass on private property in pursuit of their commission.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    ISTR privilege for DNR ossifers to trespass on private property in pursuit of their commission.
    Dont they need RAS or probable cause?

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Allis, WI, ,
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    The 4th Ammendment should apply equally to the department of neverending restrictions as it does to other "law enforcement" officers.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but the fool's heart to the left."

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Dont they need RAS or probable cause?
    No. That's why I wrote "privilege".

    pvtschultz wrote:
    The 4th Ammendment should apply equally to the department of neverending restrictions as it does to other "law enforcement" officers.
    Normative and prescriptive statements, characterized by 'would', 'should' and 'could', do not have truth values, cannot be falsified and are, thus, not 'scientific'. (after Sir Karl Popper)

    I'll look around a bit and see if I can't find something. Y'all need to read The Lakeland Times.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    What does ISTR mean?

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    I Seem To Recall

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    what do you mean when you say truspassing is a privlage for them. Do you mean it is a privlage given to them by the landowner by not kicking them out. Or dou you mean that they get that privlage simpley by being gamewardens.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    If I Recall Correctly - IIRC - there is a provision in Wisc. Statute Law or maybe a NR code granting officers privilege to trespass uninvited. IIRC Wisconsin has presumed effective notice to trespassers of all sorts.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    If I Recall Correctly - IIRC - there is a provision in Wisc. Statute Law or maybe a NR code granting officers privilege to trespass uninvited. IIRC Wisconsin has presumed effective notice to trespassers of all sorts.
    And how do the get away with sidestepping the 4 th amendment? Didn't MN have a simular situation a few years back about searching fish houses without a warrent?

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Write to Richard Moore, late of The Lakeland Times. He might know the details.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Write to Richard Moore, late of The Lakeland Times. He might know the details.
    Thanks, I plan to stop by the library tonight and see if they have his book.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    As per the ousted hunters safety instructor stated;

    "For 14 years, I've been teaching my students the same thing, over and over and over," Palan told The Lakeland Times.

    The first thing he teaches is, he said, when a person is on private property and a warden stops and asks to see a license, the first thing to do is ask the warden for his credentials. The second thing, Palan said, is to boot the warden off the property because he's trespassing.



    Although the DNR does have certain far-reaching jurisdiction, being on private property without permission is not one of them.

    You can read one of R. Moores articles here http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.as...ArticleID=8907

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Allis, WI, ,
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    Some case law regarding this would be nice. I've been searching the WI Bar caselaw files and didn't find anything regarding the matter.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but the fool's heart to the left."

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    pvtschultz wrote:
    Some case law regarding this would be nice. I've been searching the WI Bar caselaw files and didn't find anything regarding the matter.
    You may find what you want by googling "Wisconsin State Statutes" and scanning the resulting PDF files for keywords. I doubt you will find relevant caselaw, but you should find numbered statutes that clearly limits their authority on private property.

    Thefewrelevant documentsI can think of that limit their ability to enter private property would be the 4th amendment to the U.S. constutution, and I am sure others will fit too.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    57

    Post imported post

    The supreme court has an "open field" doctrine which put simply says you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in an open field, hence they can investigate on your land without a warrant. You only have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your person, papers, home, business, and vehicle.
    To put this into real life context say you have a farm, you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the home, barn, garage or any outbuildings, and in the yard around your home, but not in your fields or woods.

    As far as the trespassing I haven't researched that yet, but will get back to you when I do.

    The bigger question for me is these DNR policies taken out of the 2009 Hunters Regulations:

    It is illegal to:
    • possess any firearm from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009 unless
    the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. Exceptions: target
    shooting at established target ranges, target shooting on private lands by landowners
    and immediate family members who live with them, waterfowl hunting during
    open season, hunting game birds on licensed bird hunting preserves, and hunting
    small game in CWD Management Zone units.
    Note: An established target range means an existing location that is set up for
    target shooting with firearms as its major purpose.

    • It is illegal to possess any rimfire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle
    .22 caliber or larger during any gun deer season in shotgun only areas unless it is
    unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

    Notice they don't say "its illegal to hunt with", they say its illegal to POSSESS! So the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions, as well as Supreme Court case law is all suspended from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009??????

    So no OC'ing on November 20th anywhere in the state, and no toting a rifle around unless it's a .22 or smaller in shotgun only areas. If you don't know what shotgun only areas are your fuc*ed I guess.

    Unbelievable!



  21. #21
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808

    Post imported post

    Here's what our hunting guide book says:

    "A person taking or attempting to take game and in possession of a firearm, crossbow, slingshot, or bow and arrow must have the appropriate hunting license with them and the identification used to purchase that license and exhibit both upon demand of a Michigan Conservation Officer, a Tribal Conservation Officer or any other law enforcement officer.

    A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm ant an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker, or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game."


    I wonder if any of the candidates for governor would support a law like Michigans?
    Rand Paul 2016

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    Yooper wrote:
    Here's what our hunting guide book says:

    "A person taking or attempting to take game and in possession of a firearm, crossbow, slingshot, or bow and arrow must have the appropriate hunting license with them and the identification used to purchase that license and exhibit both upon demand of a Michigan Conservation Officer, a Tribal Conservation Officer or any other law enforcement officer.

    A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm ant an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker, or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game."


    I wonder if any of the candidates for governor would support a law like Michigans?
    Are you speaking somehow that MI has less restrictive laws than WI?
    I think the MI lawsare horrible!!!!! I could not imagine the foulness stemming from me needing to ask the local constabulary forpermission to purchase a firearm? WTF is up with that deal?

    As far as I am concerned the police have no right orneed to know if, what type, or how many firearms I may or may not have in my possession. If they feel the need to find out, they can ask, but they would not be getting an answer.

    Now back on topic, Hunting season. The only critters I plan on killing this year are the Coyotes that keep bringing gifts and leaving them on my steps every morning for my dog. The only time I cannot legally shoot those nasty bastards is during rifle deer season. 6:30 A.M. every frigging morning they are at my bedroom window yipping to try and get the dogs attention. She sees them and tries tearing the screen out of the window to tear them apart. I am trying to hold off until we get a few frost's so the pelts are better, but this is getting stupid with their tactics.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    Constitutionalist wrote:
    The supreme court has an "open field" doctrine which put simply says you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in an open field, hence they can investigate on your land without a warrant. You only have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your person, papers, home, business, and vehicle.
    To put this into real life context say you have a farm, you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the home, barn, garage or any outbuildings, and in the yard around your home, but not in your fields or woods.

    As far as the trespassing I haven't researched that yet, but will get back to you when I do.

    The bigger question for me is these DNR policies taken out of the 2009 Hunters Regulations:

    It is illegal to:
    • possess any firearm from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009 unless
    the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. Exceptions: target
    shooting at established target ranges, target shooting on private lands by landowners
    and immediate family members who live with them, waterfowl hunting during
    open season, hunting game birds on licensed bird hunting preserves, and hunting
    small game in CWD Management Zone units.
    Note: An established target range means an existing location that is set up for
    target shooting with firearms as its major purpose.

    • It is illegal to possess any rimfire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle
    .22 caliber or larger during any gun deer season in shotgun only areas unless it is
    unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

    Notice they don't say "its illegal to hunt with", they say its illegal to POSSESS! So the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions, as well as Supreme Court case law is all suspended from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on , 2009??????

    So no OC'ing on November 20th anywhere in the state, and no toting a rifle around unless it's a .22 or smaller in shotgun only areas. If you don't know what shotgun only areas are your fuc*ed I guess.

    Unbelievable!

    I wonder what the actual law says about that, those pamphlets are just guidelines that give you a summary of the law.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    Hillmann wrote:
    Constitutionalist wrote:
    The supreme court has an "open field" doctrine which put simply says you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in an open field, hence they can investigate on your land without a warrant. You only have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your person, papers, home, business, and vehicle.
    To put this into real life context say you have a farm, you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the home, barn, garage or any outbuildings, and in the yard around your home, but not in your fields or woods.

    As far as the trespassing I haven't researched that yet, but will get back to you when I do.

    The bigger question for me is these DNR policies taken out of the 2009 Hunters Regulations:

    It is illegal to:
    • possess any firearm from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009 unless
    the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. Exceptions: target
    shooting at established target ranges, target shooting on private lands by landowners
    and immediate family members who live with them, waterfowl hunting during
    open season, hunting game birds on licensed bird hunting preserves, and hunting
    small game in CWD Management Zone units.
    Note: An established target range means an existing location that is set up for
    target shooting with firearms as its major purpose.

    • It is illegal to possess any rimfire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle
    .22 caliber or larger during any gun deer season in shotgun only areas unless it is
    unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

    Notice they don't say "its illegal to hunt with", they say its illegal to POSSESS! So the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions, as well as Supreme Court case law is all suspended from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on , 2009??????

    So no OC'ing on November 20th anywhere in the state, and no toting a rifle around unless it's a .22 or smaller in shotgun only areas. If you don't know what shotgun only areas are your fuc*ed I guess.

    Unbelievable!

    I wonder what the actual law says about that, those pamphlets are just guidelines that give you a summary of the law.
    unforentuly the law is almost identical to what the pamphlet says.


    NR 10.09(1)(c)3.
    3. `Possession.' Possess any rim-fire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle .22 caliber or larger in areas wherein there is an open season or hunt specified in s. NR 10.01 (3) for hunting deer with shotgun only unless the rifle is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.


    s. NR 10.01 (3) (e), no person may possess a gun wherein there is an open season for deer with guns specified in s. NR 10.01 (3) (e), unless the gun is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. Exceptions:



    NR 10.09(2)(a)
    (a) Target shooting at established ranges.


    NR 10.09(2)(b)
    (b) Hunting on licensed game farms and shooting preserves.


    NR 10.09(2)(c)
    (c) Hunting waterfowl during the open season.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Glendale, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    147

    Post imported post

    Has anyone ever actually kicked a D.N.R. warden off of there property or tried to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •