• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting season

Yooper

imported post

Here's what our hunting guide book says:

"A person taking or attempting to take game and in possession of a firearm, crossbow, slingshot, or bow and arrow must have the appropriate hunting license with them and the identification used to purchase that license and exhibit both upon demand of a Michigan Conservation Officer, a Tribal Conservation Officer or any other law enforcement officer.

A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm ant an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker, or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game."

I wonder if any of the candidates for governor would support a law like Michigans?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Yooper wrote:
Here's what our hunting guide book says:

"A person taking or attempting to take game and in possession of a firearm, crossbow, slingshot, or bow and arrow must have the appropriate hunting license with them and the identification used to purchase that license and exhibit both upon demand of a Michigan Conservation Officer, a Tribal Conservation Officer or any other law enforcement officer.

A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm ant an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker, or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game."

I wonder if any of the candidates for governor would support a law like Michigans?

Are you speaking somehow that MI has less restrictive laws than WI?
I think the MI lawsare horrible!!!!! I could not imagine the foulness stemming from me needing to ask the local constabulary forpermission to purchase a firearm? WTF is up with that deal?

As far as I am concerned the police have no right orneed to know if, what type, or how many firearms I may or may not have in my possession. If they feel the need to find out, they can ask, but they would not be getting an answer.

Now back on topic, Hunting season. The only critters I plan on killing this year are the Coyotes that keep bringing gifts and leaving them on my steps every morning for my dog. The only time I cannot legally shoot those nasty bastards is during rifle deer season. 6:30 A.M. every frigging morning they are at my bedroom window yipping to try and get the dogs attention. She sees them and tries tearing the screen out of the window to tear them apart. I am trying to hold off until we get a few frost's so the pelts are better, but this is getting stupid with their tactics.

Hillmann

imported post

Constitutionalist wrote:
The supreme court has an "open field" doctrine which put simply says you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in an open field, hence they can investigate on your land without a warrant. You only have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your person, papers, home, business, and vehicle.
To put this into real life context say you have a farm, you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the home, barn, garage or any outbuildings, and in the yard around your home, but not in your fields or woods.

As far as the trespassing I haven't researched that yet, but will get back to you when I do.

The bigger question for me is these DNR policies taken out of the 2009 Hunters Regulations:

It is illegal to:
• possess any firearm from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009 unless
the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. Exceptions: target
shooting at established target ranges, target shooting on private lands by landowners
and immediate family members who live with them, waterfowl hunting during
open season, hunting game birds on licensed bird hunting preserves, and hunting
small game in CWD Management Zone units.
Note: An established target range means an existing location that is set up for
target shooting with firearms as its major purpose.

• It is illegal to possess any rimfire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle
.22 caliber or larger during any gun deer season in shotgun only areas unless it is
unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

Notice they don't say "its illegal to hunt with", they say its illegal to POSSESS! So the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions, as well as Supreme Court case law is all suspended from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on , 2009??????

So no OC'ing on November 20th anywhere in the state, and no toting a rifle around unless it's a .22 or smaller in shotgun only areas. If you don't know what shotgun only areas are your fuc*ed I guess.

Unbelievable!:banghead:
I wonder what the actual law says about that, those pamphlets are just guidelines that give you a summary of the law.

Hillmann

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Constitutionalist wrote:
The supreme court has an "open field" doctrine which put simply says you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in an open field, hence they can investigate on your land without a warrant. You only have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your person, papers, home, business, and vehicle.
To put this into real life context say you have a farm, you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the home, barn, garage or any outbuildings, and in the yard around your home, but not in your fields or woods.

As far as the trespassing I haven't researched that yet, but will get back to you when I do.

The bigger question for me is these DNR policies taken out of the 2009 Hunters Regulations:

It is illegal to:
• possess any firearm from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009 unless
shooting at established target ranges, target shooting on private lands by landowners

• It is illegal to possess any rimfire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle
.22 caliber or larger during any gun deer season in shotgun only areas unless it is

Notice they don't say "its illegal to hunt with", they say its illegal to POSSESS! So the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions, as well as Supreme Court case law is all suspended from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on , 2009??????

So no OC'ing on November 20th anywhere in the state, and no toting a rifle around unless it's a .22 or smaller in shotgun only areas. If you don't know what shotgun only areas are your fuc*ed I guess.

Unbelievable!:banghead:
I wonder what the actual law says about that, those pamphlets are just guidelines that give you a summary of the law.
unforentuly the law is almost identical to what the pamphlet says.

NR 10.09(1)(c)3.
3. `Possession.' Possess any rim-fire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle .22 caliber or larger in areas wherein there is an open season or hunt specified in s. NR 10.01 (3) for hunting deer with shotgun only unless the rifle is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

s. NR 10.01 (3) (e), no person may possess a gun wherein there is an open season for deer with guns specified in s. NR 10.01 (3) (e), unless the gun is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. Exceptions:

NR 10.09(2)(a)
(a) Target shooting at established ranges.

NR 10.09(2)(b)
(b) Hunting on licensed game farms and shooting preserves.

NR 10.09(2)(c)
(c) Hunting waterfowl during the open season.

FLR&@

imported post

Has anyone ever actually kicked a D.N.R. warden off of there property or tried to?

Hillmann

imported post

FLR72 wrote:
Has anyone ever actually kicked a D.N.R. warden off of there property or tried to?

I have never kicked a game warden off my roperty but I have Kicked a cop off my property once. I don't see why a Warden would be anny diffrent. If you tell them to leave (don't be rude) and they don't you could file a complaint later or call the cops about a trespasser with a gun who won't leave after being told to. Also if you ask for proof of ID they have to show it to you so that could make fileing a complant easier. Although this is assuming they don't have probable cause or ras which they obtainde before entering your property.

As far as the open field doctren goes, that dosen't give them the ability to trespass. they can watch you reom the road or from a planeor anywhare off you property to get ras or probable cause but if they come on to your property without it you can kick them off. Unless of course there is a DNR clause in the 4th amendment.

Yooper

imported post

Nutczak wrote
Are you speaking somehow that MI has less restrictive laws than WI?
I think the MI lawsare horrible!!!!! I could not imagine the foulness stemming from me needing to ask the local constabulary forpermission to purchase a firearm? WTF is up with that deal?

As far as I am concerned the police have no right orneed to know if, what type, or how many firearms I may or may not have in my possession. If they feel the need to find out, they can ask, but they would not be getting an answer.

Now back on topic, Hunting season. The only critters I plan on killing this year are the Coyotes that keep bringing gifts and leaving them on my steps every morning for my dog. The only time I cannot legally shoot those nasty bastards is during rifle deer season. 6:30 A.M. every frigging morning they are at my bedroom window yipping to try and get the dogs attention. She sees them and tries tearing the screen out of the window to tear them apart. I am trying to hold off until we get a few frost's so the pelts are better, but this is getting stupid with their tactics.
No, I wasn't talking about the general gun laws, hopefully we can get rid of the handgun purchase permit after next election.
What I was referring to was the hunting regulations.

From Constitutionalist's post:

It is illegal to:

Notice they don't say "its illegal to hunt with", they say its illegal to POSSESS! So the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions, as well as Supreme Court case law is all suspended from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009??????

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

To add even more stupidity to the law. There is no prohibition onposessing and carrying a Thomson Center Encore handgun in, for example, 30-06 caliber in a shotgun only area. Also, just as stupid, you can't carry or posses a .44 magnum carbine in a shotgun only area but you can posess a .44 magnum handgun in a shotgun only area. The ballistics of each are virtually identical. The restriction only applies to rifles.

AaronS

imported post

Hey, lets not pick on my lil .44 mag. It is all I have for hunting.:dude:

You are correct though. The guy next door to me has a .44 carbine, and he is a bit mad that I can use my hand gun, but his rifle is out. We use the same rounds as well. I do think his carbine is getting about 600 FPS faster shots, but again that is not that much... I guess the DNR Gods just hate us. I think it is time we start rethinking the DNR as a whole. I am thinking we need a new system in place to do the simple job that was given to them. To tell me that I have no right at all to self protection in a DNR controlled park or area, is just out of line. It is also in direct violation of A.1 S.25 of the Wis Const. I have been in a fight to try to get the DNR to admit this, but, you can guess how that is going for me so far... To think, at one time I had respect for the DNR... No more at all... It is sad...

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I asked for an explanation on the goofy archery license sales rules about needing to wait 3 full days (excluding the day it was purchased) before it is legal to use it if you purchased it while the season is open. But If I purchase the evening before opening day, why do I not need to wait 3 days to hunt.

I was told it has to do with poaching,because people would wait to buy their tags until after they shot a deer, so that's why the 4-day wait to try and stop that practice. So yes, I agree the hunting regs do need to be revamped due to their stupidity and uselessness.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some more:

I can deer hunt with my 32 caliber Iver Johnson revolver because it measures 5 5/8 inch from end of muzzle to firing pin but not with a Model 1911 .45 caliber semi automatic pistol because it only measures 5 inches from end of muzzle to firing pin.

All the Wisconsin firearm laws are messed up, be it for personal protection or hunting.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From the 2009 deer hunting regulations posted on the DNR web site:

[align=left]
To be legal for deer, handguns must use center-fire cartridges of .22 caliber or
larger and have a 5½ inch minimum barrel, measured from the firing pin to the muzzle with the action closed.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Yes, I see that the requirements have changed in recent years. I remember the hand gun you used use to have to produce a certain amount of Foot pounds at the muzzle.

Constitutionalist

imported post

So we should all contact our state senators and reps and ask them to introduce a bill changing the laws to be consistent with the constitution. Changing the wording from "possess" to "hunt" may be all that is needed. I can't wait to see what that screaming liberal rep. I have Jon Richards says.

Glockface

imported post

I have news for you guys who think you can kick a game warden off your property!If the warden wants to walk on your land and check your hunting license he can!