• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting season

Hillmann

imported post

Hunting season for doves opens today!!!!!!!!!, and only 11 more days till squirrle and grouse. I can't wait. Is anyone else planing to do any early season hunting?

maldog

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Hunting season for doves opens today!!!!!!!!!, and only 11 more days till squirrle and grouse. I can't wait. Is anyone else planing to do any early season hunting?
I'll be leaving Las Vegas, NV this Fri morning at 3am to head to Az for some dove hunting :D:celebrate

Yooper

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Unfortunately the anti's passed a dove hunting ban in this state a few years ago.
But partridge (aka ruffed grouse) season opens on the 15th....and Bow season for deer on Oct. 1

I'm waiting impatiently to go hunting, what I'm not waiting for is the 5-6 months of snow cover that will soon follow.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glockface wrote:
I'll be bowhunting for deer on 9-12.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just itching to get out into the woods. I wonder what the DNR thinks of my "self defense" weapon in addition to my bow. I guess we'll find out if they decide to tresspass on my property.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The 4th Ammendment should apply equally to the department of neverending restrictions as it does to other "law enforcement" officers.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Dont they need RAS or probable cause?
No. That's why I wrote "privilege".

pvtschultz wrote:
The 4th Ammendment should apply equally to the department of neverending restrictions as it does to other "law enforcement" officers.

Normative and prescriptive statements, characterized by 'would', 'should' and 'could', do not have truth values, cannot be falsified and are, thus, not 'scientific'. (after Sir Karl Popper)

I'll look around a bit and see if I can't find something. Y'all need to read The Lakeland Times.

Hillmann

imported post

what do you mean when you say truspassing is a privlage for them. Do you mean it is a privlage given to them by the landowner by not kicking them out. Or dou you mean that they get that privlage simpley by being gamewardens.

Hillmann

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
If I Recall Correctly - IIRC - there is a provision in Wisc. Statute Law or maybe a NR code granting officers privilege to trespass uninvited. IIRC Wisconsin has presumed effective notice to trespassers of all sorts.
And how do the get away with sidestepping the 4 th amendment? Didn't MN have a simular situation a few years back about searching fish houses without a warrent?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

As per the ousted hunters safety instructor stated;

"For 14 years, I've been teaching my students the same thing, over and over and over," Palan told The Lakeland Times.

The first thing he teaches is, he said, when a person is on private property and a warden stops and asks to see a license, the first thing to do is ask the warden for his credentials. The second thing, Palan said, is to boot the warden off the property because he's trespassing.

Although the DNR does have certain far-reaching jurisdiction, being on private property without permission is not one of them.

You can read one of R. Moores articles here http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=8907

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some case law regarding this would be nice. I've been searching the WI Bar caselaw files and didn't find anything regarding the matter.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
Some case law regarding this would be nice. I've been searching the WI Bar caselaw files and didn't find anything regarding the matter.

You may find what you want by googling "Wisconsin State Statutes" and scanning the resulting PDF files for keywords. I doubt you will find relevant caselaw, but you should find numbered statutes that clearly limits their authority on private property.

Thefewrelevant documentsI can think of that limit their ability to enter private property would be the 4th amendment to the U.S. constutution, and I am sure others will fit too.

Constitutionalist

imported post

The supreme court has an "open field" doctrine which put simply says you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in an open field, hence they can investigate on your land without a warrant. You only have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your person, papers, home, business, and vehicle.
To put this into real life context say you have a farm, you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the home, barn, garage or any outbuildings, and in the yard around your home, but not in your fields or woods.

As far as the trespassing I haven't researched that yet, but will get back to you when I do.

The bigger question for me is these DNR policies taken out of the 2009 Hunters Regulations:

It is illegal to:
• possess any firearm from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009 unless
the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. Exceptions: target
shooting at established target ranges, target shooting on private lands by landowners
and immediate family members who live with them, waterfowl hunting during
open season, hunting game birds on licensed bird hunting preserves, and hunting
small game in CWD Management Zone units.
Note: An established target range means an existing location that is set up for
target shooting with firearms as its major purpose.

• It is illegal to possess any rimfire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle
.22 caliber or larger during any gun deer season in shotgun only areas unless it is
unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

Notice they don't say "its illegal to hunt with", they say its illegal to POSSESS! So the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions, as well as Supreme Court case law is all suspended from 12:00 midnight–11:59 p.m. on November 20, 2009??????

So no OC'ing on November 20th anywhere in the state, and no toting a rifle around unless it's a .22 or smaller in shotgun only areas. If you don't know what shotgun only areas are your fuc*ed I guess.

Unbelievable!:banghead: