• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I had the cops called on me for carrying!

Facejackets

imported post

Ok, I am not typing this all again. I am going to copy and paste the two posts from Nevada Shooters.

The first post was posted from my cell phone while I was sitting down at the Carls Jr, and the second was after I got home.

I am sitting in Carls Jr and I am OCing my glock17 on my right hip.

The security guard has been eyeing me since I walked in. He walked outside and called someone on his cell. Then he came back in and went behind the counter and pointed at me and whispered something and has been staring out the window like he is waiting for someone.

He just went outside and is looking up and down the street like he is expecting someone.

Wish me luck! Lol

This next post is after I got home.

Ok, well the cops did show up, and it was a pretty nice coversation. The cop was a cool guy, I should have gotten his card and told him about NS.

My girlfriend got sick of sitting there, so we got up and went to our cars. He followed me to my car and wrote down my license plate number, so I got back out of my car and said to him "Hey buddy, you can tell them I am going to take Nellis to Charleston, and Charleston up to Hollywood". And he goes "Tell who?". So I said "I assumed you called the police on me, and I am going to go home now, so I wanted to let you know where I was heading". So he asks where I am going again and writes it down. So I asked him if he knew that OC is legal in Las Vegas, and then he sayd "I know, but you should really get a CCW, I have one for 4 of my weapons, it is much safer, if you carry in the open, you'll get shot by a cop". I said I OC every where and have never had a problem. I told him to have a good night and I got back in my car and started it up and the police called his cell phone.

He told me the police will be here in less than a minute so I said I'd stay and got out of my car. I pulled out my DL,CCW, and blue card just to be on the safe side.

The cop pulled up and started walking up to us and the security guard says "This person has a gun on his hip", and the cop replied "And?" -LOL

The cop said, you know he isn't breaking any laws right? He is within his rights to carry his sidearm like that, it is ok, why don't you go stand over there and I'll talk to him for a few.

The first thing he does, is look at my gun, and say "Damn bro, you need a better holster than that!" I knew it was going to be ok from then on. He told me I was free to go, and I don't have to talk to him if I didn't want but he would run me if I wanted him to, I tolld him I didn't care either way so he just handed me back my stuff and we kept talking.

He was telling me how much safer CCing is because a BG can pick me out of a crowd and "smoke" me. lol He was going over the dangers of OC and was being cool and kept saying he wasn't trying to chastise me for exercising my right, but he was just trying to give me a few tips.

He was kind of making fun of the security guard too. He said this is that guys hot call, and this is a lot of action for the guy and laughing about it.

He told me how much he loved his HK USP.45 too.

All in all, it was a great LEO/OC encounter, and I think the cop educated the security guard about what is legal and not legal.

I can't wait to get my new CCW in the mail so I can carry my 26 so I won't have to deal with anymore b/s from security guards that don't know whats up.

Maybe it was the cops training on OC, maybe it wasn't. I think this LEO just knew what was going on. He was really into guns, and told me he carried for 10+ years before he became a LEO.

Either way, I am glad it went like it went.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Facejackets wrote:
So I asked him if he knew that OC is legal in Las Vegas, and then he sayd "I know, but you should really get a CCW, I have one for 4 of my weapons, it is much safer, if you carry in the open, you'll get shot by a cop".

The cop pulled up and started walking up to us and the security guard says "This person has a gun on his hip", and the cop replied "And?" -LOL

The cop said, you know he isn't breaking any laws right? He is within his rights to carry his sidearm like that, it is ok, why don't you go stand over there and I'll talk to him for a few.

He told me how much he loved his HK USP.45 too. YAY

All in all, it was a great LEO/OC encounter, and I think the cop educated the security guard about what is legal and not legal.

I can't wait to get my new CCW in the mail so I can carry my 26 so I won't have to deal with anymore b/s from security guards that don't know whats up.
Seriously? **** that security guard (speaking as one myself). He said he KNEW OC was legal, and yet he reported you to be a criminal ANYWAY! The cop should have educated him with a couple of citations worth a few hundred dollars for abuse of the 911 system and making knowingly, intentional false reports. Get that ****'s guard license # and report him to the licensing board! http://nevadapilb.glsuite.us/

:cuss:

maldog

imported post

Great job for Las vegan's.................................Thank you very much!

Also for keeping your cool and not pistol whipping the security guard! :banghead:

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You knew you were doing nothing illegal, the security guard knew you were doing nothing illegal, and the cop knew you were doing nothing illegal.

So why did you get your info ready and hang out in the parking lot? I know you said it would only be a minute to the police arrived, but that's also plenty of time for you to be on your way.

Getting all your info out and ready means you want to expedite the situation, but staying for the cop to arrive means you're willing to have the situation delay you.

Now obviously the results were good, but what if they hadn't been? You could have avoided the whole situation simply by ignoring the security guard and going on your way.

Please don't misunderstand my questions as disapproval or criticism in any way. I am just curious as to your thought process. You give open carriers a good name.

Tim

Tophog

imported post

Tim,

Having beena majorpromoterof Vegas OC'ing, you probably know what could have happened. How's this:

Ifhe left, "he must be up to something", or at least the cops will want to see what's up.

The guard describes the vehicle, the cop puts out a call, and now there are a bunch of cops looking for him.

When they stop him, it's a situation that could turn out a lot different.

By staying put and acting calm, itwas not considered a threat or questionable act.

-

I think what he did was the easiest and safest. Andthat the cop straightened out the guard isgreat!

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fair enough. Like I said I wasn't trying to be anything but supportive. I was just curious as to the thoughts that went through his head while he was deciding whether to stay or go. I'm especially happy this was a positive police encounter. Those are my favorite stories to read on this forum. It reinforces that not all police abuse their power, and in fact, most are very professional.

And you make a very good point about the potential situation that could arise if he leaves the scene. But this is always the risk when OC'ing anyway. If OP had not interacted with the security guard and never known police were called, the same thing could have gone down - guard gives police description of vehicle, etc.

I've publicly stated I won't cooperate with police under any circumstances, but certainly don't expect others to do the same, and know some people think I'm a little wacky on that one. Knowing most people choose to cooperate with police, I just enjoy hearing and considering their perspective. It helps me grow as a person. :)

I think this is a textbook example of how to be cooperative and reap the benefits of a positive interaction.

wrightme

imported post

The response from tophog sounds plausible, but I also am interested in what rationale facejackets used. Like timf, my interest is academic, and is not meant to be argumentative, accusatory, or insulting. Simple curiosity is all it is.

Facejackets

imported post

The reason why I had all my info out before the police arrived is I didn't want me reaching my hand over my gun in front of the officer.

When I found out the police were near I stayed because in their mind I was a MWAG fleeing the scene. I wasn't in the mood to be stopped and proned out on nellis.

I think I am going to go back to that carls jr and get that guards lic. #

I am not the type of person to give the police a hard time, especially if there is not a reason too

1245A Defender

imported post

timf343 wrote:
You knew you were doing nothing illegal, the security guard knew you were doing nothing illegal, and the cop knew you were doing nothing illegal.

Please don't misunderstand my questions as disapproval or criticism in any way. I am just curious as to your thought process. You give open carriers a good name.

Tim

The first thing he does, is look at my gun, and say "Damn bro, you need a better holster than that!" I knew it was going to be ok from then on. He told me I was free to go, and I don't have to talk to him if I didn't want but he would run me if I wanted him to, I tolld him I didn't care either way so he just handed me back my stuff and we kept talking.

if all of you knew you were lagal? why did the cop have "your stuff"?

joeschmo

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
timf343 wrote:

Tim

I'm gonna go out on a whim and say probably because he handed it to the officer when the came up to him...

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

I had anencounter this springit also turned out pretty good considering , however after a while I got pretty steamed, as they newI wasn't doing anything illegal and questioned me anyway. In the end it was a growing experience, and I learned a lot. I would not handle that situation the same if it happened today. With that said there are so many variences for your brain to handle, while under stress. I can say that he , as I did, made all the judgment calls to the best of his ability, and two days from now he will be researching the validity of the constructive critisism he recieved. cause he will feel a little violated. Bro you did great. and you will grow from this , and it adds to your determination. Good feedback as well.... we are a team.

Facejackets

imported post

joeschmo wrote:
2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
timf343 wrote:

Tim

I'm gonna go out on a whim and say probably because he handed it to the officer when the came up to him...

ding ding ding we have a winner.

Tophog

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Fair enough. Like I said I wasn't trying to be anything but supportive. I was just curious as to the thoughts that went through his head while he was deciding whether to stay or go. I'm especially happy this was a positive police encounter. Those are my favorite stories to read on this forum. It reinforces that not all police abuse their power, and in fact, most are very professional.

And you make a very good point about the potential situation that could arise if he leaves the scene. But this is always the risk when OC'ing anyway. If OP had not interacted with the security guard and never known police were called, the same thing could have gone down - guard gives police description of vehicle, etc.

I've publicly stated I won't cooperate with police under any circumstances, but certainly don't expect others to do the same, and know some people think I'm a little wacky on that one. Knowing most people choose to cooperate with police, I just enjoy hearing and considering their perspective. It helps me grow as a person. :)

I think this is a textbook example of how to be cooperative and reap the benefits of a positive interaction.
Tim,

I didn't think you were anything but supportive.I sort offigured where you were coming from, but I just didn't know if you had considered the aspect I brought up.

Like another member posted, MWAG leaving the 'scene', whether or not there really was a 'scene', can escalate. That was my take. I just worded it differently.

You approach some things differently than I would, but I applaud everything you have done. You got more balls than I do. However, I enjoyed the NLVOC cleanup, and I would do it again.

-

I still am sometimeshesitant to offer input,since I got you into that barrage on Nevada Shooters. Istarted thepost to enlighten people that others are doing their part, and it just exploded.:shock:

-

Oh, well, everything worked out ok.

Bob

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This is the coolest police encounter I've read. I'm rather jealous.

shad0wfax

imported post

Tophog wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:
This is the coolest police encounter I've read. I'm rather jealous.
C'mon out to Nevada! :D
I may just do that. I wonder if they'll let me into the SHOT show while OC...?

EDIT: foiled again...
Per Sands Expo Convention Center (SECC) policy, personal firearms or ammunition are not allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the show floor.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tophog wrote:
I still am sometimeshesitant to offer input,since I got you into that barrage on Nevada Shooters. Istarted thepost to enlighten people that others are doing their part, and it just exploded.:shock:
Don't worry about that at all. It was a good discussion. A little heated at times, but we got through it.

threadedcac9

imported post

Hey all,

On my way to Vegas soon from Florida and just found out cant conceal here anymore. Not going to the strip much. Has anyone ever had a problem with police arresting anyone for OC like a public nuisance charge or find any other way to take you in? To my understanding the law or NRS does not really say anything about OC, whether you can or can not do it?