• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bridge Walk

T.J.

imported post

I'm wondering if anyone is planning on walking the bridge this Labor Day. I think it would be great to have a group of OCer's and there families walking together.

lapeer20m

imported post

i googled real quick to see who owns the bridge or if there are any restrictions on firearms.

It is owned by The Mackinac Bridge Authority, which was created by the legislature.

No rules that i could find about weapons or firearms during the bridge walk, or any other time. It is state owned, so it seems it would be covered under pre-emption even if they had a rule.

I walked the bridge for the first time last year. Perhaps i can talk my wife into doing it again this year. We both have the day off.

Thebiggest obsticle I seeis trying to oc without a cpl. Most people take a shuttle bus across the bridge, then walk back.The solution to thisproblem is tofindsomeone who doesn't mind driving across the bridge to drop us off, then driving back across the bridge to meet up with us after we finish our walk. Or we could leave a car on the north side of the bridge, then drive a different car across once the walk is over. Either way it will be a bit of a pita.

There is an awesome pizza joint that's not too expensive right in downtown wherewe could all meet afterwards to hang out. Not sure about theirpolicy on OC.

If we go, we'll be driving up on sunnight and staying in a hotel about an hour from the bridge...at least thats' how we did it last year.

any volunteers to drive a few of us across the bridge?

autosurgeon

imported post

A person with a CPL can borrow any other registered pistol and there is no limit to how many you can carry under your CPL. THey could use a hard side suitcase and some towels to safely transport everyones guns!

T.J.

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
i googled real quick to see who owns the bridge or if there are any restrictions on firearms.

It is owned by The Mackinac Bridge Authority, which was created by the legislature.

No rules that i could find about weapons or firearms during the bridge walk, or any other time. It is state owned, so it seems it would be covered under pre-emption even if they had a rule.

I walked the bridge for the first time last year. Perhaps i can talk my wife into doing it again this year. We both have the day off.

Thebiggest obsticle I seeis trying to oc without a cpl. Most people take a shuttle bus across the bridge, then walk back.The solution to thisproblem is tofindsomeone who doesn't mind driving across the bridge to drop us off, then driving back across the bridge to meet up with us after we finish our walk. Or we could leave a car on the north side of the bridge, then drive a different car across once the walk is over. Either way it will be a bit of a pita.

There is an awesome pizza joint that's not too expensive right in downtown wherewe could all meet afterwards to hang out. Not sure about theirpolicy on OC.

If we go, we'll be driving up on sunnight and staying in a hotel about an hour from the bridge...at least thats' how we did it last year.

any volunteers to drive a few of us across the bridge?
I live an hour from the bridge, Gaylord so we could definately work something out. I have a cpl too, so that's not a problem either.

lapeer20m

I am planning to walk the bridge this year with my inlaws. I will be oc'ing of coarse.

anyone else planning to attend?

btw, you can park in mackinac and take a bus across the bridge for $5.00. according to the website:

"The buses are hired for your convenience by the Mackinac Bridge Authority".

The question is, am I required to open carry on the bus since the vehicle is owned by a school district? I have cpl obviously. (the question: is the bus considered "school property."

Do "they" have the legal authority to prohibit me from getting on the bus while oc'ing?

*eta*

shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A school or school property

i am inclined to think school buses are not premises.

Last edited:

Bronson

Isn't a bus the school's 'property'? :uhoh:

28.425o

As used in this section, "school" and "school property" mean those terms as defined in section 237a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.237a.

750.237a

(c) “School property” means a building, playing field, or property used for school purposes to impart instruction to children or used for functions and events sponsored by a school, except a building used primarily for adult education or college extension courses.

I would say that buses being rented to the Bridge Authority to convey citizens across the bridge would not qualify as a "school purpose to impart instruction to children" or as a school sponsored event.

ETA:

257.1865 Use of school bus for transporting persons other than pupils

Bronson

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

I cant do the bridge walk this year,i have an offroading trip,but next year im going to try and walk it.

Last edited:

lapeer20m

thats good info. although i oc almost everywhere, i would prefer to cc on the bus as i will be with my inlaws and being denied entry to the bus would essentially keep us from walking the bridge and ruin the trip.

i do plan to oc everywhere except standing in line for the buses.

lapeer20m

oc'd on the bridge, no problems. Only had one person say anything to me, and it was positive.

There were two non firearm issues i ran across related to the bridge. One was a sign for all the walkers to read that stated

"all packages subject to search"

It should have continuted: with reasonable suspicion or the owners permission.

Another potential 4th amendment issue is the firewood checkpoint. The msp was apparently directing certain vehicles (mostly pickup trucks with tonneau covers) to stop before entering the UP and conducting searches of these vehicles for firewood.

I am ok with trying to stop the spread of invasive beatles, but i am not ok with stop and search checkpoints. I wonder what happens when the officer asks to search your vehicle and you say NO?

PDinDetroit

oc'd on the bridge, no problems. Only had one person say anything to me, and it was positive.

There were two non firearm issues i ran across related to the bridge. One was a sign for all the walkers to read that stated

"all packages subject to search"

It should have continuted: with reasonable suspicion or the owners permission.

Another potential 4th amendment issue is the firewood checkpoint. The msp was apparently directing certain vehicles (mostly pickup trucks with tonneau covers) to stop before entering the UP and conducting searches of these vehicles for firewood.

I am ok with trying to stop the spread of invasive beatles, but i am not ok with stop and search checkpoints. I wonder what happens when the officer asks to search your vehicle and you say NO?

My guess is that it would be similar to how OC'ers have been treated when stating "I do not consent to any searches". They would pressure you to comply and search anyways if they really wanted to. It would then be up to you to file a complaint. Not saying I like this at all, but probably what would happen.

kyleplusitunes

I saw someone ask if you had to OC on a school but... isn't OC on a bus impossible since a weapon inside a vehicle always CC? could have been a prosecution loophole if a bus is school property

lapeer20m

First of all, nowhere does the law indicate that a pistol in a vehicle is concealed, only that a cpl is required to possess a pistol concealed or otherwise in a vehicle.

2nd, 28.425o lists "premises" where concealed pistols are prohibited. I am quite confident buses in this scenario are not premises, or school property.

(c) “School property” means a building, playing field, or property used for school purposes to impart instruction to children or used for functions and events sponsored by a school, except a building used primarily for adult education or college extension courses.