• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in a state forest?

armypilot

Burton, Texas - Wallingford, Connecticut, USA
imported post

I know that we cannot carry in state parks, but I was wondering about "state forests". I am going to the American Legion/People's forest for the holiday weekend and noticed them warning and suggestions on the website that one (and one's pet) wears plenty of orange when hiking the deeper trails because of the hunting. So that got me to thinking and I can't seem to find an answer to this question. It shows up on the camping sites as federal land, but is called a state forest. I'm a bit confused- which is it and can we carry there? Anyone know?

gluegun

imported post

I'd refer you to the thread on State Parks, but I believe the language includes all state owned land. This would include state forests and as of Feb 2010, National Parks/Forests within the State of Connecticut.

If the language includes all state owned land, then you cannot carry in state forests.

gluegun

imported post

Also:

National Forests defer to state law on carry issues.
National Parks defer to federal law on carry issues until February 2009, when they will defer to state law.

gluegun

imported post

Apparently, I've been mistaken in the past. The State Parks law does NOT apply to National Parks. The Credit CARD Act of 2009 makes carrying guns legal in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges in whatever way is legal throughout the state. This means you CAN carry your firearm in the following locations since they are managed by the National Park Service:
  • Appalachian National Scenic Trail (Maine to Georgia, CT,GA,MA,MD,ME,NC,NH,NJ,NY,PA,TN,VA,VT,WV)
  • Quinebaug & Shetucket Rivers Valley National Heritage Corridor (Putnam, CT)
  • Weir Farm National Historic Site (Ridgefield & Wilton, CT)
http://home.nps.gov/applications/parksearch/state.cfm?st=CT

Or National Wildlife Refuge:
  • Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge (Westbrook, CT)
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=53546

Since state law doesn't mandate concealment, you can carry open or concealed at the above listed locations.

Explanation from NPS: http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=416340

Note: Carry is still prohibited until Feb. 22, 2010 when this legislation takes effect.

Enjoy!

Leverdude

imported post

About the state forest thing, first I'v heard of it. If you can hunt it can you still not carry?
Also there are at least two shooting ranges on state land as far as I know. One in Danbury on Wooster MTN state park, which is also huntable for small game & the state regs say you can use a rimfire handgun for small game. The other is High Rock range in the Naugatuck state forest. Since CT considers having an unloaded locked up handgun in you car carrying, if its illegal to carry in a state forest OR park how does one utilize these facilities without breaking the law?

This state really has some convoluted legislation on the books that needs to be rethought before they go trying to develop new things.

gluegun

imported post

State parks and Forests are under the authority of DEP according to statute. DEP regulations prohibit the carrying of firearms in State Parks and Forests except under certain circumstances:
- At an official shooting range on state land.
- A permitted historical reenactment
- While hunting with a handgun and both a hunting license and valid Permit to Carry

There may be one more, but I can't think of it right now. I've posted this a number of times on a number of different forums before with sources. Please don't ask me to look it up again.

Leverdude

imported post

I can look it up myself, thanks for the heads up anyway. I dont consider parks & forests the same & never gave it a second thought. I imagine the DEP rule is due to game enforcement etc, I wonder if support for something letting permit holders carry would fly.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Yeah you'd think so. If you go in the woods and shoot something with your pistol, and get caught.. well you're a poacher and they will steal your pistol.

If you go into the woods and a rabid critter comes at you, then you should be able to defend against that. If the DEP complains, they can take the corpse away for testing.

Why should my right to self defense end in the forest?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Just another case where theissuesmay need to be addressed if the Second Amendment is Incorporated to the states.

Every law, regulation and govermnet rulewill be subject to challenge to determine if thethey are 'REASONABLE".

AGust82

imported post

I spoke with a CTENCON officer (game warden) about this issue a few weeks ago. He had no problem with a permit holder carrying a pistol while hunting. The gun you choose to carry will go a long way to convince him if you are hunting with it or not. A .38 snubnose to protect yourself from wacko anti-hunters is a lot more believable than a .44 mag with an 8" barrel. Also, whether or not you are hunting is at the discretion of the officer. If you are "hiking" with a hangun on you, don't have a turkey call, doe urine, big knife, and camo clothes on. "Scouting" and "poaching" can look awefully similar to a cynical LEO.

AGust82

imported post

Unfortunately it does. A game warden's job in the off season is to catch poachers. In the unlikely event that you are stopped by one and questioned about having a firearm, your intent is what he has to decide on. He has to believe you are indeed hiking, and not hunting.

There are like 4 of these guys walking around.I wouldn't sweat it. They don't have time to arrest you for carrying a Glock in the woods.

Leverdude

imported post

AGust82 wrote:
Unfortunately it does. A game warden's job in the off season is to catch poachers. In the unlikely event that you are stopped by one and questioned about having a firearm, your intent is what he has to decide on. He has to believe you are indeed hiking, and not hunting.

There are like 4 of these guys walking around.I wouldn't sweat it. They don't have time to arrest you for carrying a Glock in the woods.

In most of the country & to most people its easy to tell for the most part. Since you cant hunt in CT with any handgun over a 22 should make it easier anyway, but only a real numb nutz would say you were hunting while carrying a 380, 9MM or even a 45. Tucked away while hiking thru the woods.

I agree about the likelyhood of having any trouble. I'v always carried in state forests but not parks. I wonder if this a DEP regulation or actual statute?