• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Budget on Rell's Desk increases gun fees!

gluegun

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
You will see what was $35 + $19.25 is now $70 + $19.25 + $50!
I'm looking at the instructions from my 2001 permit application:
  • $24 money order for fingerprints processing
  • $35 will be retained by the local authority
  • $35 will be returned to the applicant to be brought to DPS.
The town always got a portion of the total cost of the permit. In fact I was under the impression that getting a pistol permit would cost $19.25 + ($70x2), so this is better than it could have been, though it's still certainly terrible.

To my knowledge, the town has never done any of the work except to issue the temporary permit and take the fingerprints. State has always run the state and FBI background check. This is why need to eliminate the town from the equation.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I agree that the town should not be in the equation.

Most people pick up their temp permit, and drive directly to the nearest State Police Troop that handles permits and get their permanent permit.

No need to add the town in there!!!

mrjam2jab

imported post

gluegun wrote:
mrjam2jab wrote:
You will see what was $35 + $19.25 is now $70 + $19.25 + $50!
I'm looking at the instructions from my 2001 permit application:
  • $24 money order for fingerprints processing
  • $35 will be retained by the local authority
  • $35 will be returned to the applicant to be brought to DPS.
The town always got a portion of the total cost of the permit. In fact I was under the impression that getting a pistol permit would cost $19.25 + ($70x2), so this is better than it could have been, though it's still certainly terrible.

To my knowledge, the town has never done any of the work except to issue the temporary permit and take the fingerprints. State has always run the state and FBI background check. This is why need to eliminate the town from the equation.

That was 2001....now if you are a new applicant...(guessing you dont have to renew thru local 1st)...It will cost you (CT resident)
  • $19.25 for fingerprint
  • $50 for fingerprint
  • $70 retained by local authority
  • $70 returned to applicant to be brought to DPS

gluegun

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
That was 2001....now if you are a new applicant...(guessing you dont have to renew thru local 1st)...It will cost you (CT resident)
  • $19.25 for fingerprint
  • $50 for fingerprint
  • $70 retained by local authority
  • $70 returned to applicant to be brought to DPS
After reading the application again I see you're correct. 19.25+50+70+70=209.25 to exercise what should be a right. Pitiful.

However, renewals are only $70 if I'm not mistaken. You only need to do the DPS part. They already have your fingerprints on file and there's no need to go to the local authority since they've already deemed you "suitable."

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

In Pennsylvania, the cost to purchase is the purchase price, period (plus five bucks for the instant background check).

The cost of the license (essentially only required for concealed carry or carry in a vehicle) is anywhere between $19 and $45, depending on the county. No fingerprinting. No required safety/training course.

But, for Connecticut, wouldn't the social welfare groups be up in arms over the outrageous fees charged since it effectively prevents lower income people from obtaining the ability to defend themselves and their loved ones?

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Since the state has raised the price of ALL licenses to help balance the budget, I believe that all the social WELFARE groups are OK with it seeing that they will still get their piece of the pie from our plates and they wont get their programs cut.

I have not actually checked any facts to see if this is true just one of those "It would make sense" kind of statement.

romma

imported post

Code:

Some of those towns subject people to an intrusive interview, and force applicants to get lettersof reference. Which IMO is a severe invasion of privacy.

ESCH

imported post

I have a question for any of you who have recently gone through the process.

When I got my permit years ago, I also needed to provide passport size photo's for the file at my local pd and have all paperwork notorized. Do these things still need to be provided? When I my permt these two things were also additional costs.

So to answer the question above, a citizen's total cost would be:

19.25 for background check

50.00 for fingerprints

70.00 for local authority

70.00 for state-DPS

cost of pistol safety class

Cost of photo's and notary stamps if needed.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

ESCH wrote:
I have a question for any of you who have recently gone through the process.

When I got my permit years ago, I also needed to provide passport size photo's for the file at my local pd and have all paperwork notorized. Do these things still need to be provided? When I my permt these two things were also additional costs.

So to answer the question above, a citizen's total cost would be:

19.25 for background check

50.00 for fingerprints

70.00 for local authority

70.00 for state-DPS

cost of pistol safety class

Cost of photo's and notary stamps if needed.
Yes these things are still needed. My wife just got hers this year.

The UPS store is where she went. They do passport photos and they are also a Notary. A little one stop shopping tip for those that still have to go through the process.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Yes...i just did sent mine...photo from Walgreens $8...i had our notary from work stamp it for me. ($0)

But...

Now i'm 2nd guessing myself...i had debated actually not sending the 2nd $35 (to make $70) since everything i had predated 10/01/09 with exception of fingerprints...and my application said cost was $35+19.25...i could have pretended not to know about the increase...but now i'm thinking that BECAUSE i included the 2nd $35 that they might say i SHOULD have known about the additional $50 as well....

ESCH

imported post

Lenny, I got mine at the UPS store also now that you mentioned it. One stop shop. Do you remember what they charged for the photo's and notary? Just so we can add it to the list of costs. I can't remember.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

My wife went on her lunch hour. I wasn't there and I don't remember what she said it cost. It was much earlier this year and I am sure that she wouldn't remember...Sorry

We should also include the cost of the birth certificate with the raised stamp on it. My wife had to send a way to where she was born (TN) and get a new copy. That cost was $5 a copy.

I know when I went through the process, I had to go and get another copy also. The cost for mine was $5 many years ago.

ESCH

imported post

JGuinness wrote:
CALL GOVERNOR RELL'S OFFICE NOW.

I just got off the phone, sounds like this is going through. Flood her office and tell her staff you want this out of the budget.

By the way, this is your representation hard at "work" Connecticut:
I noticed when I saw this photo in the newspaper, The two clowns playing solitaire aren't the only ones screwing around. The computer directly behind them is on ESPN's web site. Someone probably working on their fantasybaseball team as you can see the ESPN logo and the pitcher throwing the ball.

oalves

imported post

Statkowski,

answering your question, a CT resident does not need a pistol permit to own a firearm.

Data removed on 10-16-09 to avoid future confusion.

I had entered outdated information.

oalves

Rich B

imported post

oalves,
What gun store in this state will sell you a handgun without a permit? I have never seen a single one. In fact, many will ask you for your permit before even letting you handle one from their case.

oalves

imported post

I stand corrected!
Thanks for the correction.
It has been a long time since I bought a gun without a pistol permit. I guess the rules have changed.
It seems you will need at least a handgun eligibility certificate.

Statkowski, I apologize for the error.

They ask to see your permit to handle the guns? That's rough. I have not seen that one yet.

Rich B

imported post

Yes, but most stores are inconsistent at best with the rule. I have no idea if this is a state law (I have never seen it) or just simply store/insurance rules. I would tend to assume the latter.

Last time I checked, you can find signs stating this all over Hoffman's, and I know they have asked us for our permits there before.