• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Budget on Rell's Desk increases gun fees!

gluegun

imported post

I just received this in my e-mail: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5113

"After negotiating down to a more modest 25% fee increase for pistol licenses and hunting licenses during the regular legislative session, Democratic leaders met behind closed doors working out a deal to jack the fees back up to the 100% increase originally proposed. Legislators then rubber-stamped the hikes as part of the larger budget in votes taking place in the wee hours of this morning."

It goes on. The budget as passed HB 6802 with Amendments A and C. Some of the language includes:
(a) The fee for each permit originally issued under the provisions of subsection (a) of section 29-28 for the sale at retail of pistols and revolvers shall be [one] two hundred dollars and for each renewal thereof [one] two hundred dollars. The fee for each state permit originally issued under the provisions of subsection (b) of section 29-28 for the carrying of pistols and revolvers shall be [seventy] one hundred forty dollars plus sufficient funds as required to be transmitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation to cover the cost of a national criminal history records check. The local authority shall forward sufficient funds for the national criminal history records check to the commissioner no later than five business days after receipt by the local authority of the application for the temporary state permit. Thirty-five dollars shall be retained by the local authority. Upon approval by the local authority of the application for a temporary state permit, [thirty-five] seventy dollars shall be sent to the commissioner. The fee to renew each state permit originally issued under the provisions of subsection (b) of section 29-28 shall be [thirty-five] seventy dollars. Upon deposit of such fees in the General Fund, ten dollars of each fee shall be credited within thirty days to the appropriation for the Department of Public Safety to a separate nonlapsing account for the purposes of the issuance of permits under subsections (a) and (b) of section 29-28.
and
(1) Resident firearms hunting license, [fourteen] twenty-eight dollars; (2) resident fishing license, [twenty] forty dollars; (3) resident marine waters fishing license, thirty dollars; (4) one-day resident marine waters fishing license, fifteen dollars; (5) resident all-waters fishing license, fifty dollars; (6) resident combination license to [firearms hunt and] fish in inland waters and firearms hunt, [twenty-eight] fifty-six dollars; [(4)] (7) resident combination license to fish in marine waters and firearms hunt, fifty dollars; (8) resident combination license to fish in all waters and firearms hunt, sixty dollars; (9) resident combination license to fish in all waters and bow and arrow permit to hunt deer and small game issued pursuant to section 26-86c, as amended by this act, eighty-four dollars; (10) resident firearms super sport license to fish in all waters and firearms hunt, firearms private land shotgun or rifle deer permit issued pursuant to section 26-86a, as amended by this act, and permit to hunt wild turkey during the spring season on private land issued pursuant to section 26-48a, as amended by this act, one hundred sixteen dollars; (11) resident archery super sport license to fish in all waters, bow and arrow permit to hunt deer and small game issued pursuant to section 26-86c, as amended by this act, and permit to hunt wild turkey during the spring season on private land issued pursuant to section 26-48a, as amended by this act, one hundred four dollars; (12) resident trapping license, [twenty-five] fifty dollars; [(5)] (13) resident junior trapping license for persons under sixteen years of age, [three] fifteen dollars; [(6)] (14) junior firearms hunting license, [three] fifteen dollars; [(7)] (15) nonresident firearms hunting license, [sixty-seven] one hundred thirty-four dollars; [(8)] (16) nonresident inland waters fishing license, [forty] eighty dollars; [(9)] (17) nonresident inland waters fishing license for a period of three consecutive days, [sixteen] thirty-two dollars; [(10)] (18) nonresident marine waters fishing license, sixty dollars; (19) nonresident marine waters fishing license for a period of three consecutive days, twenty-four dollars; (20) nonresident all-waters fishing license, one hundred dollars; (21) nonresident combination license to firearms hunt and inland waters fish, [eighty-eight] one hundred seventy-six dollars; [and (11)] (22) nonresident combination license to fish in all waters and firearms hunt, one hundred ninety dollars; (23) nonresident combination license to fish in marine waters and firearms hunt, one hundred seventy dollars; and (24) nonresident trapping license, two hundred fifty dollars. Persons sixty-five years of age and over who have been residents of this state for not less than one year and who meet the requirements of subsection (b) of section 26-31 may be issued [a lifetime] an annual license to firearms hunt or to fish or combination license to fish and firearms hunt or a license to trap without fee. The issuing agency shall indicate on a combination license the specific purpose for which such license is issued. The town clerk shall retain a recording fee of one dollar for each license issued by him.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/TOB/H/2009HB-06802-R00-HB.htm

(Text in square brackets is being replaced by underlined text.)

We need to call the Governor now!!!

JGuinness

imported post

CALL GOVERNOR RELL'S OFFICE NOW.

I just got off the phone, sounds like this is going through. Flood her office and tell her staff you want this out of the budget.

By the way, this is your representation hard at "work" Connecticut:

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Just got off the phone with her office.

As per our laws in this state, the Gov. has the option to

Approve

Veto

Take no action

If she approves it, she is then stating to Ct residents that she agrees with it.

If she veto's this then she is stating that she does not agree with it and our reps have to fix it!!!!

If she takes no action (which I was told,by her staff, is her plan) then after 5 days it is the new law of the land!!!!

I feel her inaction is a disgrace to her office and that as a member of the CCDL we will do our best to see that she is NOT REELECTED!!!!!

GoldCoaster

imported post

There's another option which she ought to take and that's use her line item veto power and strike those increases from the bill. She can and SHOULD cut that stuff out as well as cut the pork which I'm sure got added to the budget.

With the state in the fiscal straits it finds itself in, pussyfooting around the issues and letting a bill become law without taking a position on it is a cowardly thing to do.

buketdude

imported post

Jodi Rell is no fan of gun owners..she could care less i believe about the increase..

New--I just talked to my state rep who said many Democrats were unaware this was in there. She said she has had multiple requests and will "look into it"

mrjam2jab

imported post

The fee for each state permit originally issued under the provisions of subsection (b) of section 29-28 for the carrying of pistols and revolvers shall be [seventy] one hundred forty dollars plus sufficient funds as required to be transmitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation to cover the cost of a national criminal history records check.

Curious....i just got an app for nonresident carry mailed to me. It says $35+19.25 for fingerprints. Where is the above 70 coming from? Am i missing something???

gluegun

imported post

The "seventy" comes from Chapter 529, Section 29-30 of CGS:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-30.htm
...The fee for each state permit originally issued under the provisions of subsection (b) of section 29-28 for the carrying of pistols and revolvers shall be seventy dollars plus sufficient funds as required to be transmitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation to cover the cost of a national criminal history records check. The local authority shall forward sufficient funds for the national criminal history records check to the commissioner no later than five business days after receipt by the local authority of the application for the temporary state permit. Thirty-five dollars shall be retained by the local authority. Upon approval by the local authority of the application for a temporary state permit, thirty-five dollars shall be sent to the commissioner. The fee to renew each state permit originally issued under the provisions of subsection (b) of section 29-28 shall be thirty-five dollars. Upon deposit of such fees in the General Fund, ten dollars of each fee shall be credited within thirty days to the appropriation for the Department of Public Safety to a separate nonlapsing account for the purposes of the issuance of permits under subsections (a) and (b) of section 29-28.
That's how I remember the process. You bring three money orders to local police. When they tell you you can get the state permit you get the money order for the state back which you bring to Middletown or wherever you plan on going.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Hmmmm....so is it $70 for residents because a resident has to get a local permit first and then the state permit? Whereas, I as a non-resident, would just apply for the state permit...and therefore only cost me $35?

mrjam2jab

imported post

ahhh....now it all makes sense...:D

So...i'm guessing...even tho i dont see specifically...that the non-res fee will also double?...to $70...unless i submit it before Oct 1st?

mrjam2jab

imported post

ok....then it should time out well...i'm taking the NRA Basic this saturday...as long as the completion certificates are issued on the spot...I can can it just under the wire...

Thanks for clearing up my confusion...

mrjam2jab

imported post

Needed to bump this thread...to see if anybody else noticed...

Not only did the permit fee double...but now there is an ADDITIONAL background check fee!

Look here

You will see what was $35 + $19.25 is now $70 + $19.25 + $50!

I wound up sending in my app after the Oct 1 deadline...but didnt know about the extra $50....they better not send it back to me....$140 is a bit much...

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I was always under the impression that the local authorities did all the background work. It looks like I was wrong if the state is now getting paid to do it.