1. Nebraska now honors Virginia Permits

Good news! Effective immediately Nebraska is honoring Virginia
    concealed handgun permits.

Thanks to Jim Mullens, President of the West Virginia Citizens Defense
    League, for letting me know of this change:

http://www.ago.state.ne.us/media/Rec...un_Permits.pdf

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    1. Nebraska now honors Virginia Permits

Good news! Effective immediately Nebraska is honoring Virginia
    concealed handgun permits.

Thanks to Jim Mullens, President of the West Virginia Citizens Defense
    League, for letting me know of this change:

http://www.ago.state.ne.us/media/Rec...un_Permits.pdf
    Do you know if this includes VA non resident permits as well.? The NE AG article did not specify. I guess if it's like OC in VA, it didn't preclude it, so I guess it's allowed?

Post imported post

Yes, Nebraska will honor non-resident permits for the states whose resident permits they honor.

There are only five states that stipulate that reciprocity is only for residents of the states that they honor. These states are Colorado, Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, New Hampshire, and Maine. Of course if you have one of their own non-resident permits (e.g. Florida or New Hampshire), you are good in their state too.

I have found that www.handgunlaw.us has the most up-to-date CC information.

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    Yes, Nebraska will honor non-resident permits for the states whose resident permits they honor.

There are only five states that stipulate that reciprocity is only for residents of the states that they honor. These states are Colorado, Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, New Hampshire, and Maine. Of course if you have one of their own non-resident permits (e.g. Florida or New Hampshire), you are good in their state too.

I have found that http://www.handgunlaw.us has the most up-to-date CC information.
    The info on that site is especially good because they include the dates of updates made at the bottom of each state's page. The Virginia page has already been updated to reflect this new change.

TFred

P.S. By the way, according to the Utah page, NE now honors the Utah permit too!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    gis wrote:

I have found that http://www.handgunlaw.us has the most up-to-date CC information.
    The info on that site is especially good because they include the dates of updates made at the bottom of each state's page. The Virginia page has already been updated to reflect this new change.

TFred

P.S. By the way, according to the Utah page, NE now honors the Utah permit too!
    Do not OC in Omaha unless you either have one of their "special" permits or want to be a test case.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Does anyone know whether Nebraska's recent preemption statute also negates the requirement for handgun registration for firearms present within the city limits of Omaha? I recall there being some question regarding whether the registration requirement was negated by preemption.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    Does anyone know whether Nebraska's recent preemption statute also negates the requirement for handgun registration for firearms present within the city limits of Omaha? I recall there being some question regarding whether the registration requirement was negated by preemption.
    Laws on the books before 1991 are not preempted.
    http://law.justia.com/nebraska/codes...924025000.html

Some cities, notably Omaha, have passed ordinances which appear to be illegal (i.e.special license to OC) and are enforcing others which are preempted.

Omaha (my birthplace) is a can of worms. Care to be a test case? :?

Search the Ne. forum for threads on this. Ne. would seem to not have an extremely strong grass roots organization like VCDL to champion the movement and keep municipalities honest.

At least they have finally decided to reciprocate with a number of states including Va. on CHPs.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I looked over there last week Grape, but saw nothing of use. I have no plans to go to Nebraska, but it would've been nice to have that registration go away (kind of like Clark Co., NV and Durham Co., NC.)