• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nebraska now honors Virginia Permits

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

1. Nebraska now honors Virginia Permits

Good news! Effective immediately Nebraska is honoring Virginia
concealed handgun permits.

Thanks to Jim Mullens, President of the West Virginia Citizens Defense
League, for letting me know of this change:

http://www.ago.state.ne.us/media/Recognition_of_State_Concealed_Handgun_Permits.pdf

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

ed wrote:
1. Nebraska now honors Virginia Permits

Good news! Effective immediately Nebraska is honoring Virginia
concealed handgun permits.

Thanks to Jim Mullens, President of the West Virginia Citizens Defense
League, for letting me know of this change:

http://www.ago.state.ne.us/media/Recognition_of_State_Concealed_Handgun_Permits.pdf
Do you know if this includes VA non resident permits as well.? The NE AG article did not specify. I guess if it's like OC in VA, it didn't preclude it, so I guess it's allowed?

gis

imported post

Yes, Nebraska will honor non-resident permits for the states whose resident permits they honor.

There are only five states that stipulate that reciprocity is only for residents of the states that they honor. These states are Colorado, Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, New Hampshire, and Maine. Of course if you have one of their own non-resident permits (e.g. Florida or New Hampshire), you are good in their state too.

I have found that www.handgunlaw.us has the most up-to-date CC information.

TFred

imported post

gis wrote:
Yes, Nebraska will honor non-resident permits for the states whose resident permits they honor.

There are only five states that stipulate that reciprocity is only for residents of the states that they honor. These states are Colorado, Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, New Hampshire, and Maine. Of course if you have one of their own non-resident permits (e.g. Florida or New Hampshire), you are good in their state too.

I have found that http://www.handgunlaw.us has the most up-to-date CC information.
The info on that site is especially good because they include the dates of updates made at the bottom of each state's page. The Virginia page has already been updated to reflect this new change.

TFred

P.S. By the way, according to the Utah page, NE now honors the Utah permit too!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
gis wrote:

I have found that http://www.handgunlaw.us has the most up-to-date CC information.
The info on that site is especially good because they include the dates of updates made at the bottom of each state's page. The Virginia page has already been updated to reflect this new change.

TFred

P.S. By the way, according to the Utah page, NE now honors the Utah permit too!
Do not OC in Omaha unless you either have one of their "special" permits or want to be a test case. :(

Yata hey

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Does anyone know whether Nebraska's recent preemption statute also negates the requirement for handgun registration for firearms present within the city limits of Omaha? I recall there being some question regarding whether the registration requirement was negated by preemption.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Does anyone know whether Nebraska's recent preemption statute also negates the requirement for handgun registration for firearms present within the city limits of Omaha? I recall there being some question regarding whether the registration requirement was negated by preemption.
Laws on the books before 1991 are not preempted.
http://law.justia.com/nebraska/codes/s69index/s6924025000.html

Some cities, notably Omaha, have passed ordinances which appear to be illegal (i.e.special license to OC) and are enforcing others which are preempted.

Omaha (my birthplace) is a can of worms. Care to be a test case? :?

Search the Ne. forum for threads on this. Ne. would seem to not have an extremely strong grass roots organization like VCDL to champion the movement and keep municipalities honest.

At least they have finally decided to reciprocate with a number of states including Va. on CHPs.

Yata hey

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I looked over there last week Grape, but saw nothing of use. I have no plans to go to Nebraska, but it would've been nice to have that registration go away (kind of like Clark Co., NV and Durham Co., NC.)